Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

2 hours ago, simond64 said:

Fortunately my dealer is allowing me to retain the spare from my22 to put in my23, decent of them. 

Indeed! Mine wouldn't allow it.

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

You will get a puncture on a dark rainy night and stuck in the middle of no where 

The dealer wants €400 for a space saver

Thank you Toyota

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Roker said:

The dealer wants €400 for a space saver

Thank you Toyota

How about Toyota Corolla Wagon 2020-Present Space Saver Kit - Toyota Parts Direct (toyotadirectparts.co.uk) ??

I would be reluctant to have a car without some sort of spare wheel, even if I carried no jack etc.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

I would be reluctant to have a car without some sort of spare wheel, even if I carried no jack etc.

??? Surely a spare without a jack & brace is just ballast.....?

... but seriously, if you're shopping elsewhere I believe that the 17" spares for the Auris and Yaris Cross also fit the Corolla.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I don't think the supplied tyre gunk would have saved us on our trip through Holland when we were 40 minutes away from the ferry on the motorway.  It was just lucky for us it wasn't a front tyre blow out.

B3o0ZF2.jpg

I am SO glad that my husband bought a space-saver and jack etc., from Toyota's E-Bay shop. My husband was able to change the wheel and we limped towards the ferry.  Once in the UK we were able to drop in to an ATS and replace the Michelin Cross Climate 2 with a new one.

Ao5aAoE.jpg

Anybody sitting on the fence regarding whether to purchase a physical spare take note, a blow out cannot be fixed with a can of foam and it will seriously spoil your day if you have to call a Breakdown company!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Tire blow out is a kind of rare unless we overinflated or hitting a sharp road hazzard.  @Jonnyteabag what tire was that?   I never experience any tire blow out but as per driving class, we should not brake when we have blow out tire instead accelerate a bit and pull over once we stabilize our car.  Your blow out is at the side wall, either there is a tire damage before on the side wall or something else.  I also put a spare tire on my Auris TS. A 16" rims 205/55R16 from Mazda 3 fits perfectly as a spare tires and even TÜV APPROVE it as a valid spare wheel.   Fortunately, I never need any emergency wheel change in Germany, Austria, Swiss, and France Alps.  The roads are extreemely smooth and find no pothole or road hazzards yet.   It cost €25 for the whole wheel with tires 5mm tread already balanced.  I still can use the 2nd storage below the flat floor with 16" wheel but not with 17" wheel.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

I would probably suggest that a minority of customers bother with a full size spare - accommodation for a space saver being sufficient for the majority.

The Micra is based on the current Renault Clio, which is now quite an old design dating back to 2012,  which may explain the larger well, as full sized spares were more common then. The current Micra is built by Renault for Nissan, is in the market sector below the Corolla and competes with the Yaris/Fiesta/Corsa/etc.!

Moved to the Corolla club

My 2020 Coroller has space for a full size spare wheel, I don't see why others cannot be like that

1 hour ago, Roker said:

My 2020 Coroller has space for a full size spare wheel, I don't see why others cannot be like that

Well the simple fact is that they aren't.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 6:51 PM, Jonnyteabag said:

Hi all,

I don't think the supplied tyre gunk would have saved us on our trip through Holland when we were 40 minutes away from the ferry on the motorway.  It was just lucky for us it wasn't a front tyre blow out.

B3o0ZF2.jpg

I am SO glad that my husband bought a space-saver and jack etc., from Toyota's E-Bay shop. My husband was able to change the wheel and we limped towards the ferry.  Once in the UK we were able to drop in to an ATS and replace the Michelin Cross Climate 2 with a new one.

Ao5aAoE.jpg

Anybody sitting on the fence regarding whether to purchase a physical spare take note, a blow out cannot be fixed with a can of foam and it will seriously spoil your day if you have to call a Breakdown company!!

Lol, what an experience. Glad all went ok.
This tyre looks like damaged not from blow out but from driving afterwards like that. Did the alloy survived at least ? 
I see similar break downs on daily basis on uk motorways. Especially in the hot weather. But these ultra low profile on the Corolla are really not helping against bad roads we have. 

I have just enquired with Toyota for a full size spare wheel, the packing in the boot will allow this.

Toyota. €400

Breakers yard €60

On 3/6/2019 at 8:27 PM, Micken said:

In the good old days all new cars were supplied with a full size spare wheel and had the same quality radial ply tyres that are on todays cars, it only took 15 minutes to change a punctured tyre, now with today's cars without a spare its a breakdown, and using a space saver with a fully loaded car there is nowhere in the car to put the punctured wheel,

• Like 1

Ao5aAoE.jpg

This is exactly when you need a spare,  a time critical journey such as catching a ferry or flight.  If you never use your car for such time critical journeys then you don't need a spare. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

This is exactly when you need a spare,  a time critical journey such as catching a ferry or flight.  If you never use your car for such time critical journeys then you don't need a spare. 

I'd disagree there Roy. I think that the list of reasons for wanting a spare is a lot longer than that. 

I would say any journey where you couldn't take the wait for recovery - travelling with small children, journeys to remote locations / on public holidays / out of hours etc.

Not to mention the potential cost of the recovery.

I'll be putting a spare in my car as soon as I get it home. 😉

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

I'd disagree there Roy. I think that the list of reasons for wanting a spare is a lot longer than that. 

I would say any journey where you couldn't take the wait for recovery - travelling with small children, journeys to remote locations / on public holidays / out of hours etc.

Not to mention the potential cost of the recovery.

I'll be putting a spare in my car as soon as I get it home. 😉

Agree, would not have a car without a spare in it.

• Like 3

Don, my list was not exhaustive. 

Less obvious,  but potentially life saving, is the ability to drive to a hospital as getting an ambulance is problematic. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Don, my list was not exhaustive. 

Less obvious,  but potentially life saving, is the ability to drive to a hospital as getting an ambulance is problematic. 

Quite.

In March I asked my neighbour to drive me to hospital as I was too ill to drive, and there was a minimum 4 hour wait for an ambulance.

In A&E for 36 hours waiting to be admitted, and then 16 days in there recovering.

So yes, sometimes having a car that you can get in and go is critical for yourself or helping family and friends.

On the spare wheel bit though, I think my elderly neighbour who took me would have had to call a breakdown service to put it on if needed.

Even so still quicker than an ambulance at that time.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry not to have read through all the pages on this subject but I want to ask people's experience of the puncture repair kit. If it works as it is supposed to is there any difference between that and a space saver? I don't mind the kit if it can get me to a tyre repair depot to get a new tyre. I daresay that there may be circumstances where the damaged/punctured tyre will be so far gone as to make the puncture repair kit unusable. However, that's why I have a comprehensive breakdown recovery package.

In my experience once you use the tyre repair kit ( even if it does work ? ) the tyre repairers will not repair the tyre and insist you purchase a brand new tyre. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Basil-BarryC said:

In my experience once you use the tyre repair kit ( even if it does work ? ) the tyre repairers will not repair the tyre and insist you purchase a brand new tyre. 

I would probably rather buy a new tyre.

Never understood these silly repair kits that are now commonplace. Yes weight reduction and better mpg blah blah but just stop it. A spare is better every day of the week. (Or can someone convince me otherwise?) Speaking of which.... need to get a spare, at least a doughnut type for my new car as unfortunately, yes.....it has one of these silly kits in the boot.

• Like 2

It is irritating but is basically Toyota (And practically all manufacturers) cheating the CO2 ratings slightly by removing 'extraneous' weight (If it saves you some money on the 1st year of tax then fair enough...!). It's one think I was very pleasantly surprised with the Yaris Mk4, that it came with a space-saver wheel as standard!

I really think they should exclude safety equipment like that from the tests, to stop discouraging manufacturers from putting them on, but this is the kind of droid-run common-senseless bureaucratic world we live in.

Thankfully, most Toyotas retain space for them, so you can just buy them after purchase and put it in yourself.

Not a big fan of the repair kits, as the sort of punctures it can seal, you can usually pump the tyre up to e.g. 60psi then drive to a tyre repair shop. Would rather have the spare, although a few members on here have posted about these sticky strings you can punch into the puncture which seals them much better, and in a way that a tyre shop can still repair the tyre (As mentioned above, most tyre shops won't touch a tyre with tyre sealant in it as they CBA* to clean it out and it can make it harder to stick the patch plug in securely)

* Can't Be Ar-donkey'd

• Like 2

Why can we not use the kits that put rubber bung through the hole instead of the foam stuff 

Hi all,

B3o0ZF2.jpg

Ao5aAoE.jpg

What would have Toyota European Roadside Assistance do in this case ?

30 minutes ago, DC_Ms said:

In a similar situation Mercedes Roadside assistance lent us a complete emergency spare wheel and tyre to get home, after taking our damaged tyre to be repaired they then arranged to collect the emergency wheel, admittedly this was fairly local to home. Not sure if this would have happened if we were travelling further afield.

The emergency wheel & tyre for the Toyota is now on the shopping list as a priority purchase, if I was travelling in Europe I wouldn’t leave home without one

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DC_Ms said:

It's run by the AA - Some of them have universal spares which they'd fit so you could drive - or they'd just tow you with their super fancy tow rig -  to somewhere that could repair/replace the tyre.

22 hours ago, Roker said:

Why can we not use the kits that put rubber bung through the hole instead of the foam stuff 

You can - That's what I was talking about with the sticky rubber strings. Those wouldn't be manufacturer approved tho', as they are not trivial to use since you'd need to find the puncture, and you need to be fairly strong to push it into the tyre, whereas even the proverbial little old lady would be physically capable of using the tyre goop.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking through the posts on this topic and I'm somewhat confused.

I wish to obtain 17inch a spacesaver for my 2ltr GR Sport Hatchback when it's delivered in November 23.

Will the spacesaver fit in the wheel well in the boot or do I need to remove some moulded foam or trim from the wheel well?

Looking at the wheel shop website this is what information is available.

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/toyota-corolla-2019-present-day-17-space-saver-spare-wheel/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links