Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well it makes sense in different areas, esp. ones further apart, as they will source their fuel from different refineries, and transport costs will affect that too, but it makes less sense when pumps in an area that historically kept similar pricing are suddenly having such big discrepancies!

I'm curious to know if this will be a thing with EV chargers in the future too or if they'll keep a flat rate for particular brands...

Hi Cyker, Yes I understand with individual stores charging different prices due to location  and size of stores etc  but what I was trying to say was the difference between areas has not been just a couple of pence it has been 10-15p in many cases and that's what confuses me.

Surely if that type of price difference was equated to food prices across the board would this have been tolerated. 

Also what enables the petrol stations to drop or raise the price daily when they choose as the petrol has already been purchased and delivered weeks before and is sitting in store petrol pump tanks. 🤔

As for EV chargers who knows anything is possible depending on what day of week has a y in it.😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

First time I've made a note of it since this thread started.

Tesco momentum 99,E5 I presume.

£1.56.9/litre a couple of days ago.

Funnily enough, next door to the defunct cash and carry that had petrol pumps in 1973, 4 star@ £0.30/gallon.

Paul, You don't think that maybe they didn't empty the tanks when it was closed down and you could drop a rubber hose down and syphon it out. Just think 30p a gallon you could afford to go to a pub more then once a year and still have enough left over to buy food . 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to add to the confusion, we have 2 Essos both on 2 main roads into town, as said previously 1 always been most expensive, but the other Esso always been one of cheapest. That said the more expensive Esso just started in last year or so to be more competative prices. 

I just filled up today with Shell V power at 1.699, noted the regular unleaded was 1.549 so down a smidge, although I am alternating between the 2 when using our old Astra workhorse. What didn't help my fuel consumption was driving round the car park trying to find a space and road works yet again, don't you just love the christmas holidays!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Puglet said:

Just to add to the confusion, we have 2 Essos both on 2 main roads into town, as said previously 1 always been most expensive, but the other Esso always been one of cheapest. That said the more expensive Esso just started in last year or so to be more competative prices. 

I just filled up today with Shell V power at 1.699, noted the regular unleaded was 1.549 so down a smidge, although I am alternating between the 2 when using our old Astra workhorse. What didn't help my fuel consumption was driving round the car park trying to find a space and road works yet again, don't you just love the christmas holidays!

Is the difference between both Esso stations significantly different or is it 1 - 2p. If it is more i thought that maybe both are independent but apparently Esso does not have franchise outlets.🤨

• Like 2

At the moment it's only a few pence, but it never been more than 5p or so, in our town we don't have supermarket petrol to put pressure on the price, so Esso, Shell and Texaco always been roughly same unlike where my sister lives, Asda petrol means the BP garage opposite has to match the price, so when I'm there I do fill up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bper said:

Paul, You don't think that maybe they didn't empty the tanks when it was closed down and you could drop a rubber hose down and syphon it out. Just think 30p a gallon you could afford to go to a pub more then once a year and still have enough left over to buy food . 😅

Hello Bob, the site is now a hand car wash with an indoor go kart track behind it.

The car wash lads always offer to buy the tsport when I go for a wash, nice lads though.

The Tesco attached, is frequented by rough people with faces like a bag of hammers, mind you I get a few bits there when club card offers are on , and brave it out.

The derelict office supplies store next door is haunted.

And the builder's merchant adjacent that I have to negotiate past to get to these places,is beset by kamikaze transit drivers who have been denied a place at dignitas.

If I stay in one spot round there too long, I am interrogated about something called "spare change".

So, thanks for the suggestion,but on balance I will buy fresh petrol.

• Haha 5

£1.429 at BP in Sleaford and Shell at Louth.  Other suppliers on my journey all higher prices. 

Once again Louth had no E5. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

£1.429 at BP in Sleaford and Shell at Louth.  Other suppliers on my journey all higher prices. 

Once again Louth had no E5. 

Roy, are the higher prices on your journey local to you or some distance away. It's intesting to know as many stations often within a short distance of Lower priced stations have been seen to be charging significantly higher prices. This then looks like they are not concerned at being competitive .

My local BP and Esso are both 150p, need to come down so much more. Some indy around the country are selling 131, at one essar station in Whitchurch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Roy, are the higher prices on your journey local to you or some distance away. It's intesting to know as many stations often within a short distance of Lower priced stations have been seen to be charging significantly higher prices. This then looks like they are not concerned at being competitive .

The BP station is just off  5 junction roundabout.  About 3-4 miles outside is a station like Gulf at 6p higher.  In the Shell case I don't know of any nearby competitor.  The next station is an Esso one about 8 miles north on the outskirts of Grimsby at 10p more expensive. 

Where I live there is a Gulf station on the A1 at less than £1.50 and the in-town Shell at £1.569.  Sainsbury was £152.9.

The higher prices tend to be an a range based markup - it would cost more to travel to the cheaper station. 

• Like 2

Well it seems Rishi Sunak has refused to rule out the prospect of motorists facing a 12p-a-litre hike in fuel duty in the March Budget This just gets better and better as it goes along. 🤬

On 12/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, Roy124 said:

The BP station is just off  5 junction roundabout.  About 3-4 miles outside is a station like Gulf at 6p higher.  In the Shell case I don't know of any nearby competitor.  The next station is an Esso one about 8 miles north on the outskirts of Grimsby at 10p more expensive. 

Where I live there is a Gulf station on the A1 at less than £1.50 and the in-town Shell at £1.569.  Sainsbury was £152.9.

The higher prices tend to be an a range based markup - it would cost more to travel to the cheaper station. 

Yes seems prices are up and down and no real parity.

4 minutes ago, Bper said:

Well it seems Rishi Sunak has refused to rule out the prospect of motorists facing a 12p-a-litre hike in fuel duty in the March Budget This just gets better and better as it goes along. 🤬

Can’t see fuel duty going up when the fight to reduce inflation is a top priority 

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, Chriss27 said:

Can’t see fuel duty going up when the fight to reduce inflation is a top priority 

Finger crossed you are right.👍

• Like 1

Petrol down again 152.9p at Local Supermarket , anyone seeing any further price reductions. 

Bob, Our local petrol station is 147.9p it was 149.9p so gone down a bit. Have seen other stations in tje area going down as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed over the last few days our local Morrisons has been raising and lowering the price of petrol and diesel by 1p every day, not sure why.

• Like 1

Locally the cheapest E10, aside from Costco, is currently £1.41.8 (Applegreen).

• Like 1

Esso Supreme+ 99 E5 was 164.9 pence per litre at my local Esso last night.

• Like 2

If the average price of petrol is below 1.50p many places are still charging well above this.

Our local supermarket still charging 1.53.9p but this seems to go up and down each day.

• Like 1

My usuals are 146.9-147.9, Abridge Shell still in the lead at 145.9!

• Like 1

Little milestone round our way, Shell and Esso E10 gone to 149.9p, so it going in the right direction.

• Like 2

So on the subject of local prices.

Tesco's Extra on the Ricoh Arena Park, Coventry yesterday afternoon E5 was on sale for the same Puglet £149.9. E10 at £142.9

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links