Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cts Supercharger

nrgizerbunny

serious kudos for this project dude! you have some big balls and serious engineering game!

Question on the IC side of things, you think youl notice any performance degradation from such a large intercooler on the SC? Obviously a massive intercooler on a turbo can often result in increased turbo lag and sometimes boost spikes. Do chargers suffer from the same effects? I cant remember if you mentioned what sort or boost you were planning on running earlier on either! :)

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nrgizerbunny

• KPARRIS-JONES

• CorollaD4D

• Clawliger

serious kudos for this project dude! you have some big balls and serious engineering game!

Question on the IC side of things, you think youl notice any performance degradation from such a large intercooler on the SC? Obviously a massive intercooler on a turbo can often result in increased turbo lag and sometimes boost spikes. Do chargers suffer from the same effects? I cant remember if you mentioned what sort or boost you were planning on running earlier on either! :)

I don't really know enough about engine tuning to be able to say one way or the other. My philosophy was to get the biggest one that would fit to get the temperature down as much as possible. I'm not sure why a big IC would give you more lag??

I guess it depends how quickly the rotrex can pressurise the large space in the intercooler, the off-set is that a smaller intercooler would ultimatly produce hotter less dense air which would'nt be good for boost either. Perhaps one of those liquid-air intercoolers would have saved a little on space, not entirely sure if they need maintaining though.

Thanks for the pictures, very nice indeed. :lol:

yeah its all down to the speed at which you can pressurise the volume of air from the SC's inlet all the way to the inlet valves. by adding the bigger IC your increasing that volume by a fair bit.

then theres also the old chestnut of, its bigger but the bit thats hidden by the impact bar will have a greatly reduced air flow and therefor almost be rendered 'pointless' :blink:

taking the exige s as an example the IC on that is about half the size of the engines head (maybe less!) but reliably churns out a nice peak power. obviously its a different type of SC, so may well be different. i have naff all experience on the centrifugal jobs.

pic-chore! :D

2005-Lotus-Sport-Exige-240R-Engine-1280x960.jpg

dont think im sniping, love the project, just curious as to the choice etc.

That my friend, is a piece of art!!

nrgizerbunny - I have to say brilliant project here, are you planning to keep the car once its complete??

Could a santa pod trip be out of the question??

Back to the intercoolwe debate, in the back of my mind I did think for supercharged set up on a engine like ours a smaller cooler would be better than a large one...but obv a large one is better than none at all.

It does seem like your S/C has got alot of sucking to do!!

well all these posts got me thinking so I decided to do a few calculations and I think I'll get away with it.

The discharge from the rotrex is a lot hotter than I was originally planning due to being restricted and it also gives me scope for a bit more power!

This is getting better and better as we go mate, great stuff and well done! :thumbsup:

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to get into doing some day. :yes:

KP

well this weeks update.

My new laser cut brackets have turned up. I ordered 3 to make up the minimum order. If anyone wants one let me know!

2011_0219_214535.JPG

here's some fine pitch high tensile bolts, not that exciting but when they are £5 a bolt, I thought it was worth taking a picture

2011_0219_214555.JPG

Rotrex oil cooler, I'll need to fab up a bracket for this

2011_0219_214610.JPG

Pipercross air filter, small but I hope it does the job

2011_0219_214652.JPG

Alternator bracket, 100% aluminium!

2011_0219_214711.JPG

Radiator brackets, the thin bits are mild steel so I'll get these painted.

2011_0219_214728.JPG

• 1 month later...

Finally got home and made some progress.

I have moved the coolant bottle to the back of the engine bay. The new coolant bottle is only 250ml which is 3x smaller than the factory bottle. However I do have a rather long length of hose going to it so factoring all this in and how much coolant expands by (water at 5litres = 100ml @ 90C), I should have no problems.

2011_0402_200152.JPG

2011_0402_200201.JPG

2011_0402_200223.JPG

And here's the completed wiring loom for the Apexi Power FC. I just need to get hold of one to try it!

2011_0402_200302.JPG

mmm... not great,

I've got a small leak from one of the nipples on the catch can. Anyone any idea what thread is one these things? its certainly not a metric thread or BSP. I'm going to give it a go with some loctite thread sealing cord and see if that works.

mmm... not great,

I've got a small leak from one of the nipples on the catch can. Anyone any idea what thread is one these things? its certainly not a metric thread or BSP. I'm going to give it a go with some loctite thread sealing cord and see if that works.

got a pic mate?if its not metric or bsp could either be unc,unf or could be metric fine? if the locktite dont work you could always drill it out and put a heli-coil in :thumbsup:

balls it leaked again.

I found the AN fitting inside had been filled with some sort of cack sealant. Anyway I've removed all that and resealed with loctite. Just hoping its worked! I'll put a few bar behind it to check.

A AN fitting is a aircraft union so it's imperial thread just depends if it's fine or course.

If you can get your hands on some prc type sealant that will seal it easily and hold a decent pressure.

Okay its sealed!

I bought the catch can second hand from Ckman and when he took it off he may have disturbed some of the nipples. Subsequently when I did it up they leaked! All fittings removed, cleaned and then redone up with loctite 593 and there are no problems.

Todays progress update, The resevoir for the supercharger is now in. That bracket took ages to make! you can see the new coolant routing, new brackets for the radiator, to tilt it slightly forward and the space that I'm now left with for my supercharger.

2011_0404_185111.JPG

2011_0404_185116.JPG

2011_0404_185126.JPG

Some really amazing engineering work you've done here NRG. Any ideas how long you're off fitting the charger and testing and what are your BHP aims? 250?

Not sure how long it will take to fit the supercharger TBH. I have got a bit more time off from work now so that helps. I need to mount the heat exchanger next, which could be seriously tight (not that the rest of it was not!).

I tend to fit an item and drive around in it to see if there are any problems. I've had a few issues (such as the coolant) and then fit the next item.

My theory is, if I change one item and then test it, I know where the fault is. If I'd gone hell for leather on the car, I could have a whole heap of faults.

Looking across the internet, nobody seems to have rotrexed a corolla yet. The reason for this is probably due to the size of the engine bay, it is much easier to fit a supercharger into a celica.

I'd like 250PS initially. I'm going to restrict power unless I do some bottom end engine work.

The other thing is I'm not sure how restrictive the stock exhaust is.

Hmm from my basic knowledge changing the exhaust allows turbos to spool up faster due to the reduction in back pressure? could the same effect occur with a charger or are they work in a totally different way?

I would have thought that it applies more to Turbochargers, mainly because the Supercharger is driven by the engine rather than the exhaust gas, thus the exhaust system doesn't need such drastic changes with an SC.

I really could be wrong and it's a wild guess.... :D

KP

to be honest that sounds like a very sensible explanation

My understanding was that KP is right, you lose temperature and pressure across a turbo, if you make it less restrictive downstream, the turbo will spin faster.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links