Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control Installation Instructions

Speed_Chaser

As far as I know, you cannot remove only steering wheel cover like Krait said. You don't need to remove the steering wheel, but it will be more difficult to make the hole.

If you're unsure about airbag, post some pictures on this forum, and we'll try to help you out.

After removing the steering wheel you need to alight it, right. You need to draw a line to the center bolt to make sure you'll get everything in line afterwards. I had this line allready there because my steering wheel was probably removed at the dealer while installing some extras. It is not difficult to find the correct position if you have the line.

I did the same as you're going to do. I did not remove the steering wheel, that's why I messed it up and the hole was too big.

I am just asking because all my extras that I instal in my car I instal at my local dealer, but nearly always I have to tell them how to do it. I do so cause it is the only way not to loose th warranty. I have installed the oem DVD navigation coming from the auris hybrid(b9030), the auto diming mirror. Now it's time for the CC and in couple of weeks for the Rear view camera. If someone has questions regarding things that I have already installed - do not hesitate to ask.

Hey Speed Chaser,

I did not realise that you started this topic. And that is what got me fixed on fitting the CC. So thannks very much for your starters and all the remaining posts in this topic.

I cut the hole with a Stanley knife and had to clean it up with some sandpaper. Then I bought some some black fabric that has an adhesive on the back which you iron on to a garment to repair it. I cut this fabric to cover the hole and then made a hole in it and cut some slits in the hole to allow it to expand. And then I heated it with a soldering iron to melt the glue and fix it to the outside of the hole. Looks just like the real thing and minimal cost too.

I have attached some photos that I copied from other posts and these will show you the position of the hole and the approximate size of it. Note that the hole is much smaller than the markings on the plastic.

I hope this helps TomPL.

post-104882-0-03150300-1318718317_thumb.

post-104882-0-18388600-1318718401_thumb.

post-104882-0-38514000-1318718448_thumb.

Wow. The hole on the last photo looks Awesome. Did he do this only with this drill?

No he was very meticulous and used a stepped drill to make a round hole and then a small grinding wheel to elongate the hole and then emery paper to smooth it all out.

Yesterday I looked through every post on this topic (all 17 pages) and could not find the original post. I attached the pictures that I downloaded and saved.

Check the remainders.

post-104882-0-65267500-1318745996_thumb.

post-104882-0-07327600-1318746281_thumb.

post-104882-0-50424200-1318746409_thumb.

post-104882-0-27955600-1318746502_thumb.

Krait, thanks for the appreciation :)

I don't think that smaller hole is what TOM needs in his situation... He's going to install cover that he bought from his dealer, and it won't fit unless the hole is same size as the markings on the plastic!

I did consider buying a new cover with the hole already drilled as this seemed to be the cleanest solution. However, when I dug further it appeared that I would have to remove the steering wheel complete to to remove the old cover and fit the new one. And that would mean removal of the airbag. And,to me, that would be suicidal (too much risk in things going wrong). So I decided to make the hole myself in the existing cover.

SpeedChaser, is it possible to remove old and fit a new cover without risk of airbag problems? If not then TomPL has the correct solution. But, as you say, he will have a huge problem aligning the hole with the shaft of the Cruise control. My biggest problem was marking the hole in the centre of the CC shaft.

Good luck with that.

However, this was the best, easiest and cheapest upgrade I have done.

Cheers

I thought to Tell the truth that No matter how I cut the wole, the CC cover will hide all imperfections. Isnt it true?

Krait, removing the airbag is completely safe. You just need to be calm and not throw it around. Guys on this forum gave me these advices. BTW, while installing the CC, you need to remove the airbag anyway in order to connect the cable, isn't that right? How come you did not need to remove it because you chose to drill the hole instead of installing new cover?

Tom, you're completely right my friend! Unless you'll make too big hole... Cover will hide some of the imperfections, but the hole needs to be approximately of a correct size for the cover to fit in there and on the other hand to cover the edges!

Maybe I am making a mistake in knowing what TomPL means by the "COVER." Is this the lower steering wheel cover into which the hole must be drilled? Or is this a fabric which covers the hole and lets the shaft of the CC through it. And thus hides the hole from view?

If it the fabric or rubber cover, then I have been on the wrong track all along and I apologise. I thought he was talking about the lower cover of the steeering wheel into which the hole must be drilled.

Sorry mate.

What I meant is, the plastic CC cover with a hole in the middle made of fabric. This is it:

COVER, STEERING WHEEL, NO.2 45186-02130-B0 (price $3)

diag_2pEoB4.png

I realise that now. Thanks.

The fabric that I used to disguise the shaft of the CC was 60x40mm and I made the cutout in this piece.

How does the rubber cover attach to the plastic? Adhesive?

Should be a piece of cake and maybe I should have purchased this cover. It would look better than my cover and probably last longer.

Well when you buy this 45186-02130-B0, the fabric is already attached to the plastic I think. I am now around 250km (around 140-150miles) from my hometown where my dealership is placed, so I do not have access to this cover. I will be installing the CC on 10/28/2011 at 12.00, so around 12.15 I will post a photo of this cover.

Yes, there is rubber covering the hole so that there's just enough space for the switch to get through. Cover has small hooks. When you push the cover into the hole, the hooks will attach to the inside and prevent the cover from popping out.

hi ...

im from portugal, and i have a auris d4d 1.4 diesel 2010, do you know if i can now install the cruis control to this car ?

Thank You

Carlos Miranda

So as I said, I installed the CC. Works great. I will post some photos tomorrow.

About the installation:

1) we had to remove the steering wheel

2) then we decided to make the whole with the drill

3) then we made the whole be exactly as the lines show using the knife

4) then we installed the CC cover - it did not look perfectly, but looks much better than any of the installations on this forum

5)I will post photos tomorrow

So this is how the car looks, after removing the steering wheel:

photo17w.jpg

This is how the installed CC looks. We made many φ2 mm wholes with the drill along the line on the steering wheel, then we made the whole look better with a very sharp knife. You need to be very precise. The CC cover won't hide any imperfecions, any!!! Look at my photo, it isn't perfect, but I think the best you have seen on this forum.

photo16uh.jpg

Any questions?

Great job Tom! Awesome pics too :) I've got a bit different cover I think. It does hide some of the imperfections... Will try and make a pic for comparsion.

Hello.

I'm from Russia and sorry for my English.

I see you have the same problem with the engine 1ND-TV(1.4 diesel D-4D) as I have and no one has decided to

Have any news on the installation of the cruise in the engine 1ND-TV(1.4 diesel D-4D)?

Separate hi Speed_Chaser :)

Evgen.

Privet privet (=hi, in case someone doesn't know) :)

Hope you will find your answers my friend!

Hello my friend! Where else would have met :D

Unfortunately there is not :( . Probably be the most open wheel, but we must first find the key

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, I checked, and I've got same part as you do. For some reason I thought I had something different there...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links