Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

18 minutes ago, D Buck said:

a lot of my stuff was in the boot

Is MyT still tracking your car's movements? If it is, there is a small chance that you may be able to recover your possessions ...

• Like 4

Definitely check out the MyT app location. Others have reported having their cars stolen and managed to recover the car as it’s been abandoned to see if anyone is tracking the car. 

• Like 4

I'd like to know what kind of theft it was - Relay? CANBus? I'm guessing it never had a steering wheel lock.

Where was the key? i.e. do you keep it in a Faraday bag or other metal container away from the front of the house?

As above, can you see the car's location on MyT?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, D Buck said:

What is this world coming to

Really sorry to hear about this, and can imagine how awful it is for you, hopefully your insurance will cover the car.

Thankfully it sounds as though you were not physically harmed, and that's the most important thing.  Appreciate the personal belongings loss is upsetting, but the main thing is that you are safe.

Don't let the low life win, donlt let them get you down

There are lots of fantastic people on this forum who will support you with help and information.

Take care

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I'd like to know what kind of theft it was - Relay? CANBus? I'm guessing it never had a steering wheel lock.

Where was the key? i.e. do you keep it in a faraday bag or other metal container away from the front of the house?

As above, can you see the car's location on MyT?

Please see the other thread posted above

It's a physical attack, no key or relay needed, gone within 40 seconds

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Please see the other thread posted above

It's a physical attack, no key or relay needed, gone within 40 seconds

Right, a CANbus attack. Do you know that was how the car was taken in this case? Assumption is rarely helpful, that's why I was asking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

MO is passenger side headlight, pull the bumper back and access the loom -  there are many other posts in the other thread - the equipment is for sale on the dark web

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

MO is passenger side headlight, pull the bumper back and access the loom -  there are many other posts in the other thread - the equipment is for sale on the dark web

Yes, I am fully aware of the MO for a CANbus attack. I was asking about this theft. The OP has not answered whether the car is still trackable on MyT.

If we don't know the method that was used to take the car then it is unhelpful to assume. It may be correct, but we don't know so should not draw any conclusions.

• Like 3

They all go the same way, DCM/radio is the first thing that is pulled these are gangs that target these cars know what they are doing they will either plot it up or put it on cloned/false plates

3 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Right, a CANbus attack. Do you know that was how the car was taken in this case? Assumption is rarely helpful, that's why I was asking.

I'll just go and warm up the crystal ball, you asked a question, i answered it, not assuming at all, it's an informed decision based on the data that is available - within 48 hours it will be a pile of parts or out of the country

no point in flogging a dead horse

As for the OP, i hope your insurance is going to act quickly, most policies will cover your valuables up to a set sum

Absolutely sickening, so sorry for your loss. ALL manufacturers don’t seem to understand what it feels like to have a car stolen…they do so little to prevent it (apart from Tesla).

My next new Toyota (this year hopefully), will have a Catloc, Ghost 2 alarm, and Disclock fitted…a huge inconvenience, but at least I will sleep at night!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ravirules said:

Absolutely sickening, so sorry for your loss. ALL manufacturers don’t seem to understand what it feels like to have a car stolen…they do so little to prevent it (apart from Tesla).

My next new Toyota (this year hopefully), will have a Catloc, Ghost 2 alarm, and Disclock fitted…a huge inconvenience, but at least I will sleep at night!

I had ghost 2 fitted a couple of weeks ago and had to have it removed as it played hell with the hybrid system, I don't know if it was faulty or incorrectly fitted but told them to remove it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, tfc said:

I had ghost 2 fitted a couple of weeks ago and had to have it removed as it played hell with the hybrid system, I don't know if it was faulty or incorrectly fitted but told them to remove it.

Thanks for the heads up,👍

That is rubbish that the ghost 2 affected the hybrid system.

couple of questions: what was it doing to the hybrid system and did you get a full refund for the Ghost 2

regards Terry

23 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

couple of questions

See:

TBH I would imagine tapping into the hybrid power train at various points to put hard stops in is not a good idea.

11 hours ago, Ravirules said:

I am starting to think whether best way to sleep at night is not buying the RAV4. I was attracted by 10-yr warranty but it may not worth the worry. Huge inconvenience is an understatement - it is a massive pain in the butt to fit Disclock type things every time you leave the car.

I also visit few other car forums similar to RAV4 and none of them reports car stolen so frequently like here. 

I checked online this stolen car, as per registration, is an Icon model. I was wondering whether thieves are stealing higher spec cars like Excel/Dynamic but no, all RAV4 models are vulnerable. 

One may argue that statistically stolen RAV4 numbers are very small but that does not resolve the issue that chance of RAV4 stolen in this way remains very high until this vulnerability is taken care by Toyota.

1 hour ago, Terry10 said:

That is rubbish that the ghost 2 affected the hybrid system.

couple of questions: what was it doing to the hybrid system and did you get a full refund for the Ghost 2

Terry, well seems as you say "rubbish" can you explain to all of us that when it was removed the vehicle performed as normal, even the installer who fitted it came back and removed it was baffled. The refund is being processed. 

Just another bit of info, when the scorpion x was installed when you select a gear forward  or reverse there was no response from the accelerator pedal so that didn't work when the installer tested it.

Little bit more info, if you watch the very beginning of the video you will see the alarm red led light flash twice in the left cluster telling me the ghost is now disarmed and I can now start the car but also look at the gear selector icon that goes through a sequence in time with the 2 flashes which if you look at other YouTube videos that doesn't happen to other cars

This video was done after the installer left with the G2 removed, I am gong to send these video's to the Autowatch people not to the installers and see what they make of it as the installers are a separate company. I'm truly gutted that it didnt work but I have been given another company number to ring by Autowatch and see if he has done one on a corolla .

18 minutes ago, tfc said:

Link to first video with the G2 fitted

If the car does not charge when in Ready mode in Park the Ghost 2 clearly had to go ...

One dumb question that may be academic now - if you put the car into Drive (or presumably Reverse) you say that charging resumed; if you then put the car back into Park did it stop charging again?

43 minutes ago, philip42h said:

If the car does not charge when in Ready mode in Park the Ghost 2 clearly had to go ...

One dumb question that may be academic now - if you put the car into Drive (or presumably Reverse) you say that charging resumed; if you then put the car back into Park did it stop charging again?

43 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Philip has soon as the wheels starts rotating it would start to charge and when I stop at traffic lights or a junction it would stop charging after about 2 or 3 secs or if its parked up in park it wouldn't charge at all

When it first came to light was when I was stopped at a junction first thing in the morning rush hour at the top of our street trying to get out onto the main road and that is when the car shut down and what you are seeing in that video. I was able to use the car for a week only short trips until the installer could get back to remove it but had to keep a eye on the Battery levels, I tried to regen as much as possible. The canbus side is only one part of the installation but I will not reveal where else it connects to as they told me not to reveal it.

I must of spent a full day in total trying to find answers, watched a shed load of YT videos trying to find if anyone else has had this problem. At first they said the G2 was not at fault so being non the wiser.

I went to Toyota to book it in and showed them the video on my phone so got a booking for the 25th I didnt tell them I had a G2 fitted, anyway when I got home it had me thinking so I rung Toyota UK and asked the question if it would invalidate the warranty and they said no but if it deems that the G2 has caused a problem it 'may' void the warranty so with this I asked the G2 to be removed for a tidy some of £180, so had it removed and everything is back to normal and cancelled the workshop visit, and now in the process of a full refund plus the £180. With them refunding the £180 seems they know the G2 is at fault

• Like 1

Hi John ( tfc ) sorry, I didn't mean that your comment about the Ghost 2 affecting the hybrid system was rubbish. 
What I did mean was that with the number of hybrids on the road it is rubbish that these people design something that clearly has not been tested on hybrids.

Not like it is cheap is it, but glad to hear that you are getting a full refund.

Be interesting to know if there is anyone out there who has had the Ghost 2 fitted to their hybrid and it has been trouble free.

Got quite close to buying one myself recently but  got over the issue in a different way hopefully.

Terry.

• Like 2

When I took the wheel arch liner out partially, to change the fog bulbs, I think I saw the connector that they target.

If it was that, that is REALLY crap design by Toyota, it's just hanging there ready to be plugged into.  Really bad.  Even if you boxed-in the socket somehow, there are accessible wires.

2 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Hi John ( tfc ) sorry, I didn't mean that your comment about the Ghost 2 affecting the hybrid system was rubbish. 
What I did mean was that with the number of hybrids on the road it is rubbish that these people design something that clearly has not been tested on hybrids.

Not like it is cheap is it, but glad to hear that you are getting a full refund.

Be interesting to know if there is anyone out there who has had the Ghost 2 fitted to their hybrid and it has been trouble free.

Got quite close to buying one myself recently but  got over the issue in a different way hopefully.

Terry.

Terry dont worry about it, I'm not sure if the Lexus hybrids is the same system as our vehicles regarding how the hybrid works because I can find loads of Lexus with the G2 but no Toyota's also BMW hybrids. The installer did admit he's never fitted one to a Toyota but has done Lexus thats why I'm leaning towards it been wired up wrong hopefully. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

When I took the wheel arch liner out partially, to change the fog bulbs, I think I saw the connector that they target.

If it was that, that is REALLY crap design by Toyota, it's just hanging there ready to be plugged into.  Really bad.  Even if you boxed-in the socket somehow, there are accessible wires.

Guy is it possible to fit a door switch to the liner so if it is disturbed the alarm will go off, it should be easy to fit just need a wire from a existing alarm wire maybe one for the bonnet thats if the bonnet is alarmed up. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links