Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

Roy, I believe some of the variations in price can be down to  how a fuel station pays for the fuel, and the volume of fuel bunked at any one time.

Many years ago we had oil-fired central heating.  I had a 600-gallon tank behind my garage, and used to take 500 gallon drops at a time. My refuelling usually came at roughly 3 times over a 2-year period.  

A 500 gallon drop was 6p/gallon - less than this was about 8p or 9p/gallon.  The company, Bayglow Fuels, once rang me to ask if I needed fuel.  I checked the tank level and told them I could only take 350 gallons max at that time.  They said that as they would be in my area, they would deliver me 350 gallons at the 500 gallon rate.   So it is easy to see where variations can occur.

• Like 2

Albert, I take your point, my daughter organised a village delivery for that reason.

In small village pumps serving a village that is also true.

However in mainstream filling stations I disagree.  My cheap Shell station has an obvious high turn over.  The greater footfall also may increase incidental sales. 

Other stations on major roads price to compete amongst the from people who probably don't foot the bill.  If they dropped their price by 10% they would benefit from greater utilisation.

Coming into town we have supermarkets edging prices towards the majors and majors pushing theirs down to meet but this does not get reflected in the next town.

• Like 1

Local Morrisons down from 160.9p to 156.9p the biggest drop,wonder why🤨

• Like 1

Been a bit weird here - Of my 3 locals, Sainsburys dropped from 153.9 to 150.9, Morrisons gone up to 154.9, Tescos stayed at 153!

Of my silly round trip Sainsburys, Hemel Hempstead gone from 143.9 to 146.9 I think, haven't passed Watford so not sure if they're still 147.9...

Abridge Shell still under construction...

• Like 1

One of my go-to Shell at Louth, low prices for a long time had a 4p premium during the summer.  Yesterday down to 148.9 and back in favour 😀

• Like 2

I am not sure if the place I normally use has a problem with the pricing display board, but petrol has been stuck at €1.859 for about three weeks! At todays rate, that equates to £1.62 per litre.

• Like 2

Local Morrisons dropped their price on Saturday from 160.9p to 156.9p, today 155.9p.It seems petrol prices are dropping for some reason. 😀

• Like 1

Morrisons here is showing this price on the Tomtom app on my phone: (Bob you are still being robbed up Norfolk. Sad to say, will probably always be robbed) £2.16 extra on a 30L fill up. 

Screenshot_2023-11-01-21-40-56-581_com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.thumb.jpg.3195653857918617354958e45481e4f7.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mojo,

You are not wrong , the difference in fuel prices around Norfolk can be vastly different. Many people we have spoken to have asked the same question.

What we notice is how the Local Supermarkets who sell petrol take advantage especially when they know that people will have to travel many miles to fill up at lower prices.

It's the almost daily raising and lowering of petrol prices that is hard to understand. An email I sent to the Local Morrisons to ask why, was answered with "this due to the daily fuel rate". So if you can make sense of what and why this is good luck and let me know.👍

• Like 1

Hi Bob.  To my mind, “daily fuel rate” means what other stations are charging on any particular day.  It can’t mean the rate charged by the oil companies, unless the retailers were actually buying fuel on the day.

A few days ago, at our Sainsbury’s till, I got a voucher for 6p off per litre.  That’s good, I thought, until I looked closer and saw that I had to spend £120 min in store to qualify.  Voucher joined rest of recycling guff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's a lot to do with profit really. They were making up the shortfall of consumer spending in the shops due to inflation. 

• Like 2

I've only read the last few posts of this thread but where you can refuel at Costco. Costco is about 10p per litre cheaper than all my local supermarkets and 15p cheaper than the likes of Shell/BP.

• Like 2

Hi jack,

Yes you may well be right but first you have to have a Costco petrol station in you county, should this be the case it has to be within a reasonable distance to fill up. In my case there isn't one.

Thanks for letting other members know the price difference.😃

• Like 2

My other goto filling station is Shell at Peterborough but that was high at 149.9 today with Esso sub 145.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Jack,

Yes you may well be right but first you have to have a Costco petrol station in you county, should this be the case it has to be within a reasonable distance to fill up. In my case there isn't one.

Thanks for letting other members know the price difference.😃

Membership also

• Like 2

I don’t make special journeys to fill up at a cheaper station.  As I refuel at half empty, I keep an eye out for the lower prices and visit in line with where I happen to be going, and then top up.

• Like 2

4I achieve about 14 miles per litre or 10p/mile.

Assuming 'cheap' petrol is 3p_ltr cheaper and a half tank fill is 18 ltrs, I could save 54p at the less expensive filling station.

Any route deviation is not worth it and 

• Like 2

Richard Turpin, aka *ick Turpin, alive and well and just north of Grantham. 

To the south, A1N, Gulf 148.7.

To the north,  A1, Great Gonerby, BP 179.9

Even Shell in town is around 150

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Roy,

How does Great Gonerby  BP justify 179.9p and I though we were expensive. :eye:

• Haha 1

The morrisons around here seem to drop a penny more. Screenshot_2023-11-03-16-02-08-962_com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.thumb.jpg.03803d9313311831e8ee5cf092737d31.jpg

• Like 2

Local Morrisons Wednesday 155.9p Down to 152.9p the lowest price they have dropped so far. If petrol prices are dropping there doesn't seem to be any news on why.

• Like 2

here we go again Local Morrisons Sunday 152.9p Today 154.9 what's changed in 4 days?:angry:

Weirdly my local sainsburys dropped again to 149.9! :confused1:

• Like 1

Thats the price up North Cyker but you can pay 5 pence more and thats not motorway prices.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bper said:

here we go again Local Morrisons Sunday 152.9p Today 154.9 what's changed in 4 days?:angry:

Bob, the only change that I can see is a slight REDUCTION in the price of Brent Crude!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links