Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

13 hours ago, aerykk said:

You'd think so, but plenty of photos of cut wheel locks on amazon 🙃

It's not a luxury car that is rare to find, there are plenty of RAV4s on the streets. I don't believe any sane person would bother cutting the lock as there is an identical RAV4 parked on the street two blocks away.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:15 PM, Strangely Brown said:

Do you have any links to those? I'd be very surprised if they were either of the recommended items here.

Of course, anything can be cut given the right tools and enough time and seclusion. Cutting through a Stoplock or a Milenco will be very noisy and take a lot longer than any thief would want to spend doing it. It would be far easier to cut the steering wheel but that cuts into profit [no pun intended]... and still takes time and makes noise.

The visual deterrent of a quality lock should be sufficient that they will move on. If they are that determined to take your particular car then there is nothing that you can do to stop them.

For sure, finding a quality one is part of the problem. Another problem is that they can still technically back up into the street, and remove the lock where it's less noisy. I'd be curious to see HOW noisy it actually is. I think either way you'd want to be notified in some way, otherwise you'll be spending more time recovering it. Lets say visual deterrent stops 95% probably audible deterrent handles the other 5%

Many reviews talk about the lock falling apart. So basically a fake/low quality lock. But how do you even tell? Not every country has the same locks/quality available. StopLock has the tradeoff of randomly breaking.

The Winner 1 star reviews: https://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B000JQOKW4/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

"My CRV was stolen from my driveway last night with The Club on the steering wheel"

"This didn’t even last 2 weeks before thieves managed to cut it off in about 30 seconds."

"Thought my car was safe with this product however it was still stolen out of my driveway."

StopLock Pro Elite 1 star reviews: https://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B06XP21DK6/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

"The key is no longer functioning and my steering is left locked up. I cant drive my car!!!"

"Lasted a few weeks, lock stopped working, key would not go in"

"Had to get someone to come out and cut it off at a cot if £40 so I could get home"

If a thief wants to steal your car, they will steal your car

I don't think that's true. I think it comes down to 1) how easy you make it 2) proximity 3) situation (are you obviously on vacation ie. untouched mail for days, is this common in your area, does everybody else have garages, etc)

Car thefts these days are mostly stolen to order for shipping abroad in containers (African continent) or for chop shops, the gangs would of singled out a vehicle what they want and watched for a couple days before they nick it and once stolen they will park it up for a couple days in a housing car park or side street to see if it has a tracker fitted and if its still there they will now move it on. The other type of car thefts are ones that use the stolen vehicle for robbiers and car gets trashed and most likely torched when they have done with it.

Same goes for BMW , thief's can remove a steering wheel in a matter of seconds for the airbag as they are expensive to replace, they are not bothered about alarm going off as by the time you got out of the house they are long gone. No tools needed , they can take the wheel and steering lock if fitted all in one go, another bad design and easy for the thief's.

Sad world we live in as the scumbags have no fear, just have to look at them nicking ebikes in Broad daylight with their grinders and passers-by to frightened to tackle them.

1 hour ago, tfc said:

Car thefts these days are mostly stolen to order for shipping abroad in containers (African continent) or for chop shops, the gangs would of singled out a vehicle what they want and watched for a couple days before they nick it and once stolen they will park it up for a couple days in a housing car park or side street to see if it has a tracker fitted and if its still there they will now move it on. The other type of car thefts are ones that use the stolen vehicle for robbiers and car gets trashed and most likely torched when they have done with it.

Same goes for BMW , thief's can remove a steering wheel in a matter of seconds for the airbag as they are expensive to replace, they are not bothered about alarm going off as by the time you got out of the house they are long gone. No tools needed , they can take the wheel and steering lock if fitted all in one go, another bad design and easy for the thief's.

Sad world we live in as the scumbags have no fear, just have to look at them nicking ebikes in Broad daylight with their grinders and passers-by to frightened to tackle them.

That's really good to know. Okay so just don't make it too easy and roll the dice, like everything else in life

On 5/14/2023 at 4:23 PM, aerykk said:

For sure, finding a quality one is part of the problem.

In the UK we have a website called Sold Secure - owned by the Master Locksmiths Association (a trade association) who independently test in their laboratories, a variety of vehicle and home security devices including steering wheel locks. Those that pass the required tests are awarded their Sold Secure Gold Standard. Currently the Milenco High Security and Disklock steering wheel locks have achieved this standard.

We also have Secured By Design, a Police initiative, which approves various security devices for vehicles and home.

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the UK we have a website called Sold Secure - owned by the Master Locksmiths Association (a trade association) who independently test in their laboratories, a variety of vehicle and home security devices including steering wheel locks. Those that pass the required tests are awarded their Sold Secure Gold Standard. Currently the Milenco High Security and Disklock steering wheel locks have achieved this standard.

We also have Secured By Design, a Police initiative, which approves various security devices for vehicles and home.

Stoplock Pro not on the list ?

15 minutes ago, SO8 said:

Stoplock Pro not on the list ?

Stoplock Pro Elite did achieve Sold Secure Gold Standard in 2019, but currently doesn't feature on the Sold Secure website as having this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Very cool. Europe leading the way. Only wheel lock in the list is sold out everywhere except eBay 4x more than a normal lock, but maybe I'll bite some day

5 hours ago, aerykk said:

Very cool. Europe leading the way. Only wheel lock in the list is sold out everywhere

UK actually.

Both available from multiple sources in the UK.

34 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Still available on Amazon which is where I bought mine, Milenco.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B8JKJTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

So I did have a scare with the millenco about 6 weeks back. Never an issue before and after. Set the scene... I'm half way up a mountain in the North lakes on a dirt trail. Parked up. Instinctively put the steering lock on despite the 1 in a billion chance of theft in that situation. Got back and I couldn't unlock it. Put the key in fully and tried all the obvious. 20 minutes of faff later and fiddling with the barrels with a screw driver I managed to open it with the key. 😅

The only time I’ve had any problem was when I hadn’t inserted the key completely into the lock. In fact the Milenco instruction specifically warn you if you are having an issue is to reinsert the key and ensure it’s fully engaged.

I think in the situation @Nick72 was in my rising level of panic would probably turn my hands to jelly as well as my mind.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in the different looks of the Milenco, Stoplock Pro, Stoplock Pro Elite and Disklok …. 

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

The only time I’ve had any problem was when I hadn’t inserted the key completely into the lock. In fact the Milenco instruction specifically warn you if you are having an issue is to reinsert the key and ensure it’s fully engaged.

I think in the situation @Nick72 was in my rising level of panic would probably turn my hands to jelly as well as my mind.

So first thing I did was, make sure key fully in lock as per writing on the lock etc. I think the barrel had somehow got out of alignment. Straightened up with the screwdriver! My wife was not pleased when I said it's only an 8 mile walk back down. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure if there are some small variances in tolerance between models or individual vehicles, or even in individual Stoplocks, but there was no way on earth I could get the Stoplock Pro to fit without it pressing the horn. I tried both in Halfords car park before settling on the Pro Elite.

Just worth having in mind if buying without trying and making sure the returns process is easy enough if required. 

The Pro Elite will definitely fit but is a little bigger than ideal. The Pro might fit, ideally there would be a Goldilocks version in between.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nlee said:

I'm not sure if there are some small variances in tolerance between models or individual vehicles, or even in individual Stoplocks, but there was no way on earth I could get the Stoplock Pro to fit without it pressing the horn. I tried both in Halfords car park before settling on the Pro Elite.

Just worth having in mind if buying without trying and making sure the returns process is easy enough if required. 

The Pro Elite will definitely fit but is a little bigger than ideal. The Pro might fit, ideally there would be a Goldilocks version in between.

The Pro Elite is the only one listed as being compatible with the latest RAV4, the extra clearance is required to clear the central boss

4 hours ago, ColinB said:

The Pro Elite is the only one listed as being compatible with the latest RAV4, the extra clearance is required to clear the central boss

Well, for the 2023 PHEV I have the Pro definitely fits.  Other models I can't say but on mine it fits easily.  The Pro elite is too big ... but can be used - as shown on my pics above.

I wonder if there is a subtle difference in steering wheel airbag depth depending on model year. 

51 minutes ago, SO8 said:

Well, for the 2023 PHEV I have the Pro definitely fits.  Other models I can't say but on mine it fits easily.  The Pro elite is too big ... but can be used - as shown on my pics above.

I wonder if there is a subtle difference in steering wheel airbag depth depending on model year. 

Mines a 2021 PHEV. I don't think there's any difference on the steering wheel. Could be manufacturing tolerances like you say but thinking about it, maybe more likely tolerances on the bend of the StopLock itself .

Context, per today's Daily Telegraph. Will continue to use my steering lock when I think necessary.

855457771_IMG_20230523_2034272.thumb.jpg.7864ae198cebe6236e49fe080eb509e0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Vainona70 said:

Context, per today's Daily Telegraph. Will continue to use my steering lock when I think necessary.

855457771_IMG_20230523_2034272.thumb.jpg.7864ae198cebe6236e49fe080eb509e0.jpg

So roughly a 1 in 500 chance. Which will vary by area?

Biggest relish these seems to be catalytic converter theft. Getting brazen. Right outside of folks home with car on the drive. 

• Like 1

Edit: nvm brainfart delete meee

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links