Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P1135 Fault Code - Help !

Mr.Fixit-Norm

Just thought this info may help someone else, I've measured the heater circuit resistance on the new sensor and it's a consistent 3.6 ohms, whereas the faulty one is reading 9.6 ohms

The bank2 sensor1 air/fuel sensor heater is reading around 6.5ohms so I'm guessing this one will be the next to go ! , hopefully not too soon though.

Norm

Hi Norm, i am very pleased for you that you have got the complete genuine part with a plug as well as of course we were in doubt if it would of been a generic or not......hope you have a 21mm spanner, good luck!

Regards Mike169

Hi Mike,

Even better, Grumpy Stumpy on here ( Phil ) only lives about 3 miles away from me and has the correct lambda sensor socket ! even said I could do it on his driveway Saturday afternoon !! Doesn't come much better than that. One of the best things about Internet forums.

Norm

Hi Norm, lady luck is certainly looking your way right now, good luck to you fella and hope the job goes well.

Do please let us know how it goes and if it was easy/hard to do, say in a scale from 1-10.

Bet you are itching to get on with it now, lol.

Mike.

Hi Norm, lady luck is certainly looking your way right now, good luck to you fella and hope the job goes well.

Do please let us know how it goes and if it was easy/hard to do, say in a scale from 1-10.

Bet you are itching to get on with it now, lol.

Mike.

Yes, I've always liked doing DIY whether it's on cars or anything else, and I get a lot of satisfaction from repairing or making things, which is why I have the "MrFixit" tag in my user name ! I got called that about 30 years ago by a colleague at a company I worked for after repairing a large photocopier that the engineer said couldn't be fixed ! ...and the name's stuck ever since.

I'll certainly post how the job went ( hopefully quite easy ! )

Norm

Met up with Phil round his this afternoon, what a star he is, not only does he have all the right tools, but offered to fit it for me as well ! As he'd already done a couple of sensor replacements it made sense to let him do it and I must say he made it look very easy ! It helped that he had a good heat proof glove to make sure the skin on his hand didn't get cooked !

Phil's special tool for fitting this type of sensor has a long socket and a short version, I think he used the long one to loosen the sensor initially then a shorter open ended one to finish unscrewing it. Apart from a cable tie on the sensor wire and unplugging it, there's not much else to say. He didn't need to remove any of the heat shielding although looking at the left hand sensor, I would say you might have to for that.

One of the things we did discover is that it would be almost impossible to take the sensor out with a ring spanner, something which I believe has been mentioned as a possibility on here. The socket sensor kit Phil has was I believe made by Sealey and I think he said cost around £20 - it even contains two thread cleaner tools as well if the sockets need a clean - well worth the money !

After he'd finished we chatted a bit and I mentioned the yellowy headlights on my car, no sooner had I mentioned it, and he brought out a special plastic cleaner / polisher and proceeded to clean both the headlights !! What a gent ! It certainly made a better job than the toothpaste I'd been using and looked much easier to do as well - I'm searching for it on the net later to purchase some for myself.

I must say that I'm really grateful for Phil's help, and he wouldn't accept any reward either, so I'll have to settle for a public thank you on here for him !

Norm

Norm , no problem you're welcome. Like I said I have a few tools and you live close to me so always welcome to borrow what ever you need. Hopefully light will stay off, should be ok now.

Norm , no problem you're welcome. Like I said I have a few tools and you live close to me so always welcome to borrow what ever you need. Hopefully light will stay off, should be ok now.

Thanks Phil, I promise I won't hassle you unless I get really stuck ! Incidentally the light stayed on when I left yours so I drove for about half mile, parked up and reset it and it has stayed off so like you I'm hoping it'll be ok now.

I've also found that Greygate plastic polish on line and ordered some !

Regards,

Norm

Hopefully because it was unplugged and then new one plugged in and we didn't reset it. Fingers crossed be ok. Be surprised if not.

So glad you guys met up with Phil doing the work and Norm supervising! Haha!

Hi Mike,

Not so much supervising as learning, making mental notes and feeling a bit guilty Judging by Phil's garage, and some of the work he's carried out, his 'spannering' is much better than mine although as I said I've done some fairly serious work in the past, and I'm pretty sure I could've done this without any problems had I had the right tool.

Norm

Hi Norm, oh i realised that to be honest as thats how you nice email about Phil reads, maybe i wrote it with a bit of humour. Looks like you both have a new friend! :driving:

Hi Mike,

Just read my last post and realised the emoticons I put in from my iPad didn't appear ! It made it look like I was being more serious than I was !

How do you get emoticons into a post? On other forums I go on they are available from within the posting section but nothing shows up on mine? It's nice to be able to include them as it shows the tone of the post !

Regards,

Norm

Hi Norm

I don't use an iPhone at all, i have a cheapie that is just a phone.

The emoticons i just use from this website, about the middle at the top when you reply to a message, it is just a yellow smiley face but when you click on it many others appear, you don't even need to be a teenager to work out how to use it, haha! Click the 'show all' and it's easy peasy. :doctor::drunk::gora::driving::blowup::clap::blink::rolleyes::beer: Mike

Looks like I'm back to square one, went to the Henham country fair today and on the way back at about 50mph the management light came on ! When we got home I plugged in the scan tool and the weird thing is it wasn't showing any DTC's ?? When I started the engine up the light went out !!

Now I'm confused, I can't see how the light could go out on its own when supposedly in fault condition, but then the scan tool was saying there weren't any faults "................heeeeelp

I've had a quick look in the fuse box but the relay and fuse controlling this particular circuit seems ok

Bummer is it's booked in for the MOT tomorrow, just have to hope it stays off during the test, not sure if it would fail if it comes on as long as the emissions are in spec.

Norm

Ps still can't find those pesky emoticons , I don't seem to have any smiley faces on the reply section??

Norm, i think i have worked out why you can't see the emoticons smiley face.......i think you are just typing a reply in the reply box underneath.........if you click the green box 'post a reply' then you will see a different header and the smiley face is in the middle. :euro: Mike

Yes Mike that's what I was doing, unfortunately the green reply box doesn't respond on my iPad ? So it looks like I'm struck for now

To be honest I'm more concerned with that damn engine management light at the moment ! ( insert a fed up look smiley here !)

Norm

Same fault code ? You have four on yours perhaps we changed wrong one in relation to code you had. Can,t believe it's not cured it , never had issue before after replacing one. Bank 1 sensor 1 is top sensor right hand side (passenger side).

Just looked at one of your previous posts, bank 2 sensor 1 had low ohm reading according to your results may be this one is faulty as well ?

Hi Phil,

Yes the code definitely referred to that one ( P1135 ) even the eBay site I got the sensor from showed that sensor and that code as the correct one. Weird thing is the scan tool not showing any DTC's then the light going out with the scan tool plugged in ! To say I'm a bit fed up is an understatement ! Only thing I can do is put it in for the MOT tomorrow and see what happens. If it comes on during the test they can plug their tester in and read the code.

Just a bit disheartened at the moment. ( I'm actually waiting for the " should have gone to Mr T " crowd to log on.........) ( put a grin face here )

Norm

So scan tool not showing any fault codes but light on and light goes out when plug code reader in ? Could try another code reader just to see if reading anything just in case your reader playing up. If second code reader says no fault with light on then must be another reason light coming on . Scratch head time !!!!!

Five most common cause mil light on and no codes are according to google

1. Oxygen sensors

2. Fuel cap loose, not sealing.

3.catalyic converter faulty

4.mass air flow sensor

5.spark plugs

Emm?

Hi all, I am new here. Our rav4 has a similar fault, engine light yellow so I guess its one of the sensors/heaters is faulty.If I changed all 4 sensors would the warning light reset its self or would it have to be done with an OBD2. many thanks Terry

Guys'n'Dolls, i have fitted more clutches, brakes, head gaskets etc, etc than i care to remember, the nuts and bolts of a car are easy to replace if you have the ability but now cars have so many computerised chips anything electronic i just go to the dealers. (Sorry Norm).

Some may say i waste money but overall i think i save money, OBD readers are ok but unless you are trained on the results they give you can keep throwing money at your car until you get it right and that's without a g'tee.

We can all get our tyres fitted and save a few bob by shopping around, those who are a bit better can do mechanical repairs but once you are into the computer of the car the world opens up completely. It could be said it's all part of the master plan by the manufacturers so you have to go back to them.

Eventually in many years to come i can see all cars have to go back to the dealers for repairs by law and a step past that will be MOT's carried out in government centre's as is the HGV world in reality.

So Terry, answering your question i would personally book your car in either at the local Toyota dealers, 1st choice, or a garage that knows how to understand the read out from car OBD plugged in diagnostic equipment, could be cheaper than replacing all 4 sensors yourself and less agro...................if you changed all 4 and the fault still existed you would be gutted and out of pocket.

Regards Mike169

Thanks for your opinion Mike169, but not one I agree with. Since I posted my 1st message I have found out that scanners can be purchased for around £15, so I think thats the way to go. plug it in see what it says & go from there.Kind Regards - Terry

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links