Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

And now the stupid questions begin

Primus1

10 hours ago, IT Troll said:

😉The sales reps seldom do a good job of explaining the differences. I test drove the 8” but then got them to power up the showroom car so I could have a play with the 9”. 

When we ordered our Cross the City Pack was £100 extra and we decided that for the price the extra features were a bargain.  Only at home, reading the leaflets did we realise it was not an add on but a totally different system.  Even the sales man had not been aware of that. 

Our demo car had had Smart Connect. 

Slightly confused, op says ordered Excel with city pack? Is this a new car? The Excel has all of the city pack features anyway, plus the 9" display as standard. Am I wrong?

53 minutes ago, pauly69 said:

Slightly confused, op says ordered Excel with city pack? Is this a new car? The Excel has all of the city pack features anyway, plus the 9" display as standard. Am I wrong?

The city pack gets auto parking and 360 cameras.  

• Like 3

Yes adding city pack gives navigation, surround camera, dynamic lines on the reversing camera and a couple of other things I’ve forgotten 

• Like 1

On the display it has a better contrast though lower detail.  It also has breadcrumbs which I miss as you can quickly retrace a route. 

• Like 2

On my puma it has a display that shows if you are too close to the vehicle in front, this can be set via the radar cruise setting , ( although cruise isn’t selected) it’s yellow if you are encroaching in the set distance and goes red if you are closer still ( or if a car moves into the space you are keeping from the car in front) does the Yaris cross have this ?, also the auto high beam assist has a switch near the heated steering wheel switch, does this have to be reset every time the engine is switched off? . Or , once selected , does it stay on all the time?

The Yaris Cross does have yellow and red warnings, these are about 3 feet and 1 foot but I think that's not very far for when you are doing 60! 🙂

No, if you use Adaptive Speed Control the car will automatically maintain one of 3 speed related intervals.  Roughly 3 bars at 60 mph will leave a sufficiently large gap that a truck will think he should be in.  At 2 bars you may deter the truck but not a panel van.  With 1 bar you will get white van man pushing in.  The car will always ease back to re-establish the interval.

If you just use the constant speed control you should get an audible warning and urgent braking if you do not react.

Auto High beam and Steering Wheel Heater are on or off as last set.

Brake Hold has to be set every time you start.

• Like 3

I think the pre-collision warning system is perhaps the closest match for that. It has three sensitivity levels (middle is the default) and will even brake if the risk of collision is high and you do not.

The auto high beam function does remain enabled between journeys.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

I think the pre-collision warning system is perhaps the closest match for that. It has three sensitivity levels (middle is the default) and will even brake if the risk of collision is high and you do not.

The auto high beam function does remain enabled between journeys.

It's best to observe how it all works rather than set out to test it 😁

Today, reversing out of a car park the rear crossing alert took over and braked the car at the same moment the other car appeared in the rear camera and before I could see it. 

When it all works as advertised it is almost spooky. 

• Like 4

Yes my current car has emergency brake assist….I can’t get the mrs to stand in front so I can test it🤭

• Haha 4

In the case of pedestrians, the Yaris Cross may choose to swerve rather than brake.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

In the case of pedestrians, the Yaris Cross may choose to swerve rather than brake.

If mine swerves it’ll be traded before it straightens out.  Where have you heard this?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

She’ll have to move about a bit then….🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, anchorman said:

If mine swerves it’ll be traded before it straightens out.  Where have you heard this?

It is not really a fully automated swerve. Just some steering assistance in certain scenarios.

If the system determines that the possibility of a collision with a pedestrian is high and that there is sufficient space for the vehicle to be steered into within its lane, and the driver has begun evasive manoeuvre or steering, emergency steering assist will assist the steering movements to help enhance the vehicle stability and for lane departure prevention. 

• Like 1

I think the idea is, if you're steering to avoid something but the system thinks you're still going to hit it, it'll try and steer more in that direction until it's sure you will clear it.

I think it can also brake the wheels on one side to sort-of torque-vector the car in that direction too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IT Troll said:

It is not really a fully automated swerve. Just some steering assistance in certain scenarios.

Yes I guessed what it was but thanks.  I think that gobbledygook was written by somebody in Toyota that doesn’t really know how to explain it.  I don’t mind a car that brakes on my behalf but I wouldn’t tolerate one that swerves on it.  All it does is assist if the driver is already taking avoiding action but then it goes cloudy with the lane departure bit.  Not long ago I was driving on a dual carriageway where it first closed the right lane then took us between two rows of cones to the right and as we crossed the lines that ridiculous system tried very hard to pull me into the cones.  For some daft reason somebody has elected to default it to on instead of letting the owner choose.  It has its benefits on long journeys where the driver might nod off but to intervene otherwise can be dangerous.  

• Like 2

Yeah, mine frequently tries to steer me into parked cars or on-coming vehicles :laugh: 

The pull isn't too strong and very easy to override so I'm not so bothered by it any more. Just one of those car quirks you get used to after a while I guess.

The AEB false-triggering and anti-collision throttle cut-out is still more of an issue for me, as they've turned perfectly safe situations into very dangerous ones a few times now.

I have a stupid question.

I have front and rear parking sensors on my Cross and when parking, the distance is showing on the instrument cluster instead of the middle multimedia display (9" version with 4 buttons) it's possible to change it? It's pretty stupid to have a visual indication on the instrument cluster during parking when you turn with the steering wheel all the time and block the view on the cluster. Pretty stupid to me.

I searched in the settings but don't think it's possible to change where these parking sensors are shown.

Another stupid thing is resetting the clock to :00 minutes...What is the point of resetting the minutes, for example, you will set the 14:26 time to 14:00 with one click of the button. (and this setting is on top of all :D, one wrong click and your time is reset)

Screenshot_3.jpg

1 hour ago, RobertR said:

I have front and rear parking sensors on my Cross and when parking, the distance is showing on the instrument cluster instead of the middle multimedia display (9" version with 4 buttons) it's possible to change it? It's pretty stupid to have a visual indication on the instrument cluster during parking when you turn with the steering wheel all the time and block the view on the cluster. Pretty stupid to me.

I searched in the settings but don't think it's possible to change where these parking sensors are shown.

You can't.  Yes, the wheel will conceal the display, but should you be looking off centre at the  other display instead? 

My old merc had rear parking sensor lights set above the rear window as well, so when you looked in the rear view mirror you saw them.

Always thought that was a superb idea

• Like 1

It's pretty stupid to have a visual indication on the instrument cluster during parking when you turn with the steering wheel all the time and block the view on the cluster. Pretty stupid to me.

I assume it is there so that the multimedia screen remains free for the reversing camera (or 360 if you have it).

• Like 1

Another stupid thing is resetting the clock to :00 minutes...What is the point of resetting the minutes, for example, you will set the 14:26 time to 14:00 with one click of the button. (and this setting is on top of all :D, one wrong click and your time is reset)

Screenshot_3.jpg

The clock thing is quite a good idea albeit an ancient Toyota quirk.  It allows you to calibrate the seconds to the time signal (they used to play it all the time on Radio 2…. Well every hour!) it goes to the nearest “hour” so at 11:29 it will jump to 11:00 and at 11:31 it will jump to 12:00.  Very good for getting your seconds right.  However, you set the clock in the seconds and you can sync it the time signal from the cloud or Mars or wherever it comes from.  

The car is full of digital modules (GPS, gsm) that can receive precise timestamps, no point in having this (as you call it correctly) ancient quirk. But Toyota using a led segment clock on some 2022 models, so no reason to be surprised by this, at least if it hasn't been on the first setting item, at least in the time sub-menu.

But every car has this, even the 200k$ mercedes will have some quirks.

18 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

I assume it is there so that the multimedia screen remains free for the reversing camera (or 360 if you have it).

Yes, the 9" infotainment display show me the view from the rear camera but I will be more pleased if shows a parking sensor reading either on this screen. IF it's not changeable, no point of bother about it.

Robert, on a wider point, that screen is nothing more than the front of a computer.  I am sure it would be possible to root it and do many more things. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links