Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

Peterborough Morrisons will be around 138.

• Like 2

149.9 locally hasn't gone down .

149..9p locally no change.

• Like 1

Drove through Yugoslavia almost 50 years ago.  There seemed to be two petrol brands, on in the south and one in the north.  Prices were fixed station to station. 

The same was true of beer, spit and saw dust or attractive small bar, same price.  What was not to like.

There can be no reason for a cut price supermarket brand charging a premium price in one area and a heavy discount in another other than milking its local customers.

• Like 4

Roy, I think this is what angers us motorists the disparity between the same branches of supermarket petrol prices.

Milking it's local customers is ironic considering they sell the stuff.  The same goes for food prices as well. Example was buying own brand bread which went from 57p to 85p in one week. 🤬

• Like 1

What gets my goat is there is no competition we have two petrol station opposite each other Shell and Gulf they are always the same price, how can that be right.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

What gets my goat is there is no competition we have two petrol station opposite each other Shell and Gulf they are always the same price, how can that be right.

It couldn't be a cartel could it.🤨

• Like 2

Went passed the Red House, Shell A43, 142.9 so Peterborough had the edge. Visiting another low cost Shell on Monday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

Some years ago, down South, at the BP HQ there was a BP filling station.  On the other side of the dual carriage way was another filling station, Shell.  Someone having a laugh. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bper said:

It couldn't be a cartel could it.🤨

It obviously is so why has it been allowed to go on so blatantly for so long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Some years ago, down South, at the BP HQ there was a BP filling station.  On the other side of the dual carriage way was another filling station, Shell.  Someone having a 

Duplicity 🤬

• Like 1

Our local supermarket has just dropped petrol from 152.9p to147.9p . Now is this price drop a coincidence that the Autumn budget is tomorrow. Have they got prior knowledge that petrol prices may be reduced. Perhaps they lowered them just before the budget so if Hunt does raises them they can say we did lower them even though they have been consistently higher then other petrol providers?.

• Like 1

Near local petrol station down 146.9 from 149.9 and seen a couple of other places 142.9 and 144.9

• Like 3

Local supermarket 1.47.9p. Are there any real price drops taken place or are they going to remain around this level and increase over time?

Anyone one else seeing prices drop?

My cheapest local has been at 143.9 for a good few weeks at this point, although my uncle says he found a Tesco in Hemel Hempstead selling for 138.9!

• Like 1

18 March one Shell station in Peterborough was 142.9 and the other a mile or so away 139.9, why? 

Nothing to do with the Morrisons half a mile before the latter, 😉

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Roy124 said:

18 March one Shell station in Peterborough was 142.9 and the other a mile or so away 139.9, why? 

Nothing to do with the Morrisons half a mile before the latter, 😉

Hi Roy,

Does your local Morrisons sell petrol as ours is 147.9p and was wondering what the petrol price was if they also sell it.👍

Bob, locally they don't, but at Peterborough it was less than 139p.  Stamford also sell petrol but we don't pass there, I expect it will be nearer 1.47 as the local Shell garage is at that price.

Is the sub 1.40 a loss leader to get people in?  I don't really see that.  I would fuel there if I shopped there and I would fuel there at that price point but not necessarily shop there.

I suppose I might go there, rather than Tescasdbury for groceries and fuel.

As an aside, the only thing our Morrisons has going for it is free parking in the town centre.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Bob, locally they don't, but at Peterborough it was less than 139p.  Stamford also sell petrol but we don't pass there, I expect it will be nearer 1.47 as the local Shell garage is at that price.

Is the sub 1.40 a loss leader to get people in?  I don't really see that.  I would fuel there if I shopped there and I would fuel there at that price point but not necessarily shop there.

I suppose I might go there, rather than Tescasdbury for groceries and fuel.

As an aside, the only thing our Morrisons has going for it is free parking in the town centre.

Hi Roy,

It would be interesting to get a comparison of prices across different area's that supermarket chains like Morrisons, Tesco's, Sainsbury etc charge to get an idea just how much of a price difference they operate between stores.

• Like 1

In Grantham we have Shell, Esso, Sainsbury and Asda.  They are within a mile of each other but only Sainsbury and Esso are in direct convenient proximity.  Esso is a couple of points higher and marginally the more convenient.

Of all 4 none is so cheap as to make it worthwhile to make a special trip.   They are all within a penny ot two.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Roy124 said:

In Grantham we have Shell, Esso, Sainsbury and Asda.  They are within a mile of each other but only Sainsbury and Esso are in direct convenient proximity.  Esso is a couple of points higher and marginally the more convenient.

Of all 4 none is so cheap as to make it worthwhile to make a special trip.   They are all within a penny ot two.

This seems to be a problem for many of us that unless you are  lucky enough to have a petrol outlet that is local and cheaper, they always seem to be miles away from your home making it uneconomical to travel to fill up.

Oil prices have dropped to just over 75$ a barrel which is low so why are prices not coming down in line with this?

• Like 1

I guess they will argue that they had to pay in advance at higher prices.  Of course they will forget to drop them later because of inflation and pay increases. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I guess they will argue that they had to pay in advance at higher prices.  Of course they will forget to drop them later because of inflation and pay increases. 

We've all heard the expression

Up like a rocket down like a feather

I think this really applies in this case. As I mentioned a few posts back, I paid £1.419 per litre on Sunday. While out yesterday, I passed a petrol station a £1.539 per litre. Someone is making a profit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Based on the fact that all petrol stations use the same base fuel, which comes from the same refineries. Why is the petrol from supermarkets higher in price then many of the traditional forecourt petrol stations. The incentive for the supermarket was to sell petrol as a loss leader to encourage shoppers into the stores to buy food. Why are the prices kept higher. Profiteering seems to be the only answer unless others know different.

If they do I would like to read the answer. 

• Like 2

I definitely agree that there is profiteering going on.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links