Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Catalytic Converter Theft Solutions - Catloc, etc

citycash

7 minutes ago, tapir said:

There is a marine product available called Duralac Anti Corrosive Jointing Compound that could be used - I might just get some anyhow as the plate I have is stainless.

As I can't see how a fibre washer can help given there is a bolt through the middle of everything! Anyhow as mentioned, the corrosion if it happens will be far less hassle than a stolen cat.

Do you really need the washer for this?  I think the washer is needed to reduce the risk of vibration/rubbing between exhaust/cat/resonator to the plate.  I think if it is more than 5mm gap, it should be enough. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AisinW said:

Do you really need the washer for this?  I think the washer is needed to reduce the risk of vibration/rubbing between exhaust/cat/resonator to the plate.  I think if it is more than 5mm gap, it should be enough. 

From my install the washer isn't needed to provide gap, there was plenty of room and no chance of vibration. I do have a non-hybrid car, so it might well be different as yours is a hybrid.

The plate on mine doesn't have a gap and I'm not trying to protect the plate but the car chassis where the plate touches. The fact that the steel bolt passes through is irrelevant, it's the mild steel of the car that will form the sacrificial anode at the point of contact with the stainless plate. Fibre washers or some other electrical barrier between the two surfaces where they meet is to stop that. I've seen it before in other contexts so don't want it happening here 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

The plate on mine doesn't have a gap and I'm not trying to protect the plate but the car chassis where the plate touches. The fact that the steel bolt passes through is irrelevant, it's the mild steel of the car that will form the sacrificial anode at the point of contact with the stainless plate. Fibre washers or some other electrical barrier between the two surfaces where they meet is to stop that. I've seen it before in other contexts so don't want it happening here 

The car underbody has original treatment, is that not enough to stop this event happen? 
Thanks 

Yes if it's a perfect coating but anywhere there's metal to metal contact you may get corrosion, so I'm just making sure there's no direct contact 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this is still happening. I've witnessed few of these personally, recently 60 plate BMW convertible was lifted outside my office and by the time i called the police they were gone- found it hilarious as thieves were in nothing else than little hybrid yaris. passed footage to the owner, not sure how it went from there on...

• Sad 3

Ugh that sucks... I hadn't heard they'd started targeting other cars as well now, none of the usual news sources has mentioned it!!

• Like 2

Just now, Cyker said:

Ugh that sucks... I hadn't heard they'd started targeting other cars as well now, none of the usual news sources has mentioned it!!

Perhaps Toyota cars are now more difficult to cut as many owners are prepared and has cat locks , cat plates installed. Thieves usually bent and look under the cars before approaching with the jack and tools. 

• Like 2

Usually it is much cheaper by switching different insurance after such accident.  Theft is not our mistake and not because of our dilinguent.  Other insurances usually will not penalty us as much as the insurance who cover the cost of the theft.  

I am not sure about the rule for car insurance in you country. But I always switch insurance every year in Germany who ever gives me the cheapest quote every November.  Thsese insurance companies are dumb, they sometime increase the rate even my SF number (no claimed years) gets better every year.  No need to stay with the same insurance if they are not treating us fairly. 

After about 3 years, usually the claim history is forgiven and we can come back to the old insurance if they offer a better deal after that time. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen adverts from metal traders on Facebook too back in 2020 and they even promised best prices paid for Prius cats 

• 1 month later...

I just added these pictures as I promises from this thread.   i posted on other threads too.  This 3mm steel shield need absolutely thick washers total of 1.28 (4 × 3.2 mm) are  added to the security rear bolt.  It is very stiff and no rattle. With 1 washer, it rattles purely from engine rev/ exhaust flex from hard acceleration. Not from the body flexing.20230506_115759.thumb.jpg.0ca75e4915a5c0e42e485f9acf4bf6e0.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.1294caf7c159d8f42916a4f8197405e8.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 2:34 PM, TonyHSD said:

Understood that from next year the rules are changing and there will be a road tax of £20 per year, been £0 since the car was first registered in 2010.

Are we going to pay from 2023 onwards?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fostel said:

I think so, but not sure 100%. When the time for renewal comes we will see. I am beginning of September and always forget to buy on time 🫢 for the last 3 years , buying a month later and been lucky not to be caught. Should be more careful about it. 

Here what I found, perhaps we will pay £20 for 12 months. 
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think so, but not sure 100%. When the time for renewal comes we will see. I am beginning of September and always forget to buy on time 🫢 for the last 3 years , buying a month later and been lucky not to be caught. Should be more careful about it. 

I am in September too 💪

I planned to change V5 to my wife's name and wondering if that will trigger the 'new rules' as she would have to renew. They do not pass it on to the next 'owner' AFAIK.

• Like 1

Just now, Fostel said:

I am in September too 💪

I planned to change V5 to my wife's name and wondering if that will trigger the 'new rules' as she would have to renew. They do not pass it on to the next 'owner' AFAIK.

Yes, you will need to apply for new tax. At least it’s only £20. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It will be more. Just watch!

They want us in electric cars or walking.

But... not to make it off-topic any longer. What about Catalytic converters theft? Does this stop, slowed down, or stayed the same?

I can't see new posts here.

Personally, when I park I laugh now. When I imagine those thief's approaching the car just to see welding and a steel plate.

Buying a generic cat and steel plate was the best investment in this car. Took the worry and stress away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Here what I found, perhaps we will pay £20 for 12 months. 
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

I think it was the same all the time. Less than 100 and it was NIL

Just double checked and it seems my Auris is 92

2023-05-10_17:31:44.png

2023-05-10_17:38:22.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fostel said:

I think it was the same all the time. Less than 100 and it was NIL

Just double checked and it seems my Auris is 92

2023-05-10_17:31:44.png

2023-05-10_17:38:22.png

That’s good to hear. Then it’s £0 for us 👍

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, Fostel said:

Found this guy on Facebook Market.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/profile/100086017164346

It is so brazen and there is no way to report this.

2023-03-28_14:54:15.png

You should report it to police website/emails.  So police can trackdown who he is and where he stored those cats.  we had done it before back in USA from Craigslist/gumtrees listing. Cops catched plenty of thieves via Craigslist, eBay, and facebook market there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fostel said:

It will be more. Just watch!

They want us in electric cars or walking.

But... not to make it off-topic any longer. What about Catalytic converters theft? Does this stop, slowed down, or stayed the same?

I can't see new posts here.

Personally, when I park I laugh now. When I imagine those thief's approaching the car just to see welding and a steel plate.

Buying a generic cat and steel plate was the best investment in this car. Took the worry and stress away.

Does your car sound noisier due to the generic cat?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Excel777 said:

Does your car sound noisier due to the generic cat?

Yes it does but I am petrohead so no bothered too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2023 at 5:10 PM, AisinW said:

I just added these pictures as I promises from this thread.   i posted on other threads too.  This 3mm steel shield need absolutely thick washers total of 1.28 (4 × 3.2 mm) are  added to the security rear bolt.  It is very stiff and no rattle. With 1 washer, it rattles purely from engine rev/ exhaust flex from hard acceleration. Not from the body flexing.20230506_115759.thumb.jpg.0ca75e4915a5c0e42e485f9acf4bf6e0.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.1294caf7c159d8f42916a4f8197405e8.jpg

What about rattling? How many washers (Size?) did you end up using on each bolt?

3 hours ago, Fostel said:

It should kick in after the cutoff date when your next tax renewal is due. If you can somehow 'pay' it before the cutoff then you effectively get an extra year of £0

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Indeed! It could be much worse - Mine is going to be £180 soon, which will make it the most expensive car to tax I've owned!! :crybaby: 

(Before that it was the Fiesta which, despite only being a 1.3, was somehow in the same CO2 tax band as a 2.2 litre slushbox Merc E-class estate! :confused1: :laugh: )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

It should kick in after the cutoff date when your next tax renewal is due. If you can somehow 'pay' it before the cutoff then you effectively get an extra year of £0

Indeed! It could be much worse - Mine is going to be £180 soon, which will make it the most expensive car to tax I've owned!! :crybaby: 

(Before that it was the Fiesta which, despite only being a 1.3, was somehow in the same CO2 tax band as a 2.2 litre slushbox Merc E-class estate! :confused1: :laugh: )

When is the cut off date?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links