Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Just some notes: 

Yesterday we drove 150 miles and almost 4 hours.  Today 2 short trips about 20 minutes each.

I just plugged in my OBD reader.  It gave battery voltage around 12.35v and SOC of 75%.  I plugged in the charger.  The SOC immediately rose to 100% and the indicated voltage began increasing towards the CTEK 14.7v setting.

I also checked my inexpensive Chinese jumper pack.  I can't remember when last I checked,  probably September  or October.  I got 4 LED which shows a capacity better than 75%

The CTEK has now reached the 13.6v float stage.   The OBD still shows SoC at 75%.  I don't know what that signifies.

1 hour ago, Dala said:

BM2 measures the voltage even after the engine is turned off and the car is locked.

They do look the business but i would be worry about a cheap box of tricks bridging the Battery terminals of my new £25,000 motor, the 12v socket on my car turns off when the ignition is switched off so peace of mind for me.

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Would a drain of 1.5 mA be something to worry about?

No, that really is low enough to be of no consequence at all.

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

would be worry about a cheap box of tricks bridging the battery terminals

Feel free to install a suitable fuse in line 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I bought one of these a week ago and it measures accurately when compared to my Multi Meter readings.

LITZEE 2 in 1 Voltmeter and Thermometer, Digital Display Car Battery  Voltage Temperature Gauge Monitor Tester Meter, DC 12V 24V

If this is plugged into the centre console socket will it not just register the dc charging voltage of the Battery?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

The CTEK has now reached the 13.6v float stage.   The OBD still shows SoC at 75%.  I don't know what that signifies.

What is it you are using to read the OBD output Roy? "SoC" normally refers to the HV Battery and not the AUX Battery... (in a Hybrid anyway)

@CPN  no idea really, just a reader, plugged it in and it read SOC and 12v Battery.

Just checked.  After a night on float charge the ODB still showed 75% and 13.76v.  Opening the door immediately dropped to 13v before recovering.   Switched off the charger and voltage dropped to 12.45v.

In doors, BM6 registering 12.46v and SOC of 78%.  As the BM6 is connected directly to the 12v Battery that suggested OBD is also reporting the Battery SOC. 

When charging the BM6 will show a 100% SOC.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chas G said:

If this is plugged into the centre console socket will it not just register the dc charging voltage of the battery?

It shows 12.2 when i turn the key to the firs position then 14.2 when the engine fires.

21 hours ago, hind said:

Feel free to install a suitable fuse in line 🙂 

I think i will pass, my little 12v socket meter tells me all i need to know 😉

12V Voltmeter Car LED Digital Volt Gauge Thermometer USB Charger Voltage Meter - Picture 3 of 15

• Thanks 1

Not very scientific using a voltmeter under the bonnet and back of a !Removed! packet.

22 Toyota Yaris Cross I monitored my average weekly use of the car:-

Fully charged Battery 12.6 volts.

3 short journeys to town (6 miles/6 starts) = -0.18 volts

2 visits to Morrisons (32 miles/4 starts) = -0.1 volts

7 nights = -0.14 volts

Total/week = -0.42 volts

Time from full 12.6 volts to needing a charge at 11.76 volts is approx 2 weeks.

For me one hour in the garage in ready mode resolves any Battery issues and allows for the odd extra short journey. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Chas G said:

For me one hour in the garage in ready mode resolves any battery issues and allows for the odd extra short journey. 

Short journeys kill.  

It is increasingly obvious that the hybrid, in contrast with an ICE with alternator, is intolerant of short trips and time in Ready mode is critical. 

• Like 4

Maybe we should organise a weekly TOC Tour to keep everyone's 12v Battery healthy, where we drive around the UK picking up TOC members in convoy, maybe loop past anch's house so he can fit Yuasa 12v batteries to everyones car without one, swing by flash22's so he can update everyone's ECU firmware, then a short hop to TonyHSD so we can try and figure out how the hell he makes his tyres last so long, then finally stop off at whichever Lindop Toyota PartsKing is at for a steak and ale pie dinner :biggrin: 

The only problem is we would need to average about 180mph to get round to everyone in time, and revive the Hoverspeed Seacat so we can get to Ireland and back quickly enough, so there may be parts of the plan that need further work... :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

My monitoring has reassured me to some degree but I will almost certainly trade it in later this year for a none hybrid car. Shame after so long with Toyota - I want a car that does what I want it to do and not what some nerd has programmed into a computer.

@cyker yuasa Battery sounds like a bigger bucket with same hole in the bottom being filled by the same piddly hose that doesn't do the job. Simply get a bit longer before the water runs out.

• Like 1

Haven't even had one fail start yet, talk about running from your own shadow. Don't think it was good for you to join this forum in the first place. Maybe get an Aygo, it's a Toyota unfortunately! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chas G said:

@cyker yuasa battery sounds like a bigger bucket with same hole in the bottom being filled by the same piddly hose that doesn't do the job. Simply get a bit longer before the water runs out.

That's what I thought originally too, but it does seem like, aside from the higher capacity, the Yuasa ones also resist partial-charge degradation much better than the mewtwo (?) ones. I was joking they were the most basic low tech type of 12v Battery compared to the higher tech AGM used in previous models, but my joke may have more truth than I intended as some people have had 3 replacements of them with low use and they've all died very quickly, but when said people switched to the Yuasa Battery, but presumably kept the same drive cycle, I haven't seen them post about it since.

They have posted about other things, so I'm fairly confident the lack of followup is because the problem hasn't come up again, and not because they've perished in some fiery battery-related incident. :laugh: 

So I'm thinking maybe the mewtwo really is a very basic lead acid Battery, while the Yuasa has more things in it to increase its longevity and resistance to degradation the OE one doesn't...?

I intend to change mine to a Yuasa too once the original goes, but mine doesn't show any sign of that happening any time soon (I do have a Noco GB20 at the ready in case I jinx myself tho' :laugh: )

• Like 2

I changed to the Yuasa after getting the car after reading  the first 70 pages of this thread.  £70 was worth the peace of mind. Chas G - a £70 spend will be worth it, especially if you will take a financial hit changing the car, and if that's the only reason to want to change (being otherwise happy with the car). 

• Like 5

As I have previously admitted, I have no experience of hybrids.

But a vote for yuasa batteries here,in general.

I have had them in motorcycles and cars, and they seem to cure a lot of electrical problems.

Dunno what witchcraft they use, but maybe just quality control, and honesty.

I bought a heavy duty Battery blue star branded, and I mean heavy, I could hardly lift it,for my Anglia van in the 70s from the blue star garages as was then.

Despite looking after it, with regular Battery hydrometer checks, and voltage checks,it got ill a couple of years later, and passed on within it's three year warranty.

Of course, the warranty was useless to a young lad like I was at the time, with no experience of pinning bullcrapers to the wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Image-1.thumb.jpeg.63d5d6e24536dbc6946ef8f69958ada3.jpeg

Lidl from 11 Jan. £45

Ultimate Speed Portable Jump Starter With Power Bank 

2-in-1: jump starter for cars as well as a powerful power bank

Direct start with a high current boost (500A / 12V) - no lengthy recharging

Protected against reverse polarity, short circuit and overload as well as being spark-proof

Modern Li-Ion technology and powerful LiFePO4 Battery

Increased efficiency - up to 90% usable Battery capacity (Compared to conventional Lithium-Ion cells with Lithium-Cobalt)(III)-Oxide (LiCoO2)

Particularly long lifespan with high cycle stability

Very low self-discharge

Capacity available in USB mode (1A / 2A outputs): 7000mAh

12V connection (max. 8A) compatible with other items (e.g. heated seat cushion)

Includes 12V adaptor, jump starter cable and 3 way USB charging cable for mobile phones and tablets with micro USB / mini USB / or USB-C connection

4 LEDs indicate charge status

Integrated LED torch with flashing function

In a convenient storage and transport bag

Jump starter suitable for petrol engines up to max. 3000cc and diesel engines up to max. 2000cc

Battery: Lithium-Ion 12V (12000mAh at 3.2V / 38.4Wh)

Integrated LED torch suitable for temperatures as low as -21°C

3-year warranty

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Totally off thread: there was a Blue Star filling station on the A1.  It was exactly one mile from the runway at RAF Cottesmore.  Many the night with ***** visibility that Blue Star shone through the murk and we landed safely.

• Like 1

My original Battery has finally given up and was down to 8 volts this morning after being stood unused for a week.  Went on the Tayna batteries website looking for the Yuasa and it's showing as out of stock so I called to check and they're not expecting a delivery until the end of February  !

Now with the cold snap it looks like the majority of suppliers are out of stock.  Amazon appears to have stock and I also found that Halfords have the Yuasa HSB202 which appears to have the same spec as the YBX5202  ? Question is , do I go with the Halfords option or go with Amazon ? Another alternative is the Varta but the spec is not quite as good as the Yuasa.

Edited by Jasper.
Mistake.
  • Sad 1

Jasper,  go by price or convenience. 

• Like 1

So I decided to go with the Yuasa option from Halfords  , £74 with a trade card...

Not the cheapest but stocks seem to be running down. 

• Like 2

For piece of mind, the Yuasa YBX5202 is a HSB202 - I don't know why it has two names, but it is the same Battery!

I will say the Halfords price isn't too bad if you use a discount card, given you get it immediately and don't have to pay shipping!

The one upside of the low-tech nature of the 12v Battery in the Mk4 is they are comparatively cheap to replace - The EFB-type Battery specced for my old Mk2 because of its stop-start system was 1.5x-2x the price! :eek: 

• Like 3

Thanks Cyker , i appreciate the feedback ..👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jthspace said:

Image-1.thumb.jpeg.63d5d6e24536dbc6946ef8f69958ada3.jpeg

Lidl from 11 Jan. £45

Ultimate Speed Portable Jump Starter With Power Bank 

2-in-1: jump starter for cars as well as a powerful power bank

Direct start with a high current boost (500A / 12V) - no lengthy recharging

Protected against reverse polarity, short circuit and overload as well as being spark-proof

Modern Li-Ion technology and powerful LiFePO4 battery

Increased efficiency - up to 90% usable battery capacity (Compared to conventional Lithium-Ion cells with Lithium-Cobalt)(III)-Oxide (LiCoO2)

Particularly long lifespan with high cycle stability

Very low self-discharge

Capacity available in USB mode (1A / 2A outputs): 7000mAh

12V connection (max. 8A) compatible with other items (e.g. heated seat cushion)

Includes 12V adaptor, jump starter cable and 3 way USB charging cable for mobile phones and tablets with micro USB / mini USB / or USB-C connection

4 LEDs indicate charge status

Integrated LED torch with flashing function

In a convenient storage and transport bag

Jump starter suitable for petrol engines up to max. 3000cc and diesel engines up to max. 2000cc

Battery: Lithium-Ion 12V (12000mAh at 3.2V / 38.4Wh)

Integrated LED torch suitable for temperatures as low as -21°C

3-year warranty

I've similar one ( Lidl ) but it integrates also a tyre compressor. 

I've used only one time as booster to start my previous car. 

Luckily I'd never had the need to test it ad booster on my Yaris, but I've used it to check my tyre pressure.  I've seen that the value indicated on its display is the same one read by TPMS sensors.   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links