Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2016

JCT-DK

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

MK3 hybrid is 3 cylinders too

Is it???? I swear it has 4 cylinders!! :eek: 

• Like 2

Probably my bad.....still sounds terrible though like 3 cylinders when it's charging the traction Battery

• Like 1

It’s 4 👍 and sounds like a car, mk4 a bit like a hairdryer but once you get used to it you will probably start to enjoy it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Probably my bad.....still sounds terrible though like 3 cylinders when it's charging the traction battery. 

That's one of the few things I think the Mk4 is worse at than the Mk3 - It can sound very diesel-like sometimes :laugh: 

• Haha 1

My sarcasm detector must need calibrating

3+1=4

1NZ-FXE is a 4 cylinder, 1.5 multipoint injection as used in the prius

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can figure it out but I thought that by every cold start the petrol engine would fire up, running through the warm phases before switching to electric mode?

My car some times start in electric mode and then suddenly switches to petrol mode and back again.

Do you guys experience the same behavior?

Thanks 😀.

Nice thanks 😀.

I like to know why but I guess it’s to complicated.

I have an OBD dongle I will try to connect and watch the parameters of the ECU.

Perhaps something will show 😀.

The connection port should be below the steering rod right?

1 hour ago, JCT-DK said:

I can figure it out but I thought that by every cold start the petrol engine would fire up, running through the warm phases before switching to electric mode?

My car some times start in electric mode and then suddenly switches to petrol mode and back again.

Do you guys experience the same behavior?

Thanks 😀.

My Mk4 does that too - It seems mostly tied to ambient temperature; In winter it's 95% probable the engine will just start shortly after the car is powered on.

Right now, my Mk4 (And now the courtesy car) don't usually fire up the engine until I push the accelerator a bit too much, then it goes through its normal start-up routine.

You can sometimes stop it starting the engine by turning off the HVAC right after turning the car on (Or just having it off before you shut down the car), but you have to be very quick, and if it's too cold even that won't stop it.

If you have enough Battery power and hvac is off and you press the ev button the car will remain silent and engine won’t fire up , you can change parking spots for example or pump up your tyres but that’s it, the hybrid Battery will get low and the engine will start. I usual always have full hybrid Battery when at home and I can do all the tyres for around 10 minutes without engine started even when it’s cold down to around-4C° , anything colder the engine will kick in no matter what other options are selected. 👍

• Like 2

Great.

Thats nice to know.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1

I just bought myself some Philips XtremeVision Pro150 HB3 headlight bulbs for better light.

Would these be equivalent to HIR2?

42 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

I just bought myself some Philips XtremeVision Pro150 HB3 headlight bulbs for better light.

Would these be equivalent to HIR2?

No, HB3 (9005) is more power hungry, doesn't last as long and puts out less light than the more efficient HIR2 (9012)

the 9005 also has a larger tab

hir2-hb3-hbr-v3.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks 

I have ordered the correct ones now.

One question regarding correct use of the car.

when driving in the city I experience that the Battery capacity varies from almost full when running in EV mode to being almost empty because the petrol engine kicks in and charges the Battery. So it goes back and forth…

Would it be advisable to run the in petrol mode and getting the Battery full before running in EV mode? 

I also experience that the petrol consumption is quiet high when going from EV mode to petrol mode.

I guess due to the charging process while propelling the car forward.

Just let the car do its thing, you will learn to drive it the hybrid way before too soon. 

• Like 1

As I approach the 100.000 km stand I would ask if it would be advisable to change the transmission fluid?

I am anyway going to have a service in October.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

As I approach the 100.000 km stand I would ask if it would be advisable to change the transmission fluid?

I am anyway going to have a service in October.

Thanks!

Hi, 

I would say yes, it’s a good time to check and replace transmission fluid.
Only use original Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid bought from authorised dealer. It’s drain and refill service, no filters or gaskets needed. Perhaps you can replace the drain and refill plugs washers. If you diy make sure you have the right tools, and start from undoing the fill plug first.
 You will need a breaker bar 40cm + length , 10mm hex key and 24mm hex socket. When refit the plugs do not over tighten them, use torque wrench and to the specs. 40Nm. Put back in exact amount of oil and do not overfill. 
Good luck. 

Great thanks!

i can’t do it myself but I will ask the dealer to do it for me.

Anything else or would it be covered by the regular service?

One question regarding the AC.

When I press Dual shouldn’t it control both sides?

At mine it doesn’t. What do I do wrong?

2 hours ago, JCT-DK said:

Great thanks!

i can’t do it myself but I will ask the dealer to do it for me.

Anything else or would it be covered by the regular service?

Ac regas and spark plugs change at 60k miles in addition to the regular oil and filter service. Air filter check and change if necessary together with cabin filter. And brake fluid change also a good idea at this age. Dealer is a good place as they should know how and use original parts and fluids, something important to maintain Toyota reliability. 

• Like 1

Does "Dual" not split it off into two zones? I seem to remember my Avensis working something like that.

• Like 2

Yeah, if dual is on, the left and right side have independent temperature controls. Bit of a gimmick in a yaris tho' imho :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links