Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross spare wheel

Tom E Pattinson

Sorry Bobby, my mistake. I didn't notice the "AWDi" in your bio. Unfortunately, the boot floor in that version of the Cross is higher to accommodate the rear electric motor and therefore the standard spare wheel kit will not fit. 😢

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/4/2024 at 5:07 PM, CPN said:

Sorry Bobby, my mistake. I didn't notice the "AWDi" in your bio. Unfortunately, the boot floor in that version of the Cross is higher to accommodate the rear electric motor and therefore the standard spare wheel kit will not fit. 😢

I'm thinking of getting a Space Saver to chuck in the boot (strapped down) for future longer journeys as back up.  However, I have read that the AA (and RAC) carry space saver wheels that fit 90% of cars, so is it really necessary!!

My Yaris Cross has 18" wheels (unfortunately no room in my AWDi to fit one properly), would the genuine space saver mentioned below be suitable and safe ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335376635083?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dt_qyog1s_e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=QAvtyY_dTt6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Bobby, my space saver is a 16 inch which have the same diameter as a shod 18 inch.

I think it is a one-size fits all.  Not sure about other Toyota models. 

On a rear wheel I noticed no difference in handling,  not had to use it on a front wheel.

• Thanks 1

@152bobby However, I have read that the AA (and RAC) carry space saver wheels that fit 90% of cars, so is it really necessary!!

Well no.  However with your own spare you can do a wheel change and be on your way in 30 minutes.  

I had to change two wheels in a month.  I have the Goodyear Comfort ones.   The first took 3 days the second next day.

With my own space saver, once I had the new tyres that was job done.   With an AA/RAC spare I am not sure how you return it to them. 

On one trip I made we got a puncture just before the ferry.  Caught the ferry in the knick of time then had to drive 100 miles in France until we found a garage who was willing to change the tyre there and then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 152bobby said:

I'm thinking of getting a Space Saver to chuck in the boot (strapped down) for future longer journeys as back up.  However, I have read that the AA (and RAC) carry space saver wheels that fit 90% of cars, so is it really necessary!!

My Yaris Cross has 18" wheels (unfortunately no room in my AWDi to fit one properly), would the genuine space saver mentioned below be suitable and safe ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335376635083?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dt_qyog1s_e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=QAvtyY_dTt6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As Roy has already said, it should be fine...

1 hour ago, CPN said:

As Roy has already said, it should be fine...

Thanks.  I just can't get my head round how a 16" wheel will be safe and suitable on a car with three other wheels which are 18", albeit for low speed and to really only get you to a safe place to get you either home or to a tyre shop. 🥺👍

I’d get one as near to the original diameter as possible especially on yours as it has front and rear differentials.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I’d get one as near to the original diameter as possible especially on yours as it has front and rear differentials.  

Yes, that's what I'm thinking, minimum 17", but if I come across a 18", I'll get that 👍

3 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Yes, that's what I'm thinking, minimum 17", but if I come across a 18", I'll get that 👍

The sizes don’t correlate, you need to check the diameter 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 152bobby said:

Thanks.  I just can't get my head round how a 16" wheel will be safe and suitable on a car with three other wheels which are 18", albeit for low speed and to really only get you to a safe place to get you either home or to a tyre shop. 🥺👍

Simples, don't confuse the diameter of the metal wheel, 16 inches, alloy wheel, 19.5 inches, and the diameter of wheel plus tyre at 26.5 inches.  The rolling radius is the same.

For the smaller wheels the rolling radius remains the same which is why a smaller wheel, which has more rubber, gives a softer ride.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Simples, don't confuse the diameter of the metal wheel, 16 inches, alloy wheel, 19.5 inches, and the diameter of wheel plus tyre at 26.5 inches.  The rolling radius is the same.

For the smaller wheels the rolling radius remains the same which is why a smaller wheel, which has more rubber, gives a softer ride.

Ok, I have been doing a bit more online research in regards to using a space saver wheel with a AWD SUV and from what I've read, I think if I want a wheel in case of a flat, I'm better off just trying to get a full size spare!!

Here are the two official space-saver spare tyres and their dimensions...

image.thumb.png.8ba2baa5a478b158c2da692976958867.png

If you feed the dimensions into a rolling circumference calculator (many online) and then the standard tyre sizes, you can compare...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

For the smaller wheels the rolling radius remains the same which is why a smaller wheel, which has more rubber, gives 

Toyota themselves list the 16" space saver for the Yaris Cross (see link).  The part number for the 16" is 42600-OUY11, does anyone know what the part number is for the 17" ?

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-yaris/toyota-yaris-mk-3/yaris-mk-3-accessories/toyota-yaris-2011-present-temporary-tyre-and-wheel-assembly-16/

3 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Toyota themselves list the 16" space saver for the Yaris Cross (see link).  The part number for the 16" is 42600-OUY11, does anyone know what the part number is for the 17" ?

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-yaris/toyota-yaris-mk-3/yaris-mk-3-accessories/toyota-yaris-2011-present-temporary-tyre-and-wheel-assembly-16/

This is not a bad price.. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386689786100?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nIzdUKa9Rzi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=QAvtyY_dTt6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Bobby, I have an Excel with 18inch wheels.  The space saver is 16 inch.  Both 16 inch spare and 18inch road wheel exactly fill the boot.  The important thing is the diameter of metal and rubber, it is the same.

• Like 2

Bobby, without checking, that eBay wheel would be a good deal.  The only thing is you lose boot space as the height in the boot is almost twice that of the space saver.  If you don't want the underfloor space, it is about 5 inches, than go for it.  With 5 road wheels you can do a traditional rotation and in the event of a puncture you are not having a distress purchase.

4 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

In fact, I listed the wrong Toyota Space saver, the one I listed was for the Yaris, not the cross.

1 minute ago, Roy124 said:

Bobby, without checking, that eBay wheel would be a good deal.  The only thing is you lose boot space as the height in the boot is almost twice that of the space saver.  If you don't want the underfloor space, it is about 5 inches, than go for it.  With 5 road wheels you can do a traditional rotation and in the event of a puncture you are not having a distress purchase.

Yes, I thought it's a good price with free delivery from Lithuania. I wouldn't be carrying it ALL the time, only on longer trips, such as Wales, Scotland, France etc.  Driving locally is not a worry without it is not a worry.

23 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Bobby, I have an Excel with 18inch wheels.  The space saver is 16 inch.  Both 16 inch spare and 18inch road wheel exactly fill the boot.  The important thing is the diameter of metal and rubber, it is the same.

I have no idea why or how you have arrived at that conclusion.

image.thumb.png.edcbc3f3c3f3df6752cbcdc7c533ec8b.png

They are supposed to be roughly the same size, well, diameter anyway... according to the eBay listing the space saver is 145/90r16 and if the Yaris Cross wheel is 215/50r18 they are close enough...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cyker said:

They are supposed to be roughly the same size, well, diameter anyway... according to the eBay listing the space saver is 145/90r16 and if the Yaris Cross wheel is 215/50r18 they are close enough...

image.thumb.png.fecb91a1d8cfa837e016f143cb22ae11.png

I suppose...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CPN said:

I have no idea why or how you have arrived at that conclusion.

image.thumb.png.edcbc3f3c3f3df6752cbcdc7c533ec8b.png

Hi Colin.  

can you message me on Messenger or WhatsApp pls.  

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 9:29 AM, Roy124 said:

@152bobby However, I have read that the AA (and RAC) carry space saver wheels that fit 90% of cars, so is it really necessary!

With my own space saver, once I had the new tyres that was job done.   With an AA/RAC spare I am not sure how you return it to them. 

I had a puncture that split the sidewall on my C-HR, the AA man turned up after about 90 minutes and fitted his space saver spare wheel. He then followed me to a Kwikfit and waited for them to fit a new tyre. If I'd had my own spare it would have saved me a few minutes wait, but the main advantage is that I'd been able to shop around for a new tyre, rather than pay Kwikfit's full price at the time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColinB said:

I had a puncture that split the sidewall on my C-HR, the AA man turned up after about 90 minutes and fitted his space saver spare wheel. He then followed me to a Kwikfit and waited for them to fit a new tyre. If I'd had my own spare it would have saved me a few minutes wait, but the main advantage is that I'd been able to shop around for a new tyre, rather than pay Kwikfit's full price at the time. 

And it should be the same brand as your existing tyres, otherwise you need to change two tyres that are on the same axle !!

Just now, 152bobby said:

And it should be the same brand as your existing tyres, otherwise you need to change two tyres that are on the same axle !!

I was lucky enough that they had the correct tyre and I didn't have many miles on the clock so wear wasn't a factor. £200 for a new tyre hurt though..... 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links