Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Rav4?

Paulus17

Hello everyone.

My wife is about to buy a 2002 Rav4 GX VVT-I,after falling in love with it after a good test drive.

This was the first time she's driven anything like this and i don't think she will be changing either now,so long as all goes well with it??

The car is in very good condition inside and out.It has done just over the 100,000 miles.

So is she making a good purchase with the amount of miles on it.She also wants it for the 4x4 in the winter.

One thing we noticed though was that the bonnet was hot to the touch,is this normal on these cars??

rav4.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paulus17

• bitman

• Big Kev

• crofter

Hi Paul and welcome.

I dont think "hot" is normal.

Have a look on the underside of the bonnet and see if the insulation padding is in place first.

Del

The engine does feel like its running hot when your near it, i found this is mainly because the exhaust manifold is on the front compared to most other cars where its behind the block.

100k is nothing, it will do that again without even a sweat. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, great little car, reliable and not all that expensive on fuel. It's not the fastest but drives as smooth as silk on the motorways.

As long as you not paying more than £5000 for it, you have a good deal there :)

The engine does feel like its running hot when your near it, i found this is mainly because the exhaust manifold is on the front compared to most other cars where its behind the block.

100k is nothing, it will do that again without even a sweat. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, great little car, reliable and not all that expensive on fuel. It's not the fastest but drives as smooth as silk on the motorways.

Thank you for the welcome Del and Luke :D

We are picking the car up this Saturday coming and we won't be able to get back over to see till then.

There was no heat getting into the car itself from the engine,but was noticable outside.

We have paid £3400 for it,just over 2k with a PX,six months tax and the plate transfer.Is this still a good buy??

Are there any other things to look out for with these cars??

Thank you for the welcome Del and Luke :D

We are picking the car up this Saturday coming and we won't be able to get back over to see till then.

There was no heat getting into the car itself from the engine,but was noticable outside.

We have paid £3400 for it,just over 2k with a PX,six months tax and the plate transfer.Is this still a good buy??

Are there any other things to look out for with these cars??

Welcomus to Clubbipus, Paulus Puer,

And best wishes with yer new car.It took much reassurance and near lecturing from an experienced mechanic on here to convince me that wifey's 3 door PETROL should and does run pretty hot. I was inadvertently comparing it to my inefficient burning diesel engine, which takes a run from here to Edingbureau to warm up..!!!! As long as the temp gauge is not showing a fault, get used to it, and to quote same elderly mechanic on here, the engines and gearboxes on the older/original Ravs were pretty much bomb proof when run with clean oil and water....enjoy.

Mystic makes a cracking point re the exhaust manifold being the first thing that greets your face when you open the bonnet....never cognisified that before.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

good cars and they rust more then having a mechanical fault.

the only thing they suffer from by times are those co2 sensors, dear at the main dealer to replace but can be done your self if a diy man. have a search on this forum as i have replaced them in the past.

our nrg is still going strong and i just checked she still has the original (2003) Bridgestone tires with 4 / 5 mm tread :!Removed!: also changed the aux belt at 100k miles :unsure:

Thank you Kev and Bitman,all good news so far and feel more assured :yahoo:

I have a friend who looks after our cars and he drives a Toyota pick up.

He gave this a quick look over and just pointed a few things out that might need attention,but the garage said they would put them right???

100k pha my d4d is well past 146k now and on a 52 plate

Best car in the winter and nice passing all those 2wd kuga and Nissan thingy owners slipping on the road side  the mk2 is the best looking Rav as well IMHO 

Best car in the winter and nice passing all those 2wd kuga and Nissan thingy owners slipping on the road side  the mk2 is the best looking Rav as well IMHO 

Cheers Chatman :D

I take it that my model is the MK2??

Bitman.Are the CO2 sensors those Lamber sensors??

Yes your is a mk2, before someone stole the spare wheel on the back :blink:

Don't worry about the co2 sensors too much, i had to replace mine a few months back and it really is easy, and not all that expensive. You may never need to change it!

Thanks Luke :thumbsup:

Sorry for all the questions,but we were so impressed with the Rav on the test drive that i don't think we will be looking back,and the other half says if she still likes it after a while she might get a later model :o

We went in to look at a convertible but she spotted the Rav and liked it.She asked me if it was a 4x4,i said i think all Ravs are,not really knowing but i thought they were!!!

The mechanic who was the only person at the place said it was not a 4x4,but when we went back for another look the gaffer said it was??

The lamber sensors were one of the things my mate pointed out when he gave it the once over,and just said they are expensive to replace??

Just been reading up on the run flat tyres :wacko:

Are they on all the Rav4s as well??

My 01 does not have RFTs so I cant see yours will have :yahoo::yahoo:

Calm down,it will soon be the weekend and then you can start to enjoy a great motor. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It seems a lot of complaints on here usually refer to later models,so hang on in there,it will be worth the wait.

Del

Cheers Chatman :D

I take it that my model is the MK2??

Bitman.Are the CO2 sensors those Lamber sensors??

yup

the mk2 is the best looking Rav as well IMHO 

2nd to that :thumbsup:

My 01 does not have RFTs so I cant see yours will have :yahoo::yahoo:

Calm down,it will soon be the weekend and then you can start to enjoy a great motor. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It seems a lot of complaints on here usually refer to later models,so hang on in there,it will be worth the wait.

Del

Cheers Del.

Thats good news if its the case :yahoo:

I'm afraid i know very little about modern cars and hadn't even heared of RFTs before :eek:

No probs,mate.

No-one minds answering your questions on here(thats my experience anyway)

There were RFTs on WW2 vehicles and no I wasn't there!!

I came across them in the late 50s/early 60s when attached to the permanent staff of a Army Emergency Reserve camp and the vehicles were one step away from the scrap-yard.

They were very strong walled tyres and we were supposed to stop,I think,after every 50 miles of running to see if there was a flat.

Del

She asked me if it was a 4x4,i said i think all Ravs are,not really knowing but i thought they were!!!

The mechanic who was the only person at the place said it was not a 4x4,but when we went back for another look the gaffer said it was??

You said your model is the GX? if so yes it is 4x4, NV was 2-wheel drive version, while NRG, GX, and VX were permanent 4-wheel drive.

So you got yourself the best looking model, nearly top spec, great price, good mileage.. What more do you need!! Soon you be one of us and im pretty sure you wont be disappointed.

Thanks Bitman,Del Luke :D

Just got a call saying it's ready for pick up tomorrow :thumbsup:

They have changed the rear discs and put new pads on,which was one of the things my mate pointed out.

I am surprised they have done it :eek:

Unfortunately i don't drive any more so won't be getting the feel of the drive,but my wife really took to it,first time round.It usually takes her a good while to say if she likes a car or not,so that must be a good sign :D

There is no manual with it are these available??

Thanks Bitman,Del Luke :D

Just got a call saying it's ready for pick up tomorrow :thumbsup:

They have changed the rear discs and put new pads on,which was one of the things my mate pointed out.

I am surprised they have done it :eek:

Unfortunately i don't drive any more so won't be getting the feel of the drive,but my wife really took to it,first time round.It usually takes her a good while to say if she likes a car or not,so that must be a good sign :D

There is no manual with it are these available??

Well, Paulus....you've gone and done it now....youz cannae use "the snow's awful bad...we can't come and see you" excuse this winter....you'll love it. Enjoy tomorrow and yer new moatir, and post on some phoateez later.

Big Kev :lol:

Cheers Del i will keep a look out on there.

You are right Big Kev,no excuses now :rolleyes:

We won't be picking it up tomorrow as i won't be here and the missus wants me to go with her so it will be the weekend now :crybaby: she might change her mind if i can twist here arm enough??

I will post some piccys if i can.

Is it just a matter of hosting them somewhere copying the url and pasting here??

Paul, just check that it is 4wd cause Toyota did do a 4.2 model early on that was only a 2wd model. Perhaps someone could enlighten us to the exact production dates and models of the 2wd Rav 4.2,s

Regards Clare

Paul, just check that it is 4wd cause Toyota did do a 4.2 model early on that was only a 2wd model. Perhaps someone could enlighten us to the exact production dates and models of the 2wd Rav 4.2,s

Regards Clare

Thank you Clare :crybaby:

We did find it strange why the mechanic said it wasn't then his gaffer saying it was.

We did drive it home to see if it fitted in our garage,which the gaffer very kindly let us,it did.

But we have a steepish graveled slope to get up,which the Meriva always wheel spins when going up,but the Rav just went up easily from standstill??

How can i check?

Regards Clare

Thank you Clare :crybaby:

We did find it strange why the mechanic said it wasn't then his gaffer saying it was.

We did drive it home to see if it fitted in our garage,which the gaffer very kindly let us,it did.

But we have a steepish graveled slope to get up,which the Meriva always wheel spins when going up,but the Rav just went up easily from standstill??

How can i check?

2000: Revised RAV4 launched in SWB three-door or LWB five-door styles. Entry-level model is the 123bhp 1.8-litre front-wheel-drive NV, all others have 147bhp 2.0 engine with 4WD. NRG has bigger alloys and colour-coded body mouldings. Flagship five-door VX adds leather trim and CD changer. 2001: Turbocharged 114bhp diesel joins four-wheel-drive engine options.

Link to article;

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/us...oyota_rav4.html

it has been writen before; the only 2wd was the 1.8 petrol NV (have only seen them in real life as 3drs). anchorman did created a whole series pinned on this forum. there you can see our 3drs gold one, picture taken just after i bought her for swmbo :thumbsup:

i have had a 2001 black 5drs GX auto and loved it. only sold her as i needed a bigger vehicle to tow my boat. otherwise i would still have had her.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links