Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My local Sainsburys went up from 138.9 to 141.9... literally the day I went to refuel! :crybaby:

Why does it always happen just before I refuel?? I swear they are remotely monitoring my fuel gauge... :unsure:

It's fairly simple Cyker, the matrix has you in its database.

It's the same for me, as soon as I started buying turnips the price shot up to 15p a kilogramme.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem is the bottom line - the net profit after tax. Companies measure their success by looking for improved net profit, year-on-year.   I have often wondered how companies survive when they announce a loss - perhaps in the millions of pounds.  This brought me to the conclusion that the announced profit/loss is based on the previous year’s results.  So, as each subsequent year is expected to be better than the last, a bumper profit gets announced as a loss if it is less than a substantial profit in the previous year.

This brings us to the recent excessive profits made by the energy companies.  Are these to be the new bottom line, in which case these companies will never accept going back to the levels of profit which were the norm until the abnormal price rises that produced charges for which consumers are now suffering?

• Like 1

If you think about it, when a company announces a loss, there is less company tax to be paid to HRMC. Obviously a company doesn't want to pay unnecessary taxes, so it is easier to declare a loss than a profit. The term creative accounting comes to mind.

• Like 1

Local Morrisons went down to £1.51p last Monday but today £1.55p a 4p rise in 4 days. It seems petrol prices are now on the rise due to a cut in oil by the producers,this has pushed up the wholesale price and it doesn't look like it will be heading down for some considerable time if at all.

It becomes apparent how oil produces like Saudi Arabia are able to pay mouth watering sums of money to entice football players away from the premier league. It has been reported they have some 17 billion to spend over the coming years.

So next time you fill up and see how much more we are paying spare a thought for these poor footballers who will have to play in air conditioned stadiums and will probably be drinking crystal champagne instead of water at half time.

• Like 2

My local Shell in Grantham 149.9 and Sainsbury 147.9.  My 'cheap' Shell at Peterborough now up to 149.9 again.  However out of town and in the next small town BP and Shell 147.9.

With these level local prices you can't convince me that there is real competition. 

• Like 2

So, fuel prices going up steeply now, up like a rocket then for a few months, then probably back down again, but to a higher level than the price we've been paying recently - we know the way this goes.

• Like 3

I had to fill up last night, for a work trip today. Paid 146.9p per litre

• Like 1

Posted on Friday that the local Morrisons raised petrol prices by 4p to 155.9p today they have raised again to 156.9p. This is sadly going in the wrong direction. 🤬

• Sad 1

If we find adjacent chain prices different,  perhaps we should challenge. 

"Why is your Staincoson's store here charging x pence more than your store 15 miles away charging x-3 pence."

I can understand two Shell stations being different as they are probably franchised but the supermarket?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

If we find adjacent chain prices different,  perhaps we should challenge. 

"Why is your Staincoson's store here charging x pence more than your store 15 miles away charging x-3 pence."

I can understand two Shell stations being different as they are probably franchised but the supermarket?

Hi Roy, I posted this response from them on a earlier post but this is part of the email they sent. Is this bs or what.

In the UK petrol prices vary from town to town and even neighbourhood to neighbourhood and we will always strive to be competitive in each local area. Also even the price in a specific petrol station can differ on a daily basis which is solely dependant on the fuel rate on that day. We continually review our prices and will look to reduce this difference as soon as we can.
In the UK petrol prices vary from town to town and even neighbourhood to neighbourhood and we will always strive to be competitive in each local area. Also even the price in a specific petrol station can differ on a daily basis which is solely dependant on the fuel rate on that day. We continually review our prices and will look to reduce this difference as soon as we can.☹️

• Haha 2

On 8/27/2023 at 10:14 PM, Bper said:

Hi Roy, I posted this response from them on a earlier post but this is part of the email they sent. Is this bs or what.

In the UK petrol prices vary from town to town and even neighbourhood to neighbourhood and we will always strive to be competitive in each local area. Also even the price in a specific petrol station can differ on a daily basis which is solely dependant on the fuel rate on that day. We continually review our prices and will look to reduce this difference as soon as we can.
In the UK petrol prices vary from town to town and even neighbourhood to neighbourhood and we will always strive to be competitive in each local area. Also even the price in a specific petrol station can differ on a daily basis which is solely dependant on the fuel rate on that day. We continually review our prices and will look to reduce this difference as soon as we can.☹️

I repeated what they said as I couldn't believe the BS. What is a daily fuel rate. Oh I know it's the price they think they will charge on the day.

Ah think of a price that'll do they will pay it then we can say it's everyone else's fault. job done next.🤬

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My C-HR definitely doesn't like Shell fuel. No change in my driving style or where I drive, but I am on 54mpg at the moment.

• Like 2

And why will fuel pumps not stop on a round number? Its always £20-0,1p or £50-01p

• Haha 4

I know what you mean, I'd always get 19.99 or 20.01 but never the 20!! Even when I could get it to stop on 20, between pulling the nozzle out of the fuel filler and replacing it in the stand, it'd somehow change to 20.01! :eek: 

These days I just fill it until it clicks and don't even look at the display...! :fear: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

I know what you mean, I'd always get 19.99 or 20.01 but never the 20!! Even when I could get it to stop on 20, between pulling the nozzle out of the fuel filler and replacing it in the stand, it'd somehow change to 20.01! :eek: 

These days I just fill it until it clicks and don't even look at the display...! :fear: 

I do the same.  For quite some time now, I treat half full as empty, then fill up until the pump clicks off.  After the first time, this costs no more than running until almost empty, then topping up to half full.

My habit stems from years of caravanning, when I used motorways regularly - always fully filling the tank before going onto a motorway (they charge the Earth).  Also, we have frequently been held up for ages due to an accident, and sometimes been diverted off the motorway and ended up on a circuitous route before getting back on course. In these circumstances, having plenty of fuel in reserve was a great relief.

• Like 3

With my current tank of Shell fuel, I am running until I am empty. I'm trying to get as much of the Shell fuel out of my tank as I can before I fill up again with Esso (my usual brand). Usually I fill up when I get to half a tank

• Like 2

Morrisons up again today from 159.9p to 160.9p. This is starting to be concerning as prices are going up on an almost daily basis.🤬

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty insane... I can't even think what the cause is this time!!

I was very lucky as I impulse-filled at a Sainsburys in Watford for 143.9, and the next day it was 147.9!

Round here it's 149.9-152.9 for the supermarkets and 154+ for the oil companies.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links