Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A New Record Mpg For The Sr180?

Djw John

The trip computer isn't the most accurate way of calculating mpg... mine always reads 2-3mpg higher than actual.

I use Fuelly to track mine ;)

Miles driven, divided by litres drawn x 4.54=MPG

Who needs fuelly :P :D ;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djw John

• Rick D4D

• cabcurtains

• OldSkoO1

Had my T180 for 2 1/2 weeks, covered 950 miles, averaging about 36mpg. Virtually all of those miles have been on long runs too. Absolutely appaling !

Previously had a 150HP diesel which never dropped below 45mpg, even with the hardest of driving, and most of the time it averaged about 50 ! We also have an Audi A3 2.0 TDi, that averages 45 and up to around 50 on a run.

I've read this thread with dismay since buying the car. There is clearly a major problem with some of these cars. Diesels like this should not be using this much fuel !

I have also found the trip computer to be very accurate. I calculate the consumption manually, as djw has described, always have done.

Mine is back with the Toyota dealer for investigation !

DD

i can get 40-47mpg (after the ecu update) doing 30 round the suburban roads of liverpool in cruise control in 4th gear when the engine is warm and also keeping an eye on the breaking, but as long as i dont go over 70mph on the motorway then as long as the engine is already warm i can easy get 40mpg

Please let me know what Toyota say about it dieseldrinker. Btw great name!

Hi 5!!! Yeah I went for a wee blast yesterday as well and got 30mpg but that did go up after it. Thats good going over 300miles!

Hi, interesting, mine seems to be like yours i`m struggling to get 34mpg. Around Edinburgh and on a motorway run.......... must be the Scottish roads. In fact on the motorway sitting at about 70 I only managed about 43mpg but now its down to 34mpg around town so in fact it`s a lot less than that as there is the motorway mpg in this. very dissapointed

This is about what I get, did get it upto 44.8mpg once on the motorway.

Impressed with that guy getting 54.7mpg. The only time I see that is downhill with the wind behind me!!!!

Not on Leith Walk or down Granton. South Queensferry and it`s silver.

OI!! You're doing me out of almost 3 mpg!! Check the pic again, i actually got 57.4mpg !!

You're just weird ;) Witchcraft or one of those eBay magnets or something ;)

Rick, djw. Will do, should know more by Thursday/Friday.

DD

The trip computer isn't the most accurate way of calculating mpg... mine always reads 2-3mpg higher than actual.

Cabcurtains..this intrigues me. You know the litres drawn and miles done but when you go to refuel how do you accurately know how many litres you have actually used. Refuelling could vary depending when you fill up. i.e. as soon as indicator comes on..xx miles after indicator on...how do I nail this down?

Fill it up till it clicks off twice.

Reset mileage.

Drive.

Note mileage.

Fill up till it clicks off twice.

Calculate litres drawn the 2nd time into gallons by multiplying by 4.54 and then divide miles driven by the gallons used.

eg 300 miles having used 10 gallons = 30mpg.

Cabcurtains..this intrigues me. You know the litres drawn and miles done but when you go to refuel how do you accurately know how many litres you have actually used. Refuelling could vary depending when you fill up. i.e. as soon as indicator comes on..xx miles after indicator on...how do I nail this down?

You know the number of litres used because its on the pump and your receipt. ;) The calculation is simply using the number of miles covered divided by the amount of fuel used, they are the constant factors, Just ensure the trip meter is reset after each fill up so you have a distance covered figure. :)

Do it over several refuels.

eg, fill the car up, note the mileage, then record all the fuel you put in, after 3 to 4 thousand miles, then refill. Work out the consumption based on djw's formula. After those sort of miles, it doesn't make much difference whether you let the pump click off once or twice. You will then have a pretty accurate idea of how much fuel your car uses.

Judging by the maths skills on here though, some of you guys could take years to clock those miles, it looks like some of you haven't left mum's apron strings yet !

DD

Dunno about imperial gallons, but my D-CAT (T180) has burnt 6.5 l/100 km on last 138000 kms. Average speed is 80 km/h and 1/3rd of the journey is made with studded winter tyres. I've burnt fuel in my Eberspächer every winter morning and forgot it running very often for a first 200 kms before first smoke.

Dunno about imperial gallons, but my D-CAT (T180) has burnt 6.5 l/100 km on last 138000 kms. Average speed is 80 km/h and 1/3rd of the journey is made with studded winter tyres. I've burnt fuel in my Eberspächer every winter morning and forgot it running very often for a first 200 kms before first smoke.

42/43 MPG :thumbsup:

42/43 MPG :thumbsup:

My lowest average consumption has been 5,8 l/100 km, average speed about 95 km/h on very quiet highway. My problem seems to be over-reacted overtakes, it feels so nice to give 'er full pedal and feel the thrust. Momentary consumption 47-60 l with no visible smoke on left lane... Honestly, it's boring to overtake just one car, I often collect them 3-4 into single row and then banzai attack... I think that every T180 owner should watch their driving habits and have some 1.4 D4-D days inbetween.

J

I have been and filled up today and reset the mpg etc, I drove like I was 70years old and still only can get 41.7mpg on local roads. We did 38.1 on the last tank.

Driving like your 70 isn't the best way to get good economy out of a diesel.

Get up to speed fairly quickly, not foot to floor but a good smooth squeeze of the throttle using the torque band between 1.6 and 2.5k rpm and maintain a steady speed. Set yourself a challenge, pretend your brakes don't work and don't use them, apart from the obvious need to stop.

Steady speed works quite well using CC on most roads apart from hilly / country roads.

So your not really driving slow and boring your using the throttle well but just adjusting your braking habbits and keeping a steady speed.

To be honest, i can give this advise but i dont think your economy will ever change because you drive how you drive and you drive where you need to drive and we all have different engines and oil grades and fuel types.

I know my car can do 44-47mpg on my journey, sometimes its not even that hard to achieve. The reason i only get 41/42mpg most of the time on the same journey is simply because i have to do the journey in traffic. Traffic is the worst thing for economy because you are constantly slowing down and speeding up. Speeding up uses a lot of fuel and when its constant it makes a big difference. Plus my journey is quite hilly so speeding up, up inclines uses even more. Thats why its v.important to maintain a steady speed.

Also slow acceleration can use more fuel than a quick burst. You are still injecting more fuel than normal on slow acceleration but the injection lasts much longer. If its a quick burst you inject more fuel but for a fraction of the time and with a quicker burst the extra power doesn't all come from more fuel injected like a petrol car, the turbo pushes in more air to make better use of the fuel.

Journey... Home ( North Birmingham ) to Torquay... Torquay to Eden Project... Eden Project to Torquay... Torquay to Home.

Average Fuel Consumption, by calculation... 42.5 MPG. Most of the motorway journeys were at around 75mph.

Heading from Livingston to Snadhurst tomorrow, it'll be good to see if its changed. So far its done better since being hammered at Crail 1/4 mile!

I find that too :)

Gear changes and consumption always seem better after hammering it. Clear out the soot i say!

Managed 39.3mpg down the road, trip computer said 39.2mpg so its pretty accurate still.

Its going back to the dealers for sure, it was only 2 of us with weekedn bags and 39psi in the front and 37psi and the rear and we took it easy, 7-80mph cruise. Had to put more in at Oxford. Basically for the 1000 mile round trip Ive spent £130 in diesel and when I weent in the megane last year it cost £80 and my Mums mazda 3 used about £80 as well, in the same traffic and same route.

Hi folks

I said I would let you know how I got on with the dealers and my my poor fuel economy. It's a very long story, but the basics. I took it back they did and ECU upgrade, no change. I took it back again, they kept if for a week, drove it around, achieved the same mpg, around 37 ! They also contacted Toyota UK who claim that 33 to 39 mpg is normal for this car. They have taken the car back and I am no longer a Toyota owner. The dealership were superb, and have sorted out my problem. I would recommend them to anyone. However, I would not recommend the 180 diesel engine to anyone. A diesel engine in a medium sized hatch should not us this much fuel.

As a comparison, not vey scientific I know, but it will give you an idea. I drove the T180 75 miles to drop it off, did about 39mpg at a very easy pace, drove back in the new car, an automatic estate at similar speeds, managed almost 50mpg.

Good luck to those that stick with it.

DD

You really think economy is really so bad in these cars? This engine has 177 horse power it must drink !

For the economy buy yourself 2.0 diesel :)

But other cars such as the Leon with the same power do much better than this. Id be more willing to accept it if Toyota advertised it as doing 35ish mpg but they dont.

Glad you got it sorted dieseldrinker. Mine being a lease car I dont think that will happen :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links