Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad Thing(S) You Can Think Of About Your Iq

BarryIQ

Insurance Hike might be down to euro legislation - it will be illegal from March to offer women cheaper insurance than men.

To test if this is the case get a qute for your swift and see if thats gone up aswell - if it hasnt ignore this :)

my insurance has gone up 70 quid over last year with 9 years ncb to 300 quid :rolleyes: seems like theres been big price hikes.

It is supposed to be due to all these compensation claims, legitimate or not, causing the companies to pay out more than they used to.

Also I believe there are so many uninsured drivers now that those that are insured are having to pay more to compensate for those that aren't.

Don't know how that works, but that is what I have heard.

In my case ,I used to pay about £100 a year but last year it went up to £150, so I rang and asked why the increase.

I was told they now have a minimum payment of £150 and that is what I was charged.I just took it but will shop around next time, there is no place for loyalty any more.

I like dealing with them and their little red phones, but I know I can get it for less elsewhere.

Insurance Hike might be down to euro legislation - it will be illegal from March to offer women cheaper insurance than men.

To test if this is the case get a qute for your swift and see if thats gone up aswell - if it hasnt ignore this :)

Good idea, thanks!:thumbsup:

Good idea, thanks!:thumbsup:

yes women have been getting better pricing on their insurence cos they have less accidents than men.

but they see more accidents in their rear view mirrors than men do.

The headlights are poor and don't make driving at night on unlit roads very pleasant at all. It's like the light is shining through lenses covered in mud and the high beam barely makes any difference either.

I've been with Aviva for a couple of years and the insurance costs have always been the lowest found in yellow pages etc. my renewal has just come through at £261 with a further discount of £20 if I renew on line!:thumbsup:

The headlights are poor and don't make driving at night on unlit roads very pleasant at all. It's like the light is shining through lenses covered in mud and the high beam barely makes any difference either.

I'm yet to find out how good or bad the light are. As I don't pick my iQ3 up until at least a weeks time. Is it true that the iQ2 and iQ3 lights are different to the base iQ? And which lights are we talking about here?

I'm yet to find out how good or bad the light are. As I don't pick my iQ3 up until at least a weeks time. Is it true that the iQ2 and iQ3 lights are different to the base iQ? And which lights are we talking about here?

Mine's an iQ3 and it's a chore driving at night with the headlights like they are. It seems like a hassle to change them compared to other cars too, which is why I haven't bothered.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing that is bugging me most is the Clock reset being right next to the Fuel/economy/trip mode button.

If i dont push it by mistake (learned not to now)

someone else that drives does reset the clock..

To stop this happening i collected a new iQ yesterday just for me myself.

so no need for anyone else to drive it.

Was loving the Multidrive gearbox.

(but it was on a ex demo car)

this brand new one is just feeling so much better in D

& knocks across to S & down to B very nicely.

This car feels better by far.

george

Cameras dodgy & its snowing out,

but interiors nice & fresh/clean at least for a few days.

(Tesco's had nice long rubber mats for sale/reduces because some sets had mats missing,

so got 3 long mats & 6 small for £10)

george

• 4 weeks later...

i realise that all cars when first become avalible thier could be improvements but they are so trivial on my iq 3 i don't require to mention them . what i do think however the iq could in the future be as iconic as the mini and fiat 500 . both have had a massive revival but toyota has developed something completely origional and i belive beautiful and classic .. mark my words if you have one keep it and in many years time it will be a valuble asset. i love my car as i did with my iq 2 but i like the iq3 better the chrome wing mirrors bigger wheels and engine.. i also like its still quite rare in my hometown so that all i have to say and well done toyota .. sticking by thier guns and keeping price high .

post-107237-0-86065300-1301943676_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad things about my 2009 IQ (3 speed automatic transmission)

1. No spare tire; small nails, the kit works but is an expensive flat

2. No spare tire; major road hazard, the kit is worthless and the tow truck is expensive

3. No spare tire; the kit is difficult to use in the dark of the night; especially a cold,dark,rainy-night

4. Transmission/engine torque miss match for mountain roads kills fuel economy.

5. TOO many recalls..... makes you wonder ...

6. No place to carry the required medic kit, reflector kit, and fire extinguisher

well i got a medic kit and reflector underneath the storage tray in the back and the fire extinguisher under the passenger seat.

Sxinias,

can you explain please about your "(3 speed automatic transmission)" Iq

& which country it was built for?

I thought they were all the same as the one i had roadtested in the UK back in 2009 when they first came out,

& the same as i drive now with a 2011 model & my previous 10/11.

all just fitted with a very good CVT gearbox,

Which only has 'D' 'S' 'B', but is not a 3 speed gearbox.

I am the same as 'atkiman' as having my emergency stuff stored beside where the tyre repair stuff would be.

I have removed the compressor tho, & have only 2 cans of 'Tyre weld',

Then hi-viz vest, folding triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, torch/beacon etc.

As well as telescopic ski poles,

above that colapsable elbow crutches, rain jacket,hat,gloves,

& binoculars & the owners manual for the car all in tupperware boxes,

thats with the seats in position not folded.

*fire extinguisher can go secured under or behide drivers seat on the floor,

or in the door pocket bottle carrier for getting quickly as you exit the car i would have thought*

Too much stuff carried by me really,

but since there is never a rear passenger, not near as much as their weight would be at say 75 kg +.

george

First pic is a LH drive models CVT shifter & then my RH drive shifter.

George,

3 Speed automatic. We probably have a culture/age thing going here. I'm an American living in Greece. The car was purchased new in Greece in May 2009. My IQ transmission has the same selections as yours BSD which have a definite different response corresponding to having three different gears to select from (B=1st, S=second, D=drive). My generation and part of the world always called these things a three speed automatic which is probably not technically correct ... I often call refrigerators "ice boxes" as that was what we had when I was a kid.

Here in the mountains of Greece, manual selection is often the best policy when going up and especially when descending mountains where the selection of "S or B" provides compression braking. Fuel economy drops rapidly in mountainous terrain. On the flat land .... suburban driving but not heavy city traffic ..... mileage around 55 mpg is the norm for me and somewhat less for the wife but she seldom drives. In the mountains, the mileage drops significantly to around 38 mpg which still is very good considering what happens with other cars. The characteristic of the IQ and mountains that I was referring to is if you loose your speed climbing a grade, getting it back is often a chore.

I watched the economy indicator quite a bit when I first got the IQ but hardly ever look at it now.(My car shows liters consumed per 100 kilometers.) I've learned that the conventional wisdom of slowly accelerating from a stop up to speed is not the best way to drive the IQ. It seems to me that a moderately brisk ..... not lead foot but not feather footed either .... acceleration up to speed fairly fast provides the best mileage. During acceleration I try not to exceed 9 to 10 liters per 100 kilometers. Once up to speed, I switch to a feather foot, maintain a constant speed, and drive by ear as the engine seems to have a certain low frequency purr to it when the economy indicator is in the 3.3 to 4.3 liters per 100 kilometer range (4lt/100KM~59mpg).

The thread, what you don't like about your IQ was just that. There is no thread, at least recently, what you like about your IQ. My list of likes is very long ... especially the part that has slowly taken place over the past two years .... service station attendants no longer know my name.

Joe

• 1 month later...

I agree with most of the mentionned issues, and I would like to add one that is bugging me a lot :

- Not a SINGLE after-market accessory

Have had an iQ3 for just over a week now. Only two things on the wish list so far...

• Cruise control
  • a turbo button for when I'm on the motorway

Aside from that it is great fun and so far is way exceeding my expectations for a small car.

After owning the car 11 months now - the only real thing I keep thinking is - why didnt they make it 30cms longer - I still dont see why it needs to be so short, as I have yet to be in a situation where I thought - 'glad its this short' and that extra length would mean it would be a more serious 4 seater

Hi All,

Now had my IQ2 new from mid March '11. I bought it because I didn't want to use my "main" car for pottering about locally and in town (as the diesel filter gets all stuffed up and the economy really wasn't good enough) .. anyway .. two and a half months later and I've done about 5600 miles in it. I've been using it for everything where I don't need to tow a trailer or carry more than three people, so that's 99% of the time.

I wouldn't say that I'm unhappy about much with the car, disappointed is perhaps a more realistic description. But here they are:

• Fuel Gauge: Why make it a "digital" gauge? Why not a simple analogue gauge? I find this far more informative, and even though no gauge is going to be that accurate with a flat tank, an analogue gauge will allow a more accurate understanding of the rate at which the fuel is being used. Simply "losing a block" helps nobody.
  • Fuel Gauge: Flashing last segment. OK, so it's got a digital gauge, so why flash that last block the moment it represents the amount of fuel left (about 10 litres). Given that the car isn't bad on economy, then flashing of the last block could be reserved until there was approximately 5 litres left. From my experience this is still about 50 miles of driving.
  • 1 Ltr Engine: Torque seems poor low down. To be fair to the IQ this is my first petrol engine in years, so I'm really struggling to make a fair and reasonable assessment of it. But, any hill seems to slaughter the fuel economy. Changing down, as suggested by the dash' seems to end up with the engine spinning away at 5000+ rpm, and (no surprise) the fuel economy is lost.
  • Glove Bag: I added the iConnect pack just to get the glove bag as I thought the interior looked wrong without it. Actually the iConnect has turned into an essential add-in for me. No more music CDs in the car, just keep it on my phone.

Having said this, I love the car, it is saving me loads of money in fuel and is returning (according to the dash) about 55mph average, but about 52 or 53 if I do the proper calculations from tank full to tank full. I have to say I consider this pretty good as I'm not the greenest driver on the roads; the air-con is virtually never off, and probably 60% or more of my driving is dual carriageways and motorways; A27, A23, M23, M25, M40 .. and then the reverse ... :blink: ... never what I intended to do in it at all. Even drove it from Sussex to Oban and back to see some friends - a great drive.

Anyway, 'nuff said for the time being.

Regards,

Jeff.

First thing I'd like to say is to all those who are concerned about the 3 cylinder engine. An in-line 3 cylinder engine with a 120 degree crankshaft (like the iQ, Aygo, ect), is basically half an in-line 6. An in-line 6 has perfect primary and secondary balance. Since an in-line 3 only has half as many cylinders, it only has perfect primary balance by default, so manufacturers fit a balance shaft to give them perfect secondary balance. It doesn't make it as well balanced as a straight 6, but it won't be far off. 4 cylinder engines are different again and they must use 2 balance shafts in order to achieve balance.

The reason a 3 cylinder sometimes feels rough compared to a 4, is that a 3 cylinder only has a firing stroke every 240 degrees of rotation. A 4 cylinder has a firing stroke every 180 degrees of rotation. The advantage a 3 has over a 4 however, is that there are less moving parts which means less internal friction. The more cylinders you have, the more energy the engine will lose in the form of heat.

Since single and twin cylinders cannot be perfectly balanced, 3 cylinders makes the most sense for a small efficient engine.

Now for my list of things I don't like:

- vibrating/resonating seats when stationary with the engine at idle speed

- very lazy attempt at interior lighting

- rear seat belts hit the plastics continuously when driving about (although I rarely notice now)

- the seat behind the driver is useless to me as I'm too tall for anyone to sit behind me and I can't remove it. It's just dead weight and wasted space

- no glove box/compartment, and the only Toyota option is too expensive for what it is

- the official Toyota carpet on the divers side has worn down already, and I've only done around 5k miles with them in

- a lot of spray gets onto the rear window unless you have the mudguards fitted (I have them fitted for this reason and because I like the look of them)

- no space saver spare wheel

- only a 5 speed manual on the 1.0L (I'd like a 6 xD)

- no ability to toe anything (not a problem for me at the moment though)

- only a torsion beam set-up on the rear axle which gives a lot of bump steer (I can't help but wonder what a fully independent system would do for the iQ)

Others things I'd like to say:

- no complaints on headlights, mine are fine, I don't see what people are complaining about

- I have this strange mat/cover type thing which I found under the rear seats which doesn't seem to fit anywhere...

First thing I'd like to say is to all those who are concerned about the 3 cylinder engine. An in-line 3 cylinder engine with a 120 degree crankshaft (like the iQ, Aygo, ect), is basically half an in-line 6. An in-line 6 has perfect primary and secondary balance. Since an in-line 3 only has half as many cylinders, it only has perfect primary balance by default, so manufacturers fit a balance shaft to give them perfect secondary balance. It doesn't make it as well balanced as a straight 6, but it won't be far off. 4 cylinder engines are different again and they must use 2 balance shafts in order to achieve balance.

The reason a 3 cylinder sometimes feels rough compared to a 4, is that a 3 cylinder only has a firing stroke every 240 degrees of rotation. A 4 cylinder has a firing stroke every 180 degrees of rotation. The advantage a 3 has over a 4 however, is that there are less moving parts which means less internal friction. The more cylinders you have, the more energy the engine will lose in the form of heat.

Since single and twin cylinders cannot be perfectly balanced, 3 cylinders makes the most sense for a small efficient engine.

Now for my list of things I don't like:

- vibrating/resonating seats when stationary with the engine at idle speed

- very lazy attempt at interior lighting

- rear seat belts hit the plastics continuously when driving about (although I rarely notice now)

- the seat behind the driver is useless to me as I'm too tall for anyone to sit behind me and I can't remove it. It's just dead weight and wasted space

- no glove box/compartment, and the only Toyota option is too expensive for what it is

- the official Toyota carpet on the divers side has worn down already, and I've only done around 5k miles with them in

- a lot of spray gets onto the rear window unless you have the mudguards fitted (I have them fitted for this reason and because I like the look of them)

- no space saver spare wheel

- only a 5 speed manual on the 1.0L (I'd like a 6 xD)

- no ability to toe anything (not a problem for me at the moment though)

- only a torsion beam set-up on the rear axle which gives a lot of bump steer (I can't help but wonder what a fully independent system would do for the iQ)

Others things I'd like to say:

- no complaints on headlights, mine are fine, I don't see what people are complaining about

- I have this strange mat/cover type thing which I found under the rear seats which doesn't seem to fit anywhere...

post a picture of the mat/cover thing some one mite know what its for :thumbsup:

i bet it's the fabric press on cover for the rear when the seats are folded. I cant even remember where i stashed mine , useless thing.

I really don't like the lack of covers inside the front wheel arches, because it means all that dirty road spray gets in the engine bay.

The back seats are designed to fold down and be used as a boot, but the back of these seats don't have any type of support, so it's the fabric that takes most if the weight.

my rear seats are permanently folded down , i do have the toyota floor thing that covers the backs of the seats and that does a good job.I've chucked bags of compost in the back and just take it out and give it a quick hoover.

i keep a couple of QD fold down crates in the back a couple of morrison wine carrier bags,spreads the weight and keeps it tidy.

I did read in the manual about a 'freight deck' that looks like it would replawe the rear seats, but i can't find any info on it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links