Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

I still use a steering wheel lock at least most of the time!.

This started after loosing two vehicles from diffrent locations in just 6 weeks and since then no vehicles lost to crooks.

Time scale about 20 Years now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

Context, per today's Daily Telegraph. Will continue to use my steering lock when I think necessary.

855457771_IMG_20230523_2034272.thumb.jpg.7864ae198cebe6236e49fe080eb509e0.jpg

It needs context on those figures. i.e. over what period were that number of cars stolen? i.e. are they figures for the whole of 2022, or 2023 to date, or something else? They also seem to cover manufacturers as opposed to models.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

So roughly a 1 in 500 chance. Which will vary by area?

Yup. 0.185% chance and will certainly be a lot higher in inner cities and lower in rural areas.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

It needs context on those figures. i.e. over what period were that number of cars stolen? i.e. are they figures for the whole of 2022, or 2023 to date, or something else? They also seem to cover manufacturers as opposed to models.

Exactly this.  Theft by manufacturer is meaningless.   The more popular the manufacturer it follows that potentially the higher up the list they will appear.   Model, percentage versus numbers sold and areas etc … too superficial to have any usefulness.   I mean, who would have thought Ford, BMW, Audi, etc would be high up there … remarkable.   More details and it is potentially useful.  As it is, not useful.

Just taken the Milenco off my steering wheel and gone back to my older Stoplock Pro ... the Milenco was leaving quite and indentation in the wheel due to it's weight.  The Stop Lock Pro doesn't do that.

24 minutes ago, SO8 said:

Just taken the Milenco off my steering wheel and gone back to my older Stoplock Pro ... the Milenco was leaving quite and indentation in the wheel due to it's weight.  The Stop Lock Pro doesn't do that.

Mine came with these soft pads that connect to the lock and rest on the steering wheel. Just left my car for a week with the lock on and have no visible indentations.

Screenshot_20230525-110004.thumb.png.7e3202eec638aac792f5a8d3e637b051.png

Sorry about the poor quality image. Taken from the Milenco website.

40 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Mine came with these soft pads that connect to the lock and rest on the steering wheel. Just left my car for a week with the lock on and have no visible indentations.

Screenshot_20230525-110004.thumb.png.7e3202eec638aac792f5a8d3e637b051.png

Sorry about the poor quality image. Taken from the Milenco website.

Mine never came with these 🫤

Nor did mine but I’ve not noticed any problems with steering wheel marks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I hadn’t until today.  It’s been on for a couple of weeks I think and nothing but today when it came off there was quite a noticeable indentation.   I will see if it comes out over a day or so.  I guess it should.   I had no issues with my Disklok but I know others do with indentations on the wheel.  I guess it might depend exactly on where it is placed and how it rests too.   I like the ease of the Milenco so would like to persist.

You can buy the rubber pads from the Milenco on line shop. Think they were £9 for the pair. Only problem was they would fall off as they just hook on. ( Don't know if the locks which come with the pads are fitted better)

As they are made of rubber using a heat gun I welded the gap closed. No problems since. Stops the marks and helps you fit it onto the wheel

• Like 1

They will stop the indentations. Just be careful that they don’t fall off. I lost one and could not find it anywhere in the car. It must have dropped off on one of the occasions when I put the lock in the rear seat well via the outside route. Decided I would replace but  as I wrote previously I welded the gaps shut with soldering iron with a flat blade attachment.

On 5/25/2023 at 5:06 PM, robo1 said:

They will stop the indentations. Just be careful that they don’t fall off. I lost one and could not find it anywhere in the car. It must have dropped off on one of the occasions when I put the lock in the rear seat well via the outside route. Decided I would replace but  as I wrote previously I welded the gaps shut with soldering iron with a flat blade attachment.

Wondering re superglue or the likes of Bostik re the new pads ... the standard little bits of 'protection' were only held on (marginally) with what seemed like Bostik or similar.... or do I chance it and see how they stay put ?

On 5/25/2023 at 12:22 PM, ernieb said:

Me neither 

1 hour ago, SO8 said:

Wondering re superglue or the likes of Bostik re the new pads ... the standard little bits of 'protection' were only held on (marginally) with what seemed like Bostik or similar.... or do I chance it and see how they stay put ?

I found initially they stayed put but over a few weeks they tended to come off and the gap got wider presumably due to me putting them back on over the metal bar. Opted to weld them shut. No idea if Bostik or superglue with stick to the rubber like pads but they do melt and remain welded with heat.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, A chapin said:

I really like the RAV4 as a car but have been stunned by the security and now read that it is now rated as poor by thatcham

How can that be ?  Thatcham seem to list the RAV 4 as having:

"Thatcham category 2 immobiliser fitted as standard by the manufacturer ..."

https://thatchamsecurity.co.uk/car_alarms/category_2/original_equipment/toyota.htm

Or is that website not reliable ?

Thatcham revised security tests in 2019. The Corolla and Rav4 were tested in 2020 and  downgraded to 'poor' due to keyless entry and start vulnerabilities - i.e. basically keys not going into sleep mode. 

Believe later versions have corrected this issue.

To put things into context, you have to read the full article:  https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/thatcham-research-keyless-car-theft-test/#:~:text=All seven cars were rated ‘good’ or better,once keyless entry and start vulnerabilities were included.

Would agree with the SMMT response to the Thatcham report as it was done in 2019.My 2020 Rav 4 fob goes to sleep in 3/4 minutes so from that theft angle isn't to bad.What that Thatcham report does is just put all Rav 4 in the poor category. A report like this really should try and be more helpful by putting suggestions forward such as " In the case of the 2019 Rav 4 an owner should manually put the fob to sleep using the fob buttons" 

Easy to pick fault but more helpful to give guidance to owners.

regards Terry

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, kucyk said:

Reportedly, the CAN bus attack doesn't work in newer Toyota/Lexus cars including RAV4 Plug-in

Is anyone able to positively verify this statement , in relation to 2023 RAV PHEV ?

We mentioned the issue to our Toyota dealer, and they said it was still a problem ( 2023 RAV PHEV ) but frok experience the dealers often seem to be the last people to find out abou any developments.....

Thanks very much

• Like 1

As far as I know there is still the same vulnerability. Near side wheel arch cover access to the front light socket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lightboxcar said:

Is anyone able to positively verify this statement , in relation to 2023 RAV PHEV ?

We mentioned the issue to our Toyota dealer, and they said it was still a problem ( 2023 RAV PHEV ) but frok experience the dealers often seem to be the last people to find out abou any developments.....

Thanks very much

The statement comes from the people who are hacking ECUs for a living, so I would be surprised if not true. So far I personally haven't come across stolen PHEV or PRIME using this method and saw two unsuccessful attempts on Facebook groups.

Facelifted 2023 RAV4 Hybrid most likely comes with singed CAN bus communication as well.

10 minutes ago, ernieb said:

As far as I know there is still the same vulnerability. Near side wheel arch cover access to the front light socket.

Obviously access in 2023 PHEV or 2023 Hybrid via arch cover is still possible, but it's useless if the messages to open/start the car can't be spoofed due to invalid signature. ECU just drops them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lightboxcar said:

Thanks very much

You can read the situation for yourself on github here ... assuming that you can understand it, of course. 😉

I definitely don't (claim to understand what is written) but I think that folk are looking at the possibility but definitely have implemented a solution yet ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tried reading it and lost the will to live.

Eyes started to close.!!!!!
Anyone out there able to put that lot into idiot English for me please??
regards Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links