Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

And now the stupid questions begin

Primus1

Can you stop the auto tailgate by pressing the button on the tailgate?, and does the sat nav show turn information on the drivers instrument screen?

38 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

does the sat nav show turn information on the drivers instrument screen?

It does. Even if you are using navigation on your phone via Apple CarPlay (presumably Android Auto too).

• Like 2

Yes...android auto works too. And motorized tailgate can be stopped at any position and be saved.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

It does. Even if you are using navigation on your phone via Apple CarPlay (presumably Android Auto too).

That’s something I wanted to know.  

• Like 1

On my MY21 I do not get turn by turn.  If you do on MY21 I shall ask my dealer as he is very switched on.

That’s good about the tailgate and  nav, my current cars tailgate can be stopped, which is handy when I’m unloading the shopping and it won’t hit the garage door, my sat nav via the info screen shows the correct lane to be in when exiting a motorway, does the sat nav in the cross do this also?

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

On my MY21 I do not get turn by turn.  If you do on MY21 I shall ask my dealer as he is very switched on.

I thought I’d checked on the one time I used it and it didn’t.  Mines a 23 model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

my sat nav via the info screen shows the correct lane to be in when exiting a motorway, does the sat nav in the cross do this also?

I think the Smart Connect system does not do this.  It might also be why I don't see turn directions on the speed display screen. 

I have Smart Connect and do get turn directions on the instrument cluster. You have to switch to the correct screen to see them. I don’t tend to have them on though so I am not sure about motorway lane guidance.

I too can't see the turn by turn indication on instrument cluster when using Android Auto.  This information is avalable on TT3 Multimedia ( 7 or 8 inch with 8 keys ) only if you have the optional NAV module ( even if you're using Google Maps or Waze to navigate instead of bulit in nav )

10 hours ago, IT Troll said:

I have Smart Connect and do get turn directions on the instrument cluster. You have to switch to the correct screen to see them. I don’t tend to have them on though so I am not sure about motorway lane guidance.

I have not found that option yet though admit it was not something I relied on in the Corolla with Touch 2 Go. 

I am still undecided between Google Maps and Smart Connect.  The latter has the camera warning and specs camera average speed but I prefer the clarity and detail on Google. 

I have an unreasoning hatred of Google tracking me and second guessing my entire life 🤣

I disable as many of the Google apps on my phone as I can without bricking it and I use Duckduckgo as a browser app.

• Like 1

Mine will have the city pack with the smaller screen, does that make any difference to the nav..?

12 hours ago, IT Troll said:

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

I have not found that option yet though admit it was not something I relied on in the Corolla with Touch 2 Go. 

I am still undecided between Google Maps and Smart Connect.  The latter has the camera warning and specs camera average speed but I prefer the clarity and detail on Google. 

Smart Connect certainly does get the turn instructions on the instrument cluster, but I do not believe you have to be on any 'correct' screen. I certainly get them on various screens I use.  Although it is not something I rely on either, with the audible instructions being useful.  But the little lady in the unit really irritates me by telling me to take the first "texit". Or is that just my unit? Can I swap the little lady for one who can pronounce "exit"?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Impith said:

Smart Connect certainly does get the turn instructions on the instrument cluster, but I do not believe you have to be on any 'correct' screen. I certainly get them on various screens I use.  Although it is not something I rely on either, with the audible instructions being useful.  But the little lady in the unit really irritates me by telling me to take the first "texit". Or is that just my unit? Can I swap the little lady for one who can pronounce "exit"?

By eck lad, thee as t Yorkshire version 

• Haha 3

That might be it, I’ve got the old system so mine might not.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

1 hour ago, Impith said:

Smart Connect certainly does get the turn instructions on the instrument cluster, but I do not believe you have to be on any 'correct' screen. I certainly get them on various screens I use.

The multi-information display (instrument panel) has many different screens. The are organised into five categories (selected using the left/right buttons) and then various screens within those groupings (selected using up/down). As far as I have seen, turn instructions are only displayed on 1 of the ~20 screens. See page 112 in the manual.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

The multi-information display (instrument panel) has many different screens. The are organised into five categories (selected using the left/right buttons) and then various screens within those groupings (selected using up/down). As far as I have seen, turn instructions are only displayed on 1 of the ~20 screens. See page 112 in the manual.

I'm pretty sure it is displayed on any of the 'Driving Information' set of screens since those are the ones I swap between. However, out of interest, I've just been and sat in my car and started a route with different categories on display, and at least the *first* turn instruction is displayed on the instrument cluster in every category. That surprised me because I will admit I didn't expect it for the Settings display at least! 

I am talking about the display as a turn approaches, where the turn display replaces whatever is shown otherwise. Are you referring to the Driver Support System screen which may (I don't know) replace the compass with a permanent display of the upcoming turn?

20 minutes ago, Impith said:

I am talking about the display as a turn approaches, where the turn display replaces whatever is shown otherwise. Are you referring to the Driver Support System screen which may (I don't know) replace the compass with a permanent display of the upcoming turn?

Ah, perhaps the difference is I am using phone-based navigation. Perhaps that only shows on the Driver Support System screen. I'll give it a test next time.

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Mine will have the city pack with the smaller screen, does that make any difference to the nav..?

Yes.

You will have the Touch 2 Go.  The map base has high colour contrast, a route is highlighted in purple and it drops breadcrumbs, ie you can retrace your routes.  It does allow rerouting because of road works and traffic but is not as dynamic as Smart Connect.  When you enter a route you have 0.75 seconds to chose which of 3 options it suggests.  If you touch the screen as fast as you can the routes are displayed for a longer time before defaulting the the criteria you had selected, it time, distance or scenic.

The other major difference is you have to get the map update twice a year.

Smart Connect updates automatically, calculates your speed in a Specs Zone but has a poor contrast on the daylight setting.  I like to see railway lines on the display.  On Smart Connect display they are almost impossible to see.

Postcode entry on Smart Connect is the full 7 character set. 

On Either system you can use your phone maps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, when I leave the car with the keyless remote in my pocket and the car is in Park but in Ready mode, the vehicle beeps( three times I guess), and pretty loud, it looks like it's going from under the bonnet (maybe noise generator speaker) but want to know if it's another "safety feature" to let me know the car is basically ON and I'm leaving the car with keys in my pocket or something. Because When un leaving my home, I must leave the car and close the gate, but the car beeps and beeps all time, and sometimes don't know what is what. 

Thanks for the answers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobertR said:

Hi Guys, when I leave the car with the keyless remote in my pocket and the car is in Park but in Ready mode, the vehicle beeps( three times I guess), and pretty loud, it looks like it's going from under the bonnet (maybe noise generator speaker) but want to know if it's another "safety feature" to let me know the car is basically ON and I'm leaving the car with keys in my pocket or something. Because When un leaving my home, I must leave the car and close the gate, but the car beeps and beeps all time, and sometimes don't know what is what. 

Thanks for the answers.

Yes it is a safety warning.  In other situations someone could jump in and drive off, key or no key.

Interestingly, I put my key in the cubby and it said key not detected.  I also got the warning when it was on the charging shelf (not fitted).

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, RobertR said:

Yes...android auto works too. And motorized tailgate can be stopped at any position and be saved.

I tried adjusting the tailgate but found at Option 4 and 5ft 10in with a slight stoop that is too low.  Option 5, the default clears my garage door by a 100g sheet of paper 🙂

When trying this I found a 6th option which I guess is the owner variable.  It showed the figure of a person and the up/down arrows.  Not sure, and not tried, to see how it works.

• Like 1

It can be disabled at the dealer but I wouldn’t advocate it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Roy124 Just open the tailgate via keyfob and at position you want just stop the gate also via remote key and then push the close button on the door for 2 seconds to save user position. ( beep will let you know the position is saved.)

Those preset 2 to 5 positon(and one user) are useless...5th is max angle but 4th is almost half closed....what is the point of that...I don't even try rest. There is also labe to how to safe user position.

@anchorman they are charging for this kind of software modifications?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links