Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How much is enough?

Bper

Don't think supermarket ever really make petrol a loss leader, it just they make a few pennies less by having a lower price than others to draw in customers to do shopping as well. 

Now this is no longer the case, they are now one of the worse to keep price inflated when oil prices have dropped a quite a lot. My theory is that they are using this extra profit to offset a bit of their main business. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Don't think supermarket ever really make petrol a loss leader, it just they make a few pennies less by having a lower price than others to draw in customers to do shopping as well. 

Now this is no longer the case, they are now one of the worse to keep price inflated when oil prices have dropped a quite a lot. My theory is that they are using this extra profit to offset a bit of their main business. 

Totally agree but funny how our local supermarket has kept petrol prices high since the price increase but have just dropped 5p off the price just before Christmas.  

Maybe they are using extra profit on petrol to offset some of there business but with the price of the shopping basket going up and up and us as consumers never knowing the actual price we should be charged I fail to understand how they can lose any money.😠

• Like 2

Really don't think they are making a loss in any area of products of any significance. My assumption is that they are absorbing some cost somewhere along the food chain. (Increasing workers salary to help with cost of living?)

Also think all the supermarkets are sort of colluding by keeping fuel prices high, if one of them lower prices like the independence fuel stations, all other supermarkets would have to follow suit. Otherwise the pure greed is even more evident. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Really don't think they are making a loss in any area of products of any significance. My assumption is that they are absorbing some cost somewhere along the food chain. 

Also think all the supermarkets are sort of colluding by keeping fuel prices high, if one of them lower prices like the independence fuel stations, all other supermarkets would have to follow suit. Otherwise the pure greed is even more evident. 

Well if you read through the posts as members have given prices in there areas you will see the disparity between prices on the big supermarkets. They haven't all followed suit some have been low and others high. Yet the Shell, Esso, BP, etc have in many cases been lower then the supermarket prices.

No they are not making losses in areas except that Aldi and Lidl are increasing there market share due to lower prices which tells you who are overcharging. 😠

• Like 4

But but I like the Sainsburys donuts more than the Lidl ones... :unsure:

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

I hate when I think I'm buying organic vegetables and when I get home I discover they're just donuts.😁

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

• Haha 1

I am trying to understand what is happening with petrol prices at the moment.  I not sure if they are genuinely coming down or its the Christmas shoppers incentive. 

There was a indication a little while ago that they would increase again. I have seen a few petrol stations on our travels that have reduced prices but is this a temporary thing.

• Like 1

It's an old story, but I can't resist, given the doughnut theme.

Older members will remember the !Removed! Craddock cookery show on TV ,60s 70s, around that time.

!Removed!,an eccentric flamboyantly dressed lady, and Johnny, her straight man husband , presented a cookery show back then, it may have been the first one on British TV.

One episode they were concentrating on showing the TV viewing public how to make doughnuts,a fairly new thing to Britain at the time.

At the conclusion of the show, Johnny, straight man as ever, said "and if you follow the instructions precisely,all of your doughnuts will turn out looking exactly the same as !Removed!'s.

I think that this may be a true story, but I can't be bothered to fact check.

• Haha 3

Philip Harbin pre dated !Removed! Craddock, 1946-1951 and from 1956.  !Removed! started in 1955.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

It's an old story, but I can't resist, given the doughnut theme.

Older members will remember the !Removed! Craddock cookery show on TV ,60s 70s, around that time.

!Removed!,an eccentric flamboyantly dressed lady, and Johnny, her straight man husband , presented a cookery show back then, it may have been the first one on British TV.

One episode they were concentrating on showing the TV viewing public how to make doughnuts,a fairly new thing to Britain at the time.

At the conclusion of the show, Johnny, straight man as ever, said "and if you follow the instructions precisely,all of your doughnuts will turn out looking exactly the same as !Removed!'s.

I think that this may be a true story, but I can't be bothered to fact check.

Did you know that the middle bit of doughnuts has no calories. 😅

• Haha 2

So funny how the filter stops us referring to Mrs Craddock's first name 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Bper said:

I am trying to understand what is happening with petrol prices at the moment.  I not sure if they are genuinely coming down or its the Christmas shoppers incentive. 

There was a indication a little while ago that they would increase again. I have seen a few petrol stations on our travels that have reduced prices but is this a temporary thing.

Oil prices have come down quite a bit recently so petrol are coming down not just for Xmas. One or two indy stations are selling unleaded for 130. 

The suppose increase, it's rather speculation, is for next spring I think. This is not confirm. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Philip Harbin pre dated !Removed! Craddock, 1946-1951 and from 1956.  !Removed! started in 1955.

I didn't know that Roy, it pre dated my experience of early TV.

In Lincolnshire we only had steam powered black and white until 1973.😂

I do however remember the flowerpot men and loubie lou , and auntie Jean with some wombat or other,who had a catchphrase of "no thank you auntie Jean,I have had an ample sufficiency" when offered food.

This was a fascinating and innovative insight into the world of mass entertainment for toddlers, for me in the fifties and sixties.

Before that though, you were given a hammer, and an old clock to entertain you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I didn't know that Roy, it pre dated my experience of early TV.

In Lincolnshire we only had steam powered black and white until 1973.😂

I do however remember the flowerpot men and loubie lou , and auntie Jean with some wombat or other,who had a catchphrase of "no thank you auntie Jean,I have had an ample sufficiency" when offered food.

This was a fascinating and innovative insight into the world of mass entertainment for toddlers, for me in the fifties and sixties.

Before that though, you were given a hammer, and an old clock to entertain you.

Paul, auntie Jean was tingha and tucker. Steam powered black and white TV. I didn't think you had electricity up there till early 2000s.😆

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

So funny how the filter stops us referring to Mrs Craddock's first name 🤣

I think it may be the auto profanity filter, possibly the American meaning.

Either way, I told this possibly true story to a retired nun, and she laughed like a drain.

Which may also be true.

But this diminutive of the female name, Francis is perfectly legitimate,or was, going back a ways.

No worries though, even though it completely destroyed my punchline,😂

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bper said:

Paul, auntie Jean was tingha and tucker. Steam powered black and white TV. I didn't think you had electricity up there till early 2000s.😆

Ah ,ok , and you've just reminded me of Willie wombat, wasn't that the same show?

And we did have electric power after the Queen opened Pelham bridge in 1958, alongside the Witham and Rustons water wheel generating station at stamp end.

It was that the new fangled electric TV did not become affordable until unionised wages crept up to five groats and 3 farthings a week, for skilled men.

I had to go next door to borrow the roasting tin in order to enable my mum to make gravy to go with the turnips.

• Haha 3

This week our nearest Esso was cheaper (1.539) than Shell (1.559) wasn't like that few weeks ago, I'll stick with Shell, but our local Esso burnt their bridges with me years ago cos they were always the most expensive so I gave up checking!

• Like 2

Weirdly my former go-to sainsburys has been creeping up (154.9 at last check, up 4p!), while the morrisons near it dropped a penny to 149.9...

Abridge is still winning!

• Like 2

Local to me, Leamington Spa Warwick's, Sainsbury's are selling petrol for £1.55 and Asda and Tesco's nearby have it for £1.47 and £1.49 respectively.

Sainsury's always used to be the best priced but seems I'll be filling up elsewhere it they keep that price difference.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

Weirdly my former go-to sainsburys has been creeping up (154.9 at last check, up 4p!), while the morrisons near it dropped a penny to 149.9...

Abridge is still winning!

Still can't understand how Morrisons have such different petrol prices from area to area .

Your local Morrisons 149.9 our local Morrisons 154.9  🤬

15 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

I am paying £1.61 at the local Sainsburys but that is for E5.

What are other Sainsburys around the area charging. Are they higher or lower.?

10 minutes ago, Bper said:

What are other Sainsburys around the area charging. Are they higher or lower.?

Don't know if this will actually work but have posted a link to petrol prices around my  area:-

https://app.petrolprices.com/map?fuelType=2&brandType=0&resultLimit=0&offset=0&sortType=price&lat=52.3050251&lng=-1.5210721&z=11&d=5

2 hours ago, Bper said:

Still can't understand how Morrisons have such different petrol prices from area to area .

Your local Morrisons 149.9 our local Morrisons 154.9  🤬

Well it makes sense in different areas, esp. ones further apart, as they will source their fuel from different refineries, and transport costs will affect that too, but it makes less sense when pumps in an area that historically kept similar pricing are suddenly having such big discrepancies!

I'm curious to know if this will be a thing with EV chargers in the future too or if they'll keep a flat rate for particular brands...

• Like 1

First time I've made a note of it since this thread started.

Tesco momentum 99,E5 I presume.

£1.56.9/litre a couple of days ago.

Funnily enough, next door to the defunct cash and carry that had petrol pumps in 1973, 4 star@ £0.30/gallon.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links