Well I have been mega busy since Wednesday, all for the good and I'll give you a spoiler alert here now: nothing bad has happened, sort of.
Mechanical work really only consisted of me buying a cheap no name air filter from eBay and throwing it on just to see what will happen. My confidence with this is sky high, as on the box it calls itself a "high officiency air cleaner system"...
Placed it in the engine bay, looks alright. Whether it does anything other than knacker the engine remains to be seen.
Most, if not all of my time has been spent just doing body work. Starting from the front and moving to the rear, I removed the bumper and took it all apart. The idea being is that the black part of the bumper, which is textured, I want to have white and it'll look bad if I just paint it white without dealing with the texture. So I applied one or two coats of plastic primer to the black part, then several coats of filler primer (along with plastic filler to tidy up scratches etc), and then sanded back using 1200 wet'n'dry sandpaper.
After sanding it back I got quite a good smooth finish:
I did the same to the lower part, but only in patches, to make sure it looked presentable. Then on Sunday I hit it with the white paint, and I think it looks wicked. Not a bad job from a rattle can I must say! I taped off the grill part as I painted that gloss black, as it would look a bit weird if it was all painted white.
I then sprayed the grill mesh red just to see what it'd be like.
After that, I assembled the bumper and it looks brilliant I think. At the moment, other than the mechanics of it, it's probably the best bit of the car!
Once that was all complete, I put it in the garage to let it harden as the last step will be to spray a clear lacquer on it. That can't be done for at least 24 hours after the top coat has been applied. I moved on to the wing mirrors using the same techniques, except I didn't use a filler primer on them. Just plastic primer, another coat of normal primer, and then the top coat.
To finish the plastics objects off, I fitted a steel mesh to the grill I cut the guts from. Sprayed it in etch primer, fixed it to the the plastic using hot snot glue gun. Looks alright, if a bit rough as I didn't have any side cutters when I started. I bought a pair though to trim it down. Whether it fits or not I'm not sure, as I can't really fit it to the front of the car at the moment as there's nothing to fit it to. Although, really, it looks alright. Just a shame I don't have a TTE badge to fit on it!
I then moved on to the body work on the wings, as I'd like to get them done before I attach the bumper. The passenger side wing was badly rusting but I got most of it off. I then treated it to some rust converter, sprayed it with some etch primer, flattened it back (I don't know why I applied primer at this stage, but I did) then applied some body filler. I got too much hardener on it, so it looks a bit rough.
On the opposite side, there was a long rusty scratch where it had been keyed years ago, along with other bits and pieces. I removed the paint and rust from several parts but it wasn't too bad. The part where it was keyed above the arch I paplied rust converter just to make sure, applied etch primer and then attacked it with filler primer as the spots weren't too deep compared to the paint around it. There are two coats of filler primer on it at the moment, I'm going to sand it back tonight and then apply two more and see where I get to.
I went around the car removing various bits and pieces of spot rust, probably overkill, but at least they're off the body now. Applied etch primer to them to protect them in case the lovely weather turns without me knowing.
When I had a bit of filler left I applied it to the boot, just under the glass as it was going rusty. But I made a hash of that job, as you can see:
So I think I'll be respraying that back panel completely I think.
Other than that, to finish, I sprayed the wiper arms in etch primer then gloss black, and refitted it to the car along with the scuttle and bonnet! However, I ended up scratching the scuttle in the corner which annoyed me. I also don't think the wipers are set properly, but I'll check that when I have the battery back in the car and test it.
So tonight there's more to do with the body work on the wings, and I will definitely make a better start on the alloys. I've added nitromors to one wheel, but I'm going to remove it with the disc I used on the car and/or a wire brush attachment. I also need to order one dome nut for the rocker cover (as I lost one before and can't find it), and a bolt for the front engine mount. Which I seem to have misplaced for some reason.
The MOT for Paddy is also booked for Monday 20th at 10:30am, so mechanically it's fit for that. Body work is a bonus!