Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

And now the stupid questions begin

Primus1

Of course I should have asked these questions on the test drive but hey ho, so forgive me if these come across as a bit lame

I’ve ordered the excel with city pack, and I understand that this reduces the size of the info screen down from 9 to 8 in, does this make much difference?, obviously if you haven’t swapped between the two you won’t know

do the electric windows have one touch and/or global opening?

I was told that you can set the temperature via the app ie, heat the car in winter, but can you set it to cool in summer ( I’d only do it ten minutes before I were to drive away so as not to drain the Battery too much.

that’s all for now , but I’m sure I’ll think of some more daft questions, so be gentle….🤔

• Like 2

Hey Alan 1” smaller shouldn’t matter much. Windows are in almost all cars are one touch. Not sure what you mean by global. I’m going to speculate re preheating/cooling. I’ve never come across it on this forum re Toyota’s.

• Like 2

Just now, Bernard Foy said:

Hey Alan 1” smaller shouldn’t matter much. Windows are in almost all cars are one touch. Not sure what you mean by global. I’m going to speculate re preheating/cooling. I’ve never come across it on this forum re Toyota’s.

Others more knowledgeable will chime in

Global opening/closing is where one can remotely open/close all the windows using the key fob.

As far as I'm aware the Yaris Cross doesn't have this feature on UK market models. 

• Like 4

Primus1,

The 8" screen is an older multimedia unit that has most of the bugs ironed out BUT might reach end of life sooner than the 9" unit. To learn about its capabilities read up on the Touch 2 unit. Some accessories in the various add-on packs will only work with this unit.

The 9" screen  belongs to the newest media unit that Toyota is introducing. This is called Smart Connect and there are a few bugs reported. This unit will support wireless Android Auto / AppleCarPlay but some members report problems.

Both will do the usual things, play audio files, Radio DAB  FM and support wired connection for the phone apps above.  I am not sure about the Sat Nav for the 8" unit but the 9" has it built-in with over the air updates at each start up via a built-in mobile connection.

Remote climate control should hear & cool for 10/ 15/ 20 minutes. It reverts to last temp used on heating controls.  The car will automatically start the engine to support Battery and for heat. This feature is dependent on model and Excel and above above should have it.

Enjoy

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Global opening/closing is where one can remotely open/close all the windows using the key fob.

As far as I'm aware the Yaris Cross doesn't have this feature on UK market models. 

It does. 

It is a dealer accessible option.  My dealer didn't know but I had read it up in the online manual. 

• Like 3

The Smart Connect screen has a superior map base with more detail and the option for selecting fuel, coffee POI directly from the menu. It accepts full post code input. 

It boasts a 3D display but this is almost imperceptible compared with Touch to Go. The T2G has clearer graphics and better contrast.  As you drive it also drops bread crumbs. 

It's a balance between a better more comprehensive data base and the clearer, less cluttered, display. 

I am becoming used to the Google maps display but this lacks the speed camera displays, specs zone and average speed display, and over speed nagging of the SM. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

Of course I should have asked these questions on the test drive but hey ho, so forgive me if these come across as a bit lame

I’ve ordered the excel with city pack, and I understand that this reduces the size of the info screen down from 9 to 8 in, does this make much difference?, obviously if you haven’t swapped between the two you won’t know

I was told that you can set the temperature via the app ie, heat the car in winter, but can you set it to cool in summer ( I’d only do it ten minutes before I were to drive away so as not to drain the battery too much.

that’s all for now , but I’m sure I’ll think of some more daft questions, so be gentle….🤔

I’ve got the Excel with the city pack and the smaller screen.  On the up side, it’s got the buttons which seem in favour these days, I’m not that bothered either way.  It’s slightly disappointing that when Toyota developed the later system they didn’t make it compatible with the city pack.   The remote AC will cool so for a setting of say 21, it will heat in winter and cool in summer.  It won’t flatten the Battery so don’t worry about that, if it gets to a situation where it might, it simply won’t run.  A couple of poor things.  The interior light isn’t just bad it’s a joke.  A two euro piece of Chinese tat that they should be ashamed of and nothing for the peasants in the back, they have to fumble.  LED bulbs can be fitted in the front which is a big improvement but not everyone can do it.  There’s no drive away locking which is another ridiculous omission these days.   They do give you some braille dots on the lock button so blind drivers should be OK.  I have a car park pass but is there somewhere to put it?   Not a clip or a fold of vinyl in sight.  I like the vehicle and the engineering but they need to think things out a bit more.  There is a switch panel by your right knee.  It would be better in the boot where you wouldn’t risk crashing to use it.  If there is the risk of auto lights dazzling someone, the switch should be immediately accessible.   The heated steering wheel switch lives down there too where you would intuitively put the heated feet switch.  I’ve probably not finished on that but it really deserves a new thread.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Anchorman. You have covered many of my niggles too. Plenty of switch blanks the get the heated wheel switch on the centre area. 

Agree about the hard switches over soft. You need a competent passenger to operate half the stuff. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

I have a car park pass but is there somewhere to put it?   Not a clip or a fold of vinyl in sight.

We've used these in our last few cars:

https://tikettak.com/ 

Also available at Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tikettak-caravan-windscreen-permit-parking/dp/B00CORTF1M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7JBQ3MFVHH36&keywords=Tikettak&qid=1673308202&sprefix=tikettak%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Good solution Mike.  I couldn’t leave it in the window, it’d be gone but I could find somewhere discreet for it.  I’ll order one 👍

• Like 1

Well thanks all , not too bothered about the global opening, I asked more out of curiosity than anything else, but if the dealer can activate it then I might ask them, is the smaller screen inferior to the larger one? ( I’m thinking sat nav) it seems strange they can’t fit the bigger screen that works the same as the smaller one ..

• Like 1

On screen sizes it's very much personal.  The City Pack does give you the all round display and better reversing guidance. 

For my purposes I find the Smart Connect suits me better. 

What sort of driving you do will really determine which is better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

it seems strange they can’t fit the bigger screen that works the same as the smaller one ..

It's not a 'screen'. It's a complete physical electronics package, usually developed by a subcontractor. They can't just change the screen size at will.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

On screen sizes it's very much personal.  The City Pack does give you the all round display and better reversing guidance. 

For my purposes I find the Smart Connect suits me better. 

What sort of driving you do will really determine which is better. 

That’s why I went for that , I’m a bit of a gadget freak although I can’t always work them, I quite fancy the surround view camera, and the wavy reversing lines is the same as what’s on my current car, it’s mainly for the mrs, to make things easier for her, because she’s on the petite side she needs all the assistance she can get, 

• Like 4

The screen is a bit horses for courses; If you're going to use ACP/AA via your phone it's mostly moot anyway, but I actually prefer the older screen as it has more physical controls. I often use the left knob to select specific folders/songs to play as it's much easier, more accurate and much safer than trying to poke the touch screen while driving, but that's omitted from the newer display.

The screens use very different interfaces and software, but TBH I don't think it'll matter that much.

The Yaris is unusual in that all the window switches are one-touch open and close; It's the first Yaris to have that, as previously it was only on the driver's window. There isn't a button to do all of the windows, but the dealer can turn on the remote window control, so you can hold Lock on the remote to close all windows, or Unlock to open them. It's not on by default tho'.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I was told that you can set the temperature via the app ie, heat the car in winter, but can you set it to cool in summer ( I’d only do it ten minutes before I were to drive away so as not to drain the battery too much.

Doe sent make much difference, but you do get the volume control on a physical knob with the 8" screen rather than a button which is nice.

They have one touch opening just pull the switch all the way and release,not sure about global not sure what that means. but you can operate them all from the drivers seat. 

The temperature control via app will be set to whatever you leave the Climate control on last time you used the car. 

• Like 1

I have global opening on my puma, handy on hot days where you press and hold the unlock button and all the windows lower, it just gives a few minutes to get rid of the heat build up, but if the cross has the ability to cool the car using the climate, then it will be pointless anyway, but I’ll still ask the dealer to do it

• Like 1

I wanted it for the opposite reason - I think a month after I got mine there was a rain storm and I had somehow left the windows open - I had to dash out, unlock the car, get in, start it, close all the windows, turn the car off, get out and dash back to the house all while being drenched :laugh: 

If I could have just leaned out the window and held down the LOCK button to do that I would have been a lot drier :laugh: 

The range of the remote open/close is a bit weird and it seems like you need to be very still - I tried walking up to the car while holding Unlock in the summer to vent it before I got to it, but I got right up to it and it didn't trigger. I've only gotten it to work while standing still

• Haha 2

Regardless of the ability to get the car cool before you get there, opening all the windows will allow it to dump the hot air before get in. 

• Like 1

Cyker, your point about not having to start the car is a good one.  

My Merc had the facility but the range was very short due either to age or a fault.  3 inches was about max 😁

• Haha 1

I think the newer 9” system is better if you intend to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto a lot. The screen is larger, higher resolution, more responsive and the wireless connection is much more convenient.

For a wired phone connection you have to use the single USB port in the centre of the console.

But the City Pack is only compatible with the older 8” display. City Pack adds the 360 view and automatic kerbing/parking 😉. So it is purely down to personal priorities. The sales reps seldom do a good job of explaining the differences. I test drove the 8” but then got them to power up the showroom car so I could have a play with the 9”. 

We never use our phones through the cars screens so 8 in should be ok

8 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

We never use our phones through the cars screens so 8 in should be ok

For what it's worth, I'd say the opposite. It's not the size of the screen but the operating system behind it that differs. I have a '21 RAV4 PHEV with the Touch2go system (albeit a 9" screen), my wife has just got a Yaris Excel with the Smart Connect system. Now being able to compare side by side, I'd say the Smart Connect system is streets ahead (although we haven't experienced any of the aforementioned quirks as yet). If you want navigation with real-time updates, similar to the likes of TomTom, Google, Waze, etc., without using Android Auto or CarPlay, you would definitely be better with the Smart Connect. Using these apps, then it's not so much of deal-breaker but I'd still say the Smart Connect is better laid out and looks more modern.

Just another point, I didn't think the Touch2 system (8") had navigation? In which case you would have to connect your phone for any navigation option. Does the extra pack you mention add Navigation to the base system? Other owners may be able to advise, or best check before you order. 

Just another opinion.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links