Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2022 RAV4 stolen

atartan

2 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

Ebay.Just put in Toyota anti theft stickers

regards Terry

IMG_2076.png

Looks good, thanks for the info. 

20 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

My plates are in place, they look more like a cage around the connection and do look neat and well designed.

I put my stickers in too.

Hopefully plates, stickers and stoplock make it a less easy target.

20231104_120327.thumb.jpg.7364e6908858e6dff62674a1f1af858a.jpg20231104_120330.thumb.jpg.fd725d0d1ca8141c544c0ea2bf1c14ed.jpg

Same here, plates fitted, stickers on and still using the Stoplock overnight or in car parks.

Not much else we can do except fit a third party immobiliser.

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, ELD1970 said:

How are you getting on with the Ghost? Looking at getting one fitted…

Its alright, you can not start the car as fast as without, however it keeps my mind at peace :), there is also apparently an app that cvan disable the ghost via bluetooth on your phone. But the company that fitted it did not recommend it due to ability of being hacked ( they can intercept the signa ).

• Like 1

I had my ghost fitted this morning, just a few button presses more to make the car go, I need to find the list of available buttons to decide on my final code but it’s all good so far.

• Like 1

Finally, Toyota have contacted my dealer with the campaign details for the plates. Without that they could not charge them back to Toyota. Anyway, the plates have arrived and the car is booked in for first thing Monday morning. It's the first one they have done so we'll see how it turns out.

👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

Finally, Toyota have contacted my dealer with the campaign details for the plates. Without that they could not charge them back to Toyota. Anyway, the plates have arrived and the car is booked in for first thing Monday morning. It's the first one they have done so we'll see how it turns out.

👍

Had mine done last week. Asked them to take photos so I can show my insurance company if needed, they emailed them to me so happy so far. 

• Like 1

Had the plates installed on my PHEV recently. It appears the cheapest way is through contacting Toyota Customer Relations, when asking the dealership directly the quote was significantly more.

What do the plates protect exactly?

10 hours ago, Lasser Drakar said:

Had the plates installed on my PHEV recently. It appears the cheapest way is through contacting Toyota Customer Relations, when asking the dealership directly the quote was significantly more.

What do the plates protect exactly?

I assume they block access to the wiring 😂

Should just cost £70 nothing more . They stop the electrical plug being pulled off from the back of the headlamps and then stopping a low life plugging a bit of kit into the plug and unlocking the car etc.

Fitted my stickers tooIMG_1400.thumb.jpeg.89af4fffb414a29e48c48473eaacd5dd.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hofmanns Toyota in Henley fitted mine today for my 21 PHEV after Toyota head office contacted them, after I sent an email to the UK customer services. 

They charged £70 all in, no VAT. 

Terrific service, washed it for me too. 

Very happy ! 

So essentially the plates are securing the connectors to the lights.

I know anything can be overcome with time but it does give some peace of mind.

I know you may think it is a positive move to show others the extra security being installed to prevent the Cam bus issue, but if I was involved in such practices, thanks for the detailed photographs, really helpful in finding a way to overcome the extra security now being introduced.

Somethings are better left, unexplained.

Just a thought!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moleman said:

I know you may think it is a positive move to show others the extra security being installed to prevent the Cam bus issue, but if I was involved in such practices, thanks for the detailed photographs, really helpful in finding a way to overcome the extra security now being introduced.

Somethings are better left, unexplained.

Just a thought!

I agree. Photographs were deleted earlier in the thread. I agree that it may be worthwhile removing these too.

26 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I agree. Photographs were deleted earlier in the thread. I agree that it may be worthwhile removing these too.

Hi, I’ve tried to delete the photos I posted but it’s no longer editable. Maybe only the moderator can do now. 

35 minutes ago, George22 said:

Hi, I’ve tried to delete the photos I posted but it’s no longer editable. Maybe only the moderator can do now. 

Members only have a limited time in which to edit posts. Mods can edit or delete without time constraints.

Photos in more than one post, showing the security update deleted. Perhaps a little more thought is needed before posting photos and Youtube videos relating to security measures, etc .....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Photos in more than one post, showing the security update deleted. Perhaps a little more thought is needed before posting photos and Youtube videos relating to security measures, etc .....

Thanks for that.

There is nothing to stop photos being shared via private messages if others want to see the finished results.

Anyone with access to the Toyota system can get the tsb with photos.  I would imagine the criminal gangs already know about this.

It will stop the opportunistic thefts and it will make an organised theft take longer with more noise as they will have to physically remove the cages.

That's the best you can hope for with a physical detterent.

56 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Anyone with access to the Toyota system can get the tsb with photos.  I would imagine the criminal gangs already know about this.

It will stop the opportunistic thefts and it will make an organised theft take longer with more noise as they will have to physically remove the cages.

That's the best you can hope for with a physical detterent.

I think that with this security modification the Rav 4 is definitely now no easier to steal than any other car on the road. We shall now have to wait and see if anyone with the security fitted gets their car stolen. Quite a job I would imagine.

I would encourage anyone with a Rav 4 to just get onto their dealer asap and get it done. The more done the better and that in turn will hopefully keep the Rav out of the insurance company's sight.

Terry

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Terry10 said:

I think that with this security modification the Rav 4 is definitely now no easier to steal than any other car on the road. We shall now have to wait and see if anyone with the security fitted gets their car stolen. Quite a job I would imagine.

I would encourage anyone with a Rav 4 to just get onto their dealer asap and get it done. The more done the better and that in turn will hopefully keep the Rav out of the insurance company's sight.

Terry

It is a good thing that the car(s) will now be much more difficult, or at least take a lot longer, to steal. It is unfortunate that the damage is still likely to be done in their attempt before they find the prevention. Even with the stickers from eBay a very visible deterrent is still probably needed, at least until such times as the word spreads.

Still, I look forward to my fitting on Monday even if the StopLock will be around for the foreseeable future.

Assuming that the Canbus cannot be plugged into somewhere else on the car . 

46 minutes ago, robo1 said:

Assuming that the Canbus cannot be plugged into somewhere else on the car . 

It almost certainly can (no pun intended). The problem would be getting access to it without setting off the alarm.

The thing about the existing attack vector is that access to the headlamp plug is easy and no alarm is triggered. If Toyota had not been so cheap and had fitted proper metal wheel arches then this problem would likely never have arisen.

Yes, I know why the liners are little more than cardboard. It's to keep the weight down. Lighter is better for emissions and emissions are better for eco-advertising and vehicle taxation classes. It's the same reason there is no spare wheel.

Any car that does not use at least signed CANbus messages will be vulnerable to similar attacks if the bus can be accessed for outside the car. It could also be vulnerable from inside the car if the attack replay can be performed  quickly enough that they can drive away before being apprehended.

1 hour ago, Strangely Brown said:

Any car that does not use at least signed CANbus messages will be vulnerable to similar attacks

I read that the reason the CANbus was not encrypted was encryption slowed down safety critical actions such as deploying the air bags. Would Toyota need to design a twin system with one unencrypted CANbus for safety critical actions and another encrypted for security / start up ?

Hi,  I emailed customer relations last night regarding protection plates, received the auto response by return, and got a favourable reply this morning.  Thanks to the comments on this thread I had asked them if it was possible to fit during it's 1st service in December and they confirmed in the email that they had already liaised with the service manager at my dealership.  Impressive response! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links