Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blob Watch....

Boss Hogg

Ok, 7500 miles on the clock or there abouts. This tank,

1st Blob 113 miles

2nd blob 206

3rd blob 263 f(or some reason)

4th blob just gone today @ 343 miles

When I got the car I only managed 341 on the whole first tank full, so it is definately loosening up.

Hopefully I will achieve the magical 400 miles before the dreaded beep starts, last blob to go.

When I first saw this posting about "blobs", I thought you lot were on about something else........ :o

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boss Hogg

• PaulGP

• zakelwe

• SJandMR2

Ok, Beeps started at 404 miles, filled up at 409 miles, squeezed 35 litres in, so makes about 52.25 mpg. Not the best I have managed but a close 2nd. Didn't help today when sat in slow traffic for about 1/2 hour in Southsea........bummer. :rolleyes:

I only got 68 miles from my first blob :S but my car is brand new and i only filled up until it first cut off at the pump. I am rather heavy footed and it was all inner city driving. Hopefully it will perform a little better when it is broken in and my heavy foot learns to be lighter.

I filled up again when my tank was half empty, I got 190 miles on 20 litres which i worked out at about 44mpg, twice what I was getting in the mini.

This time I filled it up past the first cut off, and the second, third and fourth come to that :D I have done 110 miles and still have all my blobs lit! My heavy foot is a lot lighter now, people have even been over taking me! Its very interesting to see how a change in driving style can effect your mileage!

I intend to drive until the petrol gauge is flashing at me just to see how many miles I can get from a tank. I will report back in... hopefully over a months time! lol

Thought I was going to make 100 miles on the 1st blob, but it went out this morning @ 98.8 miles. :crybaby:

6/10 Must try harder.......... :D

Set a personal best yesterday - 139.1 miles before first blob going out - previous 'record' was 128.5 miles.

Standard 1.0 petrol engine, 32000 miles on the clock, mix of town and motorway driving, always filled up to the first auto-cut-out click at the petrol station with Shell standard unleaded.

FWIW my previous three tanks of petrol have given me 65, 65 and 61 mpg - the previous 31000 miles or so when I wasn't thinking so much about saving the fuel I averaged 58 mpg.

97 miles

2500 miles on clock

Running on BP ultimate

ok decided to join in blob watch, filled up to brim, 1st click, on Tuesday night, and then thursday morning 1st blob gone at 86 miles, thats doesnt sound very good :lol:

mix of city centre and back A road driving, plus I do not drive economical at all :rolleyes: (mental note: buy rev counter) plus aircon on etc!

:huh::unsure::wacko:

SJx

Its very interesting to see how a change in driving style can effect your mileage!

That is so true, I've been trying to ease up on the throttle and my last fill up gave me 51mpg, which is an improvement over my previous one of 49.

From the experts...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Driving-Driving...al-Save-Gas.htm

and surely you cannot being using NO petrol at all as you need to fuel the electrics of the car anyway wouldnt you? you surely wouldnt turn off your lights and window wipers on a wet dark night to help you save some pennies? :lol:

and we dont promote speeding on this site, I personally dont think we should be promoting coasting either as according the above experts it is illegal (hard to enforce I imagine :lol:) and from the quote from the highway code below makes reference as to why..

http://www.studydriving.com/safety-on-the-...oasting-is-bad/

am sorry I am not quite sure why I have a bug in my ***** about this but I do :lol: I hate disagreeing with people (unless its about colour or door numbers :lol2: ) but I stand by the belief that marginally reducing your mpg, which remains debatable, to the cost of safety can not be a good thing :(

SJx

Surely there is enough power in the Battery to power lights on its own for more than a minute or two :unsure:

Coasting is not very safe, either in gear, clutch down or in neutral. If you did it in your test, you would have failed, no arguement.

Turning the engine off is very very stupid and only to be recommended to the brain dead as you will have no braking assistance from the servo and no power steering, making steering even heavier. It would be funny if not so dangerous!

That said, good mileage per gallon, just.... why? I would rather enjoy the drive than try to drive like a nun wearing helium slippers, slipstreaming a moped!

That said, good mileage per gallon, just.... why? I would rather enjoy the drive than try to drive like a nun wearing helium slippers, slipstreaming a moped!

Enjoying the drive and driving economically aren't mutually exclusive - it's easy to do both

OK two more blobs gone, in one day :( no wonder I am always broke

2nd blob down went at 77 miles and third blob at 45 miles, am I getting worse or is there a funnel shape to the take. :unsure:

oh well

SJx

1st blob gone at 118 miles!

What petrol are you using?

I recorded a blob watch on my last fill with v-power & got 131 miles from the 1st blob. Total was 370 miles on 27.3 litres (still 2 blobs showing). Works out just over 61mpg - car now on 900 miles. Mainly A/B roads & little town (always under 70mph).

:cheers:

How do you all get this mega mpg? The best I've had is about 50mpg, I filled up this morning and got 44mpg!!!!! :angry:

Is there something wrong with mine? I used to get up to 50mpg out of my 1.6 Clio RSI and that was pretty quick. I'm driving on perfect roads to maximise the mpg, 5th gear on 50mph roads mainly, 1/4 of the miles on motorway, never over 70!

I'm gutted about how bad mpg is!

How do you all get this mega mpg? The best I've had is about 50mpg, I filled up this morning and got 44mpg!!!!! :angry:

Is there something wrong with mine? I used to get up to 50mpg out of my 1.6 Clio RSI and that was pretty quick. I'm driving on perfect roads to maximise the mpg, 5th gear on 50mph roads mainly, 1/4 of the miles on motorway, never over 70!

I'm gutted about how bad mpg is!

Hi Karl

It doesn't sound like you're doing too much wrong. 44 does seem a bit low though. I'm up to 1500 miles now & the last 2 fills have been around 60mpg. I do move up the gears pretty quick & keep to a max of 70. I try to minimise any harsh braking & only come to a standstill when really necessary (takes a lot of fuel to pull off from still - better to be rolling slightly - leave a good distance ahead).

Keep tabs on it & see how you go.

Enjoying the drive and driving economically aren't mutually exclusive - it's easy to do both

Yeah, I get that, just no need to be quite so anal, as they say!

Each to their own, I suppose. If we all drove the same cars, at the same speed at the same time, look at how boring driving would be. Enjoy the Aygo, peeps. B)

I've been driving my Aygo for 2 weeks now, without the revcounter which does not help, and from this second tank of petrol I am at 300 miles with 2 blobs to go. Now that is the worst it will ever be because the car is brand new and my wife has been driving it and forgetting to change up as she has been using the MMT in manual mode in 3rd gear. As you know 3rd gear will do you from 20mph to 90mph so she had been simply rowing it along in 3rd. First blob went at 75 miles with this sort of driving mode.

However I will be returning to work next week which is motorway and A road and I have just replaced the oil after 500 miles with 0W/40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic. It's a thinner oil than what came out and it is only half way up the dipstick so there should be less drag on the engine. The rest is down to driving style I think. If you are prepared to short shift really early without labouring the engine and go slow I would say 500 miles on a tankful should be achievable. We'll see though, probably get 350 only :D

Regards

Andy

The aliens are coming. . . .

No not really, but bet i had you fooled!

After reading the varying figures in the 'What mpg are you really getting' thread. I thought it would be interesting, yes my life is that quiet at the mo!, to see if i can increase mind by radically altering my driving style. I usually have a very heavy right foot, every electronic gadget on, phone on charge, heater or aircon on full, and get about 320 out of a full tank. Not the most impressive. The driving is all city, into and out of Birmingham, very stop start.

So, we have done away with all but the most important electrics, as in lights at 5 in the morning, theoretically placed an egg under the accelerator, and generally calmed down.

Full mpg figures when i fill up next but currently 'blob watch' is....

Showing full after 109 miles.

Just done 170 miles on two blobs. Town work + short (60 mile) motorway run.

Update! I am currently on 248 miles and still half a tank to go! :yahoo: My Mini's 40 litre tank would have been empty and refilled by now!! :)

Just filled up again today & the last tank has given me 59mpg. That makes the last 3 fills 62, 59 & 59 - pretty consistant (and that's without a rev counter) - even had the a/c on a few times.

It's all down to the way you drive - under 70mph & use of the gears (shift up asap) plus easy braking - keep a good distance from the car in front & only come to a complete standstill when you really have to - a lot of fuel is burned pulling off from still.

That's the way I do it & I'm happy with the results.

I use the scan gauge to change my driving style and its very acurate moving your foot 2 mm can make 2/5mpg diffrence maybe more. its worth noting flat out in 5th will give 39mpg. i did a manual test of mpg (brim drive brim) and got 69.67 MPG. (over 200 miles) this is allmost identical to what the scangauge reported.

my best ever has been 86mpg coming home from a mates house late one night but you couldn't do that with other road users, mainly did 35 mph in 5th with a lot of coasting.

Maidstone to Richmond i have managed 74 mpg.

mainly did 35 mph in 5th with a lot of coasting.

35mph in 5th?! didn't that labour the engine like mad?! surely that's not good either.

mainly did 35 mph in 5th with a lot of coasting.

35mph in 5th?! didn't that labour the engine like mad?! surely that's not good either.

only going on a straight or downhill so it was ok

I use the scan gauge to change my driving style and its very acurate moving your foot 2 mm can make 2/5mpg diffrence maybe more. its worth noting flat out in 5th will give 39mpg. i did a manual test of mpg (brim drive brim) and got 69.67 MPG. (over 200 miles) this is allmost identical to what the scangauge reported.

my best ever has been 86mpg coming home from a mates house late one night but you couldn't do that with other road users, mainly did 35 mph in 5th with a lot of coasting.

Maidstone to Richmond i have managed 74 mpg.

What's the most you have got out of a complete tankful? That's a more true test.

Regards

Andy

I can't believe there's a thread like this.

Are you lot just trying to rub it in how economical your cars are?!

:lol:

Just for comparison, i get roughly 270miles on 40litres :(

I feel sick reading this thread, but wait whats that....sunshine ahead *put's hood down* ahhhh this is bliss, who cares if i'm bankrupt by the time I reach my destination, because when I get there i'll have a golden sunkist glow!

*realisation hitting me* hmphhh we live in England, you win! :(

I had a trip up past Birmingham this week and going from Sevenoaks at 2am in the morning was ideal time to really eek out the fuel. The M40 at that time of day northbound is just bliss, for 25 miles it was just me and one trucker doing 60mph half a mile apart.

Result was 430 miles with 2 blobs to go, with a refill of 32 litres that is 61mpg. Considering my wife drove it for a period none conservation mode and I left it in 4th by mistake on the motorway for 20+ miles I definitely think that 500 miles from a tankful is a possibility. Jerry can to hand though obviously.

Regards

Andy

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links