Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Clean An Auris T180 / Sr180 Egr Valve, This Could Be A Good Ide

Rick D4D

The symptoms.

The MPG is disgraceful this time last year we was averaging no less than 38mpg over a tank and around 42-45mpg when driven on a run with cruise control set at 70mph. Over Christmas we did approx 1500miles and have managed best on a run +4oc 31mpg driving with cruise control set at 70mph, when it was cold we was down to 21mpg and have now risen to around 30mpg driving like your gran going to church. These figures are a long way short of the figures that Toyota quote and of what we was achieving this time last year with similar temperatures, it may be worth noting the car makes a pinking sound at around 1800-2300rpm if you put your foot down and there is a small delay / flat spot in throttle response (not turbo lag) when you press the accelerator, I suspect this is the fly by wire throttle system but is it supposed to have a delay?

How to clean, I did have to borrow a few pictures as I had cleaned mine by the time I made this thread.

1. Remove the engine cover, this just pulls up and unclips.

1.jpg

2. Now you can see the EGR Valve, you will need a 12mm socket, Ratchet and extension to remove this.

2.jpg

3. Remove these 2 x bolts 1st for the pipe above the EGR valve.

3.jpg

4. Now undo the other 4 x 12mm nuts and bolts from the EGR valve and unplug this from the wiring loom, this can now be removed.

4.jpg

5. This is now what you will find.

Dirty manifold with 2 x blocked breathing holes.

5.jpg

Dirty EGR valve with restricted air flow.

6.jpg

6. I cleaned these using an old toothbrush, small screw driver, carburettor cleaner, old cloth and a dyson cleaner to suck the muck out. Try to scrape and brush out the thick carbon then use the carburettor cleaner to clean the finish this off.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now once all this is cleaned out just simply refit, This took me a total of 15 minutes so I assure you this is very easy.

The results

This will vary for everyone but in my experience I did a 360mile round trip the next day with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, going there (more downhill) the roads where very very wet with poor visibility and approx 7oc and we averaged 41.1MPG by the time we got there. When we come home with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, slightly uphill most of the way the roads where dry and approx 3oc the average MPG had dropped to 40.0. When I filled up we got 37.4litres in the tank which I rounded up to 38 and worked out at 43MPG (I always brim the tank). This is now showing a big improvement / approx 20% for a 15minute job of cleaning the EGR valve. I will also note the slight flat spots in throttle response are a lot less than before.

I would like to say a big thank you to cabcurtains for bringing the EGR valve to my attention and to twingo69 as I borrowed a few pictures from his thread to make this guide.

UPDATE

Ok it has been nearly 5 months and around 4k since I did this do this morning I thought I would check the EGR valve. To be honest the manifold was very very clean maybe a small less than 1mm coating of carbon and the EGR valve had a little more, I did clean this again while it was removed but in my opinion looking at what I seen today I would recommend cleaning this around every 12months or 10k.

Edit 1st post so now has Dave's hosted pictures and the thread makes sense. Would like to also say thanks again to Dave.

• Like 2

The symptoms.

The MPG is disgraceful this time last year we was averaging no less than 38mpg over a tank and around 42-45mpg when driven on a run with cruise control set at 70mph. Over Christmas we did approx 1500miles and have managed best on a run +4oc 31mpg driving with cruise control set at 70mph, when it was cold we was down to 21mpg and have now risen to around 30mpg driving like your gran going to church. These figures are a long way short of the figures that Toyota quote and of what we was achieving this time last year with similar temperatures, it may be worth noting the car makes a pinking sound at around 1800-2300rpm if you put your foot down and there is a small delay / flat spot in throttle response (not turbo lag) when you press the accelerator, I suspect this is the fly by wire throttle system but is it supposed to have a delay?

How to clean, I did have to borrow a few pictures as I had cleaned mine by the time I made this thread.

1. Remove the engine cover, this just pulls up and unclips.

1.jpg

2. Now you can see the EGR Valve, you will need a 12mm socket, Ratchet and extension to remove this.

2.jpg

3. Remove these 2 x bolts 1st for the pipe above the EGR valve.

3.jpg

4. Now undo the other 4 x 12mm nuts and bolts from the EGR valve and unplug this from the wiring loom, this can now be removed.

4.jpg

5. This is now what you will find.

Dirty manifold with 2 x blocked breathing holes.

5.jpg

Dirty EGR valve with restricted air flow.

6.jpg

6. I cleaned these using an old toothbrush, small screw driver, carburettor cleaner, old cloth and a dyson cleaner to suck the muck out. Try to scrape and brush out the thick carbon then use the carburettor cleaner to clean the finish this off.

7.jpg

8.jpg

Now once all this is cleaned out just simply refit, This took me a total of 15 minutes so I assure you this is very easy.

The results

This will vary for everyone but in my experience I did a 360mile round trip the next day with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, going there (more downhill) the roads where very very wet with poor visibility and approx 7oc and we averaged 41.1MPG by the time we got there. When we come home with mainly cruise control set at 70mph, slightly uphill most of the way the roads where dry and approx 3oc the average MPG had dropped to 40.0. When I filled up we got 37.4litres in the tank which I rounded up to 38 and worked out at 43MPG (I always brim the tank). This is now showing a big improvement / approx 20% for a 15minute job of cleaning the EGR valve. I will also note the slight flat spots in throttle response are a lot less than before.

I would like to say a big thank you to cabcurtains for bringing the EGR valve to my attention and to twingo69 as I borrowed a few pictures from his thread to make this guide.

UPDATE

Ok it has been nearly 5 months and around 4k since I did this do this morning I thought I would check the EGR valve. To be honest the manifold was very very clean maybe a small less than 1mm coating of carbon and the EGR valve had a little more, I did clean this again while it was removed but in my opinion looking at what I seen today I would recommend cleaning this around every 12months or 10k.

Edit 1st post so now has Dave's hosted pictures and the thread makes sense. Would like to also say thanks again to Dave.

ive got a petrol auris myself,but have been following the threads on the EGR valve problems which is common to to all brands that have them,but notice that the EGR housing is described as a manifold.thats fair enough,

but does anyone bother to check their INLET manifold for carbon build up.maybe not, as it it could be awkward to remove.but you can bet if the EGR housing is well coked up,then the INLET manifold will have its fair share.

the EGR housing/manifold is not the ideal shape for easy gas flow as some other manufactures that are cylindrical.

plus the casting inside the housing cant be described as very smooth,easely trapping any carbon.

• Like 1

A small film of grease caused by the turbo possibly but would hope there isnt too much carbon. Not having much idea how the diesels work does the egr feed straight back into the intake or is it put past a filter?

Can anyone tell me what the correct torque settings for the nuts/bolts are when reassembling.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me what the correct torque settings for the nuts/bolts are when reassembling.

Thanks

24 Nm or 18 lbf-ft

Thanks

24 Nm or 18 lbf-ft

Ok thanks for the information

• 5 weeks later...

Thats great :) I am just glad my guide was of help and this is the reason I went to this trouble of making the guide.

Thanks a lot Rick This is a great Post which will benefit many Toyota Owners and prevent them being ripped off by Mr T

The photographs have shown what a doddle it is to clean the EGR and revive the engine to it's former self

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Just cleaned my EGR valve for the second time. Did it first back last year beginning of Feb. Now 22,944 miles later it needs doing again. I'm not gonna post any more pics as it looks the same as all the other pics. Blocked.

Looks like I'm gonna have to incorporate this into my yearly service.

It has been a while but If there is a gasket under the valve connection it might be a good idea to replace that too the next time you clean the valve.

It has been a while but If there is a gasket under the valve connection it might be a good idea to replace that too the next time you clean the valve.

Not sure which one you mean. When I strip it there are 3 baskets. All metal. I thought these were re-useable. But if you're on about the electrical bit attached to the housing with 3 Allen bolts, then I have yet to seperate this as they are seized. Or at least blooming tight. I'm worried i'll damage something by using too much force.

My Auris is a 2.0 d4-d from 2007 with 26500 KM. Ever since I bought the car it was suffering from a flat spot / response delay while pushing the accelerator very hard. It happens around 2300 - 2500 RPM. The toyo dealer already regenerated the DPF. After that, the delay was less, but far from gone.

After reading this post, I'd give it a try to clean the EGR valve. I'm far from a car technican, but the manual is outstanding. The views are exact the same as on my 2.0.

The EGR manifold was dirty as hell. The 2 holes were still visible, but there was a lot of carbon in it, so they were restricted for more than 50%. After cleaning with carb. cleaner the car wouldn't start the first time. After a small drive I noticed the flat spots / delays while accelerating are not complete gone, but much much less. The engine is more agressive, and reacts faster on the accelerator.

I think I'll give the EGR a clean every 15000 KM.

Rick D4-D: thanks for the manual. Excellent work!! I'm much more satisfied now with the less delays while accelerating !

My Auris is a 2.0 d4-d from 2007 with 26500 KM. Ever since I bought the car it was suffering from a flat spot / response delay while pushing the accelerator very hard. It happens around 2300 - 2500 RPM. The toyo dealer already regenerated the DPF. After that, the delay was less, but far from gone.

After reading this post, I'd give it a try to clean the EGR valve. I'm far from a car technican, but the manual is outstanding. The views are exact the same as on my 2.0.

The EGR manifold was dirty as hell. The 2 holes were still visible, but there was a lot of carbon in it, so they were resticted for more than 50%. After cleaning with carb. cleaner the car wouldn't start the first time. After a small drive I noticed the flat spots / delays while accelerating are not complete gone, but much much less. The engine is more agressive, and reacts faster on the accelerator.

Rick D4-D: thanks for the manual. Excellent work!! I'm much more satisfied now with the less delays while accelerating !

I didn't think the 2.0 has DPF?

Great post Rick. I will be doing My one in the next few days .... Thanks Mate !!!!

Charlie.

The EGR manifold was dirty as hell. The 2 holes were still visible, but there was a lot of carbon in it, so they were restricted for more than 50%. After cleaning with carb. cleaner the car wouldn't start the first time. After a small drive I noticed the flat spots / delays while accelerating are not complete gone, but much much less. The engine is more agressive, and reacts faster on the accelerator.

Try running some BG244 in the fuel. I bet those "Flat spots" will soon go! :thumbsup:

Try running some BG244 in the fuel. I bet those "Flat spots" will soon go! :thumbsup:

Is this the same stuff such as Forté Advanced Diesel Fuel Conditioner? I've already tried this one. There were no differences at all. Or is this one better?

Is this the same stuff such as Forté Advanced Diesel Fuel Conditioner? I've already tried this one. There were no differences at all. Or is this one better?

No its different and much better. I've used Forte but its not a patch on the BG244.

No its different and much better. I've used Forte but its not a patch on the BG244.

OK, thanks. Too bad I cannot order this stuff in the Netherlands. Try to find a way to get this from UK.

my egr was never cleaned 133500 miles and no low down power there would be no pick up until i hit 2000rpm and then it would pick up. I was told my egr was gone or needed a good clean. I was recommended to try a can of bg244 to sort it. This stuff is amazing with in 30+ miles i noticed it working picks up straight away now less changing down the gears now. I took off the egr after i use the bg244 it was pretty clean no built up sott.. i highly recommend using this bg244 for clean injectors and egr and good mpg..

OK, thanks. Too bad I cannot order this stuff in the Netherlands. Try to find a way to get this from UK.

Just ordered 2 cans of BG244 from www.powerenhancer.co.uk. Shipping to the Netherlands and VAT are almost more expensive than the 2 cans....

But after reading the reviews on the web it must be worth every euro! I hope to say goodbye to the flat spots while accelerating very strong???!!!

Just ordered 2 cans of BG244 from www.powerenhancer.co.uk. Shipping to the Netherlands and VAT are almost more expensive than the 2 cans....

But after reading the reviews on the web it must be worth every euro! I hope to say goodbye to the flat spots while accelerating very strong???!!!

let us know how you get on with treatment.

I just finished reading the info: on the website and I'm now intrigued. I have an oil change and MOT due next week so I may POP some in the tank also.

I just finished reading the info: on the website and I'm now intrigued. I have an oil change and MOT due next week so I may POP some in the tank also.

I think you'll be very happy with the results. But try and but it in at least 3 days befor the MOT so it has time to work. Unless your out and about in the car a bit to get some miles done to run it through. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think you'll be very happy with the results. But try and but it in at least 3 days befor the MOT so it has time to work. Unless your out and about in the car a bit to get some miles done to run it through. :thumbsup:

Well my 2 cans of BG244 has turned up and I've put one can in. MOT booked for next Tuesday so should be able to go through a tank by then.

Hopefully this will help with my emissions and bad cold starting problems......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links