Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

You have an endoscope too??? :eek: 

Are you secretly moonlighting for Q-branch or something?? :eek: :laugh: 

All kinds of examinations undertaken and I even wipe it first 😉

• Haha 3

I have one too. Not expensive at all for a basic one and used in conjunction with a smartphone app. can be quite useful at times for examing those hard to access places.

Of course, made in that far away Republic.

I did use mine quite recently in an attempt to examine a clutch assembly in situ. That failed though and all I was able to see was a very clear image of a starter gear and associated teeth on a flywheel!

I can see clearly on some Yaris cars it is a rust.
This is not acceptable even a tiniest rust spot on a car that new.  
If me, I will go back to the dealer for warranty repair. When more people do the same Toyota head office will notice and take action. They did probably noticed now as already has been a few posts a couple of pages each here, but really every owner with rusty Toyota should ask for body repair while it is possible., and not trying to reassure themselves that this is not rust.
Those who has no rust and any strange marks  that usually aren’t typical for cars to have just keep an eye as it might turn to be just a beginning of the rust process. Corolla owners already had warranty repairs done about these issues and this shows it all. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Where the bolts are secures to the frame the paint will inevitably be stripped.  By spraying an inhibitor between hinge and body this could seal where the paint has been stripped. Possible?

It will be interesting to find out what caused this staining. Most cars nowadays use galvanised body panels, and fittings should be rustproofed as well. If Toyota are clagging on sealant to make up for poorly rustproofed components, that's not a good sign. Galvanised steel bolts used on galvanised steel components should not corrode. The exception would be dissimilar metals in contact, e.g. steel/aluminium alloy, which do have to be separated by a sealant or a gasket.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is common nowadays for cars not to have lacquer applied in areas which are not visible from the outside. All part of weight saving which Mazda started in 2009 with the second generation Mazda 2. Virtually all other manufacturers have followed suit.

Every VAG group car I've owned has had the same gloss finish inside and outside, even under trim panels. Toyotas may be reliable, and have a good guarantee, but I have seen cheap interior parts and poor interior finishes on Toyotas. An early Yaris I once hired had ragged edges on the pressings inside the hatch which had just been sprayed over, and on the exterior there was a lump of sealant protruding from a panel joint which, again, had just been sprayed over. The Yaris Cross (just ordered one) was better than that, but I noticed that the door hinges were cheap looking pressed steel items, compared to the chunky cast items (with grease nipple) on my Seat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I can see clearly on some Yaris cars it is a rust.
This is not acceptable even a tiniest rust spot on a car that new.  
If me, I will go back to the dealer for warranty repair. When more people do the same Toyota head office will notice and take action. They did probably noticed now as already has been a few posts a couple of pages each here, but really every owner with rusty Toyota should ask for body repair while it is possible., and not trying to reassure themselves that this is not rust.
Those who has no rust and any strange marks  that usually aren’t typical for cars to have just keep an eye as it might turn to be just a beginning of the rust process. Corolla owners already had warranty repairs done about these issues and this shows it all. 

You’ve seen this rust first hand or in photos?

• Like 1

Someone said they were going in to a dealer last week, have we got any feedback yet?

• Like 1

Seen that on pictures and it’s more than obvious. Also seen at dealer the new batches cars comes with extra unpainted padding plus thicker paint on door shuts. The problem seems to me with galvanisation process and the lack of thick layer paint on top just add to the problem. Toyota are known for paint issues and primer issues since many years, it’s not new or like had never happened before. Toyota pearl white colour cars from around 2010 era are affected with also recall for paint respray in some countries. It was not rust but an issue with the primer and the paint unable to bond to it and then starting to peel off. My car also affected, although a bit too late to push for any work under warranty. If you check IQ forum, omg almost all of them. 
Cheap materials, poor workmanship, parts with quality issues or not designed for exact model or trim level seen fitted the list goes on. I fully agree that vw cars much better build, particularly the body work and paint , all models from entry level up to the largest ones, although they lower their quality too they are still ahead of Toyota, not to mention the sound insulation. 
Here an example of white paint issues. image.thumb.jpeg.0414b5895f71bd9cf4fe916c0e4a33b8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, cruiserOAP said:

An early Yaris I once hired had ragged edges on the pressings inside the hatch which had just been sprayed over. Presumably the 

Which generation was the 'early' Yaris as the first generation dates back to 1998 - 25 years ago?

Conversely back in 2018, a Polo (only a few months old) I had as a hire car supplied by the West Midlands Police accident claim handlers, had black plastic door release handles, and rattles in the interior. OK the door handles blended in with the black plastic door panels, but cheap and nasty to say the least!

If the finish on your Seat is so much better than Toyota, why didn't you stay with a VAG product?

23 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which generation was the 'early' Yaris as the first generation dates back to 1998 - 25 years ago?

Conversely back in 2018, a Polo (only a few months old) I had as a hire car supplied by the West Midlands Police accident claim handlers, had black plastic door release handles, and rattles in the interior. OK the door handles blended in with the black plastic door panels, but cheap and nasty to say the least!

If the finish on your Seat is so much better than Toyota, why didn't you stay with a VAG product?

Well, the main reasons are that I have negotiated a discount of £4000, and 1 year old Yaris Crosses are selling at the list price or even higher, so if I am put off by the quality issues, selling it won't be a problem.

The dealer said they would buy it back for more than I paid when it's nearly new. Other reasons are the 10 year warranty, which again would make it easy to sell, and the fuel economy. I was also offered more for my 7 year old Seat than I was 3 years ago in P/ex. The Seat will probably start needing routine replacements of some parts soon, and finally, if I leave the cash in the bank it will shrink by £1200 every year. If I find the quality issues r.e. rust as described by several owners, I will trade it in for another VAG model at no loss. Getting warranty issues sorted is too stressful and not worth the bother.

• Like 3

Again, I’ve been taught to never trust anecdotal evidence without knowing the full story.  I must admit my Pearl white paint wasn’t cheap at £920 but it is fantastic in terms of thickness and lacquer.  I also know that I’ve never seen factory paint peel from primer and that cars are damaged in delivery then handed over repainted.  Mine has the stains that are quoted in posts as rust.  It isn’t on mine but I’ll investigate the hinges as promised.  

• Like 2

I must admit I was put off the pearlescent paint specifically because of the issue with the IQ way back in the day that Tony mentioned above. I don't know if they ever figured out the cause but virtually all of the ones specced with that paint open were affected. Toyota didn't handle that very well initially either, although I think they did have a campaign about it later to fix it...? Although the window for that is well past now.

• Like 1

Prius forum too. People from USA with pearl white Priuses has their cars peeled off like an orange. The whole car , every single panel including the roof. Definitely not a damaged car while in transit. I like Toyota cars and they are one if not the best one with engines but when something it’s wrong it’s wrong and it’s obvious the owners have full rights to ask Toyota to get it fix. About the pearl white colour, this is definitely my favourite from all and very signature Toyota colour, I will happily have another Toyota with but the rust it’s worrying factor for sure. It seems like most affected cars with rust on these particular areas were from 20-21 production. 

• Like 2

2 Comments.

The Germanic Forums are littered with issues that most Toyota/Lexus nuts would not tolerate.

BMW UK sourced South African built cars required major paint repairs & Seat Cars are now said to be the best VAG units.The Test of a Company is how they respond to Issues, their Customer Retention Level & their JD Power score, particularly in the US.

Global & National Toyota Excel in the above.

Tel

• Like 3

True, not only Toyota but all car manufacturers has their issues with cars lately, more than ever before. But if people keep quiet and accept it then the companies will keep going and won’t change for good. 

• Like 2

Here are some photos from my boot floor.

YCboot1.thumb.JPG.75eb06b62b33a64c7ac0cb5db6b6fa9d.JPG

A close up the bigger "bubbles".

YCboot2.thumb.JPG.fddd5d0af795e92954f0e8339fd99340.JPG

Strangely this "rust" is sticky and starts to the wipe off with a bit rub.

YCboot3.thumb.JPG.7af35f2ece32ac3e88837fee1f696e96.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, IT Troll said:

Here are some photos from my boot floor.

YCboot1.thumb.JPG.75eb06b62b33a64c7ac0cb5db6b6fa9d.JPG

A close up the bigger "bubbles".

YCboot2.thumb.JPG.fddd5d0af795e92954f0e8339fd99340.JPG

YCboot3.thumb.JPG.7af35f2ece32ac3e88837fee1f696e96.JPG

Sheep dip!

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:18 PM, anchorman said:

Someone said they were going in to a dealer last week, have we got any feedback yet?

Was that me?

I took ours, and they photographed it.

Response was that Toyota were aware of it, it's corrosion inhibitor, and NOT to rub it off. The bit I didn't like was "if it gets worse, bring it back". 😳

...so is there a problem or not? I want it fixing sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

@IT Troll That last photo looks like the paint is flaking off! 😲

I'm not liking this at all.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:33 PM, Cyker said:

I must admit I was put off the pearlescent paint specifically because of the issue with the IQ way back in the day that Tony mentioned above. I don't know if they ever figured out the cause but virtually all of the ones specced with that paint open were affected. Toyota didn't handle that very well initially either, although I think they did have a campaign about it later to fix it...? Although the window for that is well past now.

That worried me when I ordered mine, but pleased to say it's been fine so far!

I did see a gen. 4 Corolla though with the typical failure, but it looked beat up anyway (I think they had something hit it), and I've seen one gen. 2 Prius with flaky paint (a few years ago now).

Lots of pearl white taxis looking great, so hopefully it's fixed.

7 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Look closely.  It’s clearly a liquid stain.  There is no rust.  

10 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

That last photo looks like the paint is flaking off!

Not at all, not sure why you would conclude that. It is a sticky residue over the top of the paint. From the tide marks and pooling it looks like run off from a treatment stage. Perhaps dipped vertically then laid horizontal?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I think you need to go to Specsavers, he told you its not rust why do you question him?

You can clearly see in picture two where he rubbed the  3 "rust" spots in picture one off.

YCboot2.thumb.JPG.fddd5d0af795e92954f0e8339fd99340.JPGYCboot3.thumb.JPG.7af35f2ece32ac3e88837fee1f696e96.JPG

• Like 1

Whatever is it should not be there. 
The problem is with the earlier posts with examples of real rust formation on hinges and door shuts, all the cars that went for warranty repair, re spray? 
Any comments about that? 
Honestly no one will care about a marks in the boot that most owners will never notice through the entire ownership, however when hinges and door shuts are rusted on a less than year old cars it shows bigger corrosion protection issues and every single owner of the affected cars has a lot to worry about.
Rust once has started, never can be stopped. 

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The problem is with the earlier posts with examples of real rust formation on hinges and door shuts,

Click on this image and look at the discoloration very close up i don't think its rust, it looks like a waxy sealer like wax oil under sealer  to me. 

rrrrrrre.thumb.JPG.a452d95038a8334482a86b0194f697de.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links