Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah it's pretty insane... I can't even think what the cause is this time!!

I was very lucky as I impulse-filled at a Sainsburys in Watford for 143.9, and the next day it was 147.9!

Round here it's 149.9-152.9 for the supermarkets and 154+ for the oil companies.

Last time I went through Watford I had to show a passport and change money.

I read recently that oil prices were edging towards $100 a barrel though.

Of course, I realise that here most of the price consists of tax, duty and then vat on top.

A tax on the tax.

I suppose that the only answer is to recycle used cooking oil into bio diesel like a pal in Yorkshire used to do, with a big tank and chemicals/scrubbers.

McDonald's does it according to the blurb on the side of the wagons,so unless the deliveries to the McDonald's in the ulez zone are done with electric scooters, that must be ok then.

Edited by Rhymes with Paris
Complete post
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Last time I we

Is." I we" a few times a day.😂

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Bper said:

Is." I we" a few times a day.😂

Aye Bob, phone keyboard faster than my old fingers, corrected now.

• Haha 3

Petrol in local Morrisons up from 161.9p to 162.9p. Petrol has now risen 4 months in a row.This is continually going in the wrong direction.The RAC said increased fuel costs were being driven by higher global oil prices, but it also claimed that petrol was being "overpriced".

• Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Bper said:

Petrol in local Morrisons up from 161.9p to 162.9p. Petrol has now risen 4 months in a row.This is continually going in the wrong direction.The RAC said increased fuel costs were being driven by higher global oil prices, but it also claimed that petrol was being "overpriced".

On Sunday fill up at Apple green 154.7, we are being robbed. Your area more so....

Spent more than £50 filling the Yaris 36L tank, first time since last year spent this much when fuel price were about 175p. 

• Like 3

I paid 152.9p per litre when I filled up yesterday.

• Like 3

Are retailers making increases to protect their profit margins due to the savings to the motorist by EVs and hybrids. Yesterday, on a round trip (two journeys which were mainly on M1) my 1.8 C-HR hybrid recorded more than 60 mpg for both journeys - and both at busy times.

• Like 3

I don't know about retailers, but according to the news, that's exactly what OPEC have been doing - They've been deliberately restricting supply to push the prices up, to make up for the losses caused by EVs and highly efficient cars like hybrids.

If true, they're just going to accelerate their own downfall by pushing people toward EVs faster.

I do wonder what all these oil nations are going to do - Practically all their wealth is from oil; As soon as that goes they're going to be absolutely screwed.

• Like 4

My supplier charges as little as 3p/mile for EV, they say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I don't know about retailers, but according to the news, that's exactly what OPEC have been doing - They've been deliberately restricting supply to push the prices up, to make up for the losses caused by EVs and highly efficient cars like hybrids.

If true, they're just going to accelerate their own downfall by pushing people toward EVs faster.

I do wonder what all these oil nations are going to do - Practically all their wealth is from oil; As soon as that goes they're going to be absolutely screwed.

For many years the oil producers have been investing in alternative energies along with having vast property portfolios around the world. They are major shareholders in some of the world's largest global companies.

They have known for many years that oil production would decline so no doubt have been looking at alternatives for long term wealth creation.

They have access to incredible wealth and this obviously has brought the top advice and people to achieve this long term change.

They are probably more concerned at the political instability in neighbouring countries once the oil is no longer the commodity it once was.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

They’ll probably follow the trend of the countries trying to claim reparation due to the effects of the long-gone slave trade - accusing the western nations of frittering away all their oil.  By that time the Oil Barons, with all their wealth, will have moved on to pastures new.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

They’ll probably follow the trend of the countries trying to claim reparation due to the effects of the long-gone slave trade - accusing the western nations of frittering away all their oil.  By that time the Oil Barons, with all their wealth, will have moved on to pastures new.

Saudi Arabia was under the control of the Ottoman empire from 1517-1918 and slavery was only abolished in 1962 when eventually it became an independent nation. It became international known as a slave center. So it would be a bit rich for them to claim reparations.

Nothing would suprise me if they do try to claim that all the western nations, as you say frittered away the oil and say it is your westernised culture and consumer greed that has led to this.

Now my new jumbo jet is dirty get me another😂

• Like 3

Local Morrisons must have had a good sales day as they dropped the petrol price from 162.9p to 160.9p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

£161.9 at a local rip off Euro garage last week, didn't put much in, got caught out on a journey I wasnt planning on 

• Like 1

Out on a drive yesterday and only 8 miles away a Shell garage price 151.9p but the Local Morrisons 160.9p. I topped the car up and saved a few pennies. But it goes to show how different prices are from area to area.😭

3 hours ago, Bper said:

Out on a drive yesterday and only 8 miles away a Shell garage price 151.9p but the Local Morrisons 160.9p. I topped the car up and saved a few pennies. But it goes to show how different prices are from area to area.😭

My local Morrisons is 152.9

• Like 1

I have often thought that the supermarkets were the worst for ripping off the motorist, because they must buy in huge bulk which should give them the best chance of getting good discounts.

But other factors can be at work - for example, if they order large quantities of fuel well in advance, with the price fixed, and then the crude oil price drops significantly, this has made me wonder whether the supermarkets get caught out and just have to charge a higher price at the pumps than appears necessary.

On the other hand, I still have suspicions.  For example: Tesco’s own brand of canned petit pois and baby carrots used to be about 40p.  Then, some time ago it rose to 80p, which my wife said was a rip-off.  This week, looking on the shelf, it had gone up yet again to 120p.  My wife was fuming - she said not to buy and we would find an alternative.  

• Like 1

Albert,

This was a reply I had from Morrisons that I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding why they are altering their petrol prices on an almost daily basis. If you can make sense on what a daily fuel rate is then please let me know.

24 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

I have often thought that the supermarkets were the worst for ripping off the motorist, because they must buy in huge bulk which should give them the best chance of getting good discounts.

But other factors can be at work - for example, if they order large quantities of fuel well in advance, with the price fixed, and then the crude oil price drops significantly, this has made me wonder whether the supermarkets get caught out and just have to charge a higher price at the pumps than appears necessary.

On the other hand, I still have suspicions.  For example: Tesco’s own brand of canned petit pois and baby carrots used to be about 40p.  Then, some time ago it rose to 80p, which my wife said was a rip-off.  This week, looking on the shelf, it had gone up yet again to 120p.  My wife was fuming - she said not to buy and we would find an alternative.  

Hi Albert ,this was a response I got from Morrisons that I posted on here a few weeks ago. If you can make sense of what a daily fuel rate is please let me know.

In the UK petrol prices vary from town to town and even neighbourhood to neighbourhood and we will always strive to be competitive in each local area. Also even the price in a specific petrol station can differ on a daily basis which is solely dependant on the fuel rate on that day. We continually review our prices and will look to reduce this difference as soon as we can.
In the UK petrol prices vary from town to town and even neighbourhood to neighbourhood and we will always strive to be competitive in each local area. Also even the price in a specific petrol station can differ on a daily basis which is solely dependant on the fuel rate on that day. We continually review our prices and will look to reduce this difference as soon as we can.☹️

Puzzles me too, Bob.  It could only make some sense if the fuel was bought, and delivered, on a daily basis.  The supermarkets, and other fuel stations, will only amend their prices downwards if it can benefit them in pinching a few extra customers from the competition.

My late father-in-law was a garage proprietor and operated a few petrol pumps.  The profit margins were frugal, and he moved his fuel operation from Mobil (can’t remember his new choice), because Mobil changed the corporate image of their pumps, and the garage operator was required to pay for the conversion.

I think it probably still is a ‘dog-eat-dog’ situation between retailers and the oil companies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went pass nearest Asda yesterday @148.7, didn't need any. Looked up Tomtom app on my phone, within 8 miles, a Texaco had 147.9.

• Like 1

Annoyingly my local Sainsburys has gone up to 153.9; Apparently there's one in Watford that's 148.9, and one in Hemel Hempstead that's 143.9!

Hmm... maybe I need a spreadsheet to calculate the cost/benefit analysis.... :book: :nerd: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I generally apply the recommended procedures to gain maximum advantage with my C-HR hybrid, and get that warm feeling when I switch off and see that EV reading of around 50% and petrol mpg in the upper 60’s.  It’s nice to think you are, to some degree, outwitting the oil people.

• Like 3

I drove up from Southampton today.  Shell stations varied from 159.9 to 169.9

We refuelled on the A43 north of Northampton at the Shell Red House filling station station £148.7

Now tell me some filling stations don't make excess profits.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links