Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid 2016

JCT-DK

46 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

Regarding use of AC.

I mostly drive with open windows especially during summer time to ventilate the cabin room. The AC remains off.

Only when I start sweating and no air is cooling I close the windows and start the AC. I regular it manually.

I turn the AC off 5-10 min before reaching my home.

Should I always turn on the HVAC (no AC) to ventilate the system regardless of open windows or not?

Any comments on my use of the AC?

Thanks!

AC in summer times and when outside air temperature is above 18C° let say should be alway ON and hvac alway ON either in manual or auto mode as per your preferences. But AC in summer is highly recommended because it cools down not only the cabin but also the hybrid Battery. Regular regas will make it work at optimum performance and efficiency and helps pro long the life of the system. 

So Open windows are not enough to cool down the cabin and HV Battery in particular even at high summer temperatures?

Should I close the windows when operating the AC?

45 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

So Open windows are not enough to cool down the cabin and HV battery in particular even at high summer temperatures?

Should I close the windows when operating the AC?

Yes, you can keep them open for a few minutes when jump in the car and before you stop and park but during the journeys windows shut and AC ON, perhaps the best is to set in auto mode hvac with ac on and set whatever temperature you like , the system will take care of everything. Driving mode in Normal is a better option too. 👍

Great Tony thanks for all the good advices.

Grateful for all the help I get.

23 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

Great Tony thanks for all the good advices.

Grateful for all the help I get.

You are welcome 

Hybrid hardly use much fuel when using ac compared to non hybrid. With the very hot weather make yourself comfortable. Only when the weather isn't too hot then I prefer the window open. 

So I guess you turn off the AC when having opened windows?

• Like 1

AC increases fuel consumption but very little and particularly when driving in town because the car uses the engine more than if AC is off, the ac drains energy from the hybrid Battery and slightly reduces the total ev time . 
Windows open or close AC ON all the time. The idea is set and forget.
Hvac in auto mode , ac on and you are good to go. Open , close windows keep ac on, and no need to switch ac off 5 min prior to you leaving the car parked or when you start the car on your return. These are recommended actions when you use ac once in a while, in summer time when you gonna use ac everyday just keep it on all the time.
The trick with the windows down actually helps refresh the cabin and also let the hot air out at the beginning of your journey. I always do that. 👍

I also do another trick, if the car been parked under the sun for the whole day and I need to drive in the evening, I open wide all doors and the boot for 5 min before I start the car and all hot air that been locked inside during the day it’s gone and the hvac will cool down easier and quicker. 

Here is what I do (and please correct me if it’s wrong):

By leaving home I start with hvac off ac off, windows half open until I reach the highway 5 min later, then I drive 55 km with ac on and closed windows, sometimes though with half open windows if the ambient temperature is let’s say 15-16 degrees Celsius in the morning, by leaving the highway I switch off the ac and drive 5 min with open windows until I reach the office.

when leaving the office in the afternoon at let’s say 25 degrees Celsius I  open the doors and let the heat escape and drive all the way with ac on until I leave the highway 5 min prior to parking the car at home, the last bit of driving I switch off the ac and open the windows.

I don’t turn on the hvac at any time when ac is off.

so this is how I do it 😀.

23 hours ago, JCT-DK said:

Here is what I do (and please correct me if it’s wrong):

By leaving home I start with hvac off ac off, windows half open until I reach the highway 5 min later, then I drive 55 km with ac on and closed windows, sometimes though with half open windows if the ambient temperature is let’s say 15-16 degrees Celsius in the morning, by leaving the highway I switch off the ac and drive 5 min with open windows until I reach the office.

when leaving the office in the afternoon at let’s say 25 degrees Celsius I  open the doors and let the heat escape and drive all the way with ac on until I leave the highway 5 min prior to parking the car at home, the last bit of driving I switch off the ac and open the windows.

I don’t turn on the hvac at any time when ac is off.

so this is how I do it 😀.

That’s not necessary.
All you need to do is set the hvac let say at 22C° AC ON and in Auto mode. No need to do anything anymore and if you preferred open and close windows as you like and if too cold or too hot you can adjust temperature a bit up or down. No need to switch off hvac at all all year around. Every time you start the car the hvac will start too and it will do its functions. No point of playing with it. 

You are of course right and I guess I am not using the system in the intended way.

But would it be okay to do it the way I am doing it or preferring it and not !Removed! the up the system?

Damaging the system 😀

I am certainly aware of the cooling of the cabin to keep the HV Battery in good shape. 

And the need of using the AC on regular basis to extend it’s life and having it looked over every 4-5 years.

Don't worry, there is no 'set' way to use it - Just do as you see fit.

I just leave the door open a bit longer to give the hot air inside a chance to vent, then get in the car, while my friend likes to open all the windows because he can do that via his key fob and likes to show off :laugh: .

Once in the car we just start and let the HVAC take care of it - In a car with climate control, the easiest thing to do is leave the HVAC and AC on all the time, and just set the temperature to what you find comfortable and let the system sort it out.

I still find it a bit weird to get used to, as I'm used to manual HVAC controls and kinda prefer the flexibility that provides over climate control, but climate control systems are very much set-and-forget. (In my old cars, I'd always be adjusting the temperature dial, AC and fanspeed throughout the year, but in my Mk4 it just gets set to 20-23C. I don't think I've even touched any of the other buttons!?? :laugh: )

• Like 1

Sure from what I read the smartest and best way just is to leave the hvac+ac on all the time and let it control the ventilation.

But I still want to be able to set it manually but not in the costs if damaging anything or wearing it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does someone know why exactly the Yaris is fitted with such a bulky transmission stick when the Auris has such a little handy one?

Is it design related?

its just the design also the yaris uses a bowden cable so requires a bigger leaver to move the cable - the Auris/corolla uses an electronic shifter

Okay.

So it’s a way to keep expenses down on the Yaris?

This evening I changed parking spot and the ICE started as the Battery was down to 2 bars. 

As I stopped after 2 min for parking the ICE went into EV mode with a little shaking still with the car in D (stationary).

This was new to me so I wanted to ask around if this is normal? 

Thanks!

16 hours ago, JCT-DK said:

This was new to me so I wanted to ask around if this is normal? 

Yes. The ICE is run according to demands like power, Battery charge, heating, etc, as determined by the controller. Aside from the maximum speed limit for EV only operation (probably about 45mph/70km/h for yours) the engine can run or not regardless of the selector position. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links